Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wi fish discussion

Message Subject: Wi fish discussion
ToddM
Posted 2/26/2021 4:47 PM (#976091 - in reply to #976090)
Subject: RE: Wi fish discussion

DWags - 2/26/2021 4:09 PM

Leechers stocked by me personally. Small 40 acre lake pan fish forage base. Central Illinois. Doing great.

I am curious, without naming the lake, what kind of lake is it? Green Gene showed they did not do well in impoundments. Gravel pit style lakes they seem to do better in.

Edited by ToddM 2/26/2021 4:48 PM
Musky Mob Guides
Posted 2/26/2021 5:32 PM (#976095 - in reply to #975738)

I catch multiple leach lake strain fish on the chain every year. and I know other people that do as well.
Rob C
Posted 2/26/2021 11:58 PM (#976108 - in reply to #975738)
Subject: Re: Wi fish discussion

The way I feel that this issue should be handled is similar to the sentiments discussed by Larry. Lakes that are part of the Mississippi river drainage should have Mississippi (Leech Lake) strain fish. Lakes that drain into the Great Lakes ought to have Great Lakes strain, and those small unconnected glacial lakes without a historical northern pike population should have the "traditional" Wisconsin strain fish.

One of the interesting points that has been brought up is the breeding of smaller individuals. Now, I'm not a biologist, but from what I understand it's important to ensure that there is diverse genetics in a lake to keep the population healthy. If this means taking eggs and milt from smaller fish then I am for this. I don't mean to say they should be using sub 30 inch fish, but I don't see the harm in using a few mid to upper 30 inch fish if that means the fishery will be sustainable for the long haul. If you only use a couple of upper 40 inch or 50 inch fish for stocking then any naturally reproducing fish will be inherently slightly inbred, which is never good.

As for the new reservoir effect in newly stocked lakes, this should be recognized and accepted as a short term phenomenon. As has been stated before with what was seen in Minnesota, the incredible fishing can only last so long. Yes, the lakes we have now could be improved with increased stocking efforts, but we will never see action like we saw 10-15 years ago. The only way to go back to these types of conditions is to start stocking new lakes, which we desperately need. Not just in Minnesota, but in the whole Muskie range.. Steve and others have talked at length about these types of stocking efforts, and we should follow the positive examples that have made progress in this area.
DWags
Posted 2/27/2021 11:55 AM (#976129 - in reply to #976091)

Crap I didn't realize my pics didn't post. Ill work on it. It's a very old coal strip mine lake. Filled in from farm land run off. Deepest spot is about 30 feet now. Moderate clarity to 10 feet or so.
DWags
Posted 2/27/2021 12:01 PM (#976130 - in reply to #975738)

2017 trying to attach pic here
ToddM
Posted 2/27/2021 12:35 PM (#976132 - in reply to #976130)

DWags - 2/27/2021 12:01 PM

2017 trying to attach pic here

You have to resize your pic. I usually pick 500 pixels as my largest side. Gravel pit lakes seem have decent survival rates for LL fish in IL. I don't believe any were used in the green gene study.

Edited by ToddM 2/27/2021 12:36 PM
North of 8
Posted 3/5/2021 12:24 PM (#976481 - in reply to #975738)

Not specific to genetic strain of musky but wondered if this might have something to do with decline in musky in some areas. Just read a story about the dramatic decline in Cisco in both Minnesota and Wisconsin lakes. The story stated they are big part of the diet of musky in lakes where they are present, with one biologist calling them a "stick of butter" because of their fat content. In Minnesota, over 640 lakes have historically held Cisco populations. But due to climate change, the numbers the DNR is finding in their surveys has declined 60% over the last 30 years. In Wisconsin, which has only about 140 lakes with Cisco populations historically, roughly 30% of those lakes no longer have a measurable population.
Those are both pretty drastic declines. Apparently the Cisco are not tolerant of changes in the water temps.

Edited by North of 8 3/5/2021 12:26 PM
RLSea
Posted 3/5/2021 8:23 PM (#976501 - in reply to #976481)

North of 8 - 3/5/2021 12:24 PM

Not specific to genetic strain of musky but wondered if this might have something to do with decline in musky in some areas. Just read a story about the dramatic decline in Cisco in both Minnesota and Wisconsin lakes. The story stated they are big part of the diet of musky in lakes where they are present, with one biologist calling them a "stick of butter" because of their fat content. In Minnesota, over 640 lakes have historically held Cisco populations. But due to climate change, the numbers the DNR is finding in their surveys has declined 60% over the last 30 years. In Wisconsin, which has only about 140 lakes with Cisco populations historically, roughly 30% of those lakes no longer have a measurable population.
Those are both pretty drastic declines. Apparently the Cisco are not tolerant of changes in the water temps.

This does not surprise me. The northern Minnesota lakes I used to fish 30 some years ago today look nothing like they used to due to eutrophication and silting. I can't imagine this is good for Cisco.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)