Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> New Muskie lures

Message Subject: New Muskie lures
FlyPiker
Posted 3/7/2021 6:09 PM (#976578)
Subject: New Muskie lures

Without naming products or manufacturers. Does anyone else get bored with the "new for 20xx" hype train where it's just a different size or slightly different combination of blade sizes, weight, etc... I know it's successful marketing, but just call it what it is instead of some brand new idea. There have been lures that brought innovative thoughts to old platforms, in a truly unique fashion that I get when the hype train rolls through town. A bigger version of the same bait a company made for 5 years is cool, but it's not some crazy new lure. Just be honest and be like, "Muskie dudes and dudettes, remember fish catcher x? We made it freakin huge!" Rant complete, thanks for reading.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/7/2021 8:40 PM (#976582 - in reply to #976578)
Subject: Re: New Muskie lures

It's no different than a new fast food sandwich or new beer variety in a can with cool new graphics. Companies need to adapt, or go the way of the Dodo bird. I already have a bunch of double #10 bucktails and 9" Suicks..don't really need any more.
ToddM
Posted 3/7/2021 8:44 PM (#976583 - in reply to #976578)

I guess anything can bother you if you let it. I look at lures, new or old or used and think about how it may or may not improve what I have,. situations where I may use it. Hype, popularity play no part.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/8/2021 10:03 PM (#976654 - in reply to #976578)

Lol, sorry. Crappy day at work and then watched some fishing shows hyping up the “revolutionary” new products. And yeah, I totally get it, it costs money to produce and r&d these products so they do what they can to make a profit. Still a bit lame.
RJ_692
Posted 3/10/2021 7:20 AM (#976718 - in reply to #976578)

i work in R&D at a large, non fishing related, company. Coming up with totally new ideas, that are reasonable and cost effective is really quite difficult. Its why you see much more stuff kind of built upon as time goes.

I'd also say i think it goes in spurts, somebody will find a way to do something new, then there is a rush on that. And it kind of repeats.

I started building my own stuff because i was looking for a certain quality level i don't find in a lot of production baits. At some point I'll probably sell some, but doubt I'd ever come up with any thing crazy new. I'm happy with great tools and killer paints lol.

There are a couple of good videos out this year where one of the Berkeley lure engineers is on shows talking about some of the new lures they h ave this year, and the R&D resources they put into them. Its an impressive amount to make a lure that is kind of like other lures yet totally different.
North of 8
Posted 3/10/2021 7:25 AM (#976719 - in reply to #976718)

Another way to look at this is that the companies are providing what the consumer wants. The consumer has shown that they are more interested in the sizzle than the actual bacon, so the company pushes the sizzle, whether that be a new color, a slightly altered bait (different sized blades on a bucktail). If it didn't sell, they wouldn't produce it.
upnortdave
Posted 3/10/2021 7:30 AM (#976720 - in reply to #976719)

I LOVE BACON!!! May try a piece on the back of a bucktail this year, bet it has a great wiggle
North of 8
Posted 3/10/2021 8:32 AM (#976726 - in reply to #976720)

upnortdave - 3/10/2021 7:30 AM

I LOVE BACON!!! May try a piece on the back of a bucktail this year, bet it has a great wiggle

LOL, and the fat would leave a scent trail for the fish to follow! Wonder if you could get a patent on that if you created a fourth hook to hold the bacon?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/10/2021 10:25 AM (#976730 - in reply to #976726)

I see what you're saying but a different size or combination of blades is a different tool. So it's basically new. I will say that there hasn't been really any actual new concept out in a long time. Just different variations of what already exists. I'm waiting for that day.
ToddM
Posted 3/10/2021 10:59 AM (#976734 - in reply to #976578)

The key is to build a bait then build the hype. Get a big name to catch a big fish on it. Pull your bait off the market or make them.scarce for a bit. We are easier to catch than the fish we are after.
stdevos
Posted 3/10/2021 11:13 AM (#976736 - in reply to #976578)

I have a suspicion of the specific bait this is in reference to because I had nearly an identical response to a "revolutionary" bait for 2021. I get it, it's far from the first time I've rolled my eyes at marketing. What marketers, in general, fail to realize is that over-hyping a product can hurt the image of the company down the road. If you over hype a product prior to it's announcement/release, it can be really deflating to the consumer when you realize this "new" product is neither revolutionary or even original. The next time said company attempts to hype something, I'm not likely going to give it the chance it may deserve.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/10/2021 3:59 PM (#976743 - in reply to #976736)

I have no clue what bait you’re referencing.

There is one newish concept out with the hellbender crawfish. I think it has potential in some very specific situations.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)