Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Green Bay Trolling ?

Message Subject: Green Bay Trolling ?
sniper
Posted 2/9/2021 2:56 PM (#975030)
Subject: Green Bay Trolling ?

Good Morning : Im brand new to the forums and I hope you can help me out. We just started fishing Green Bay last year. Trying to learn as much as I can regarding gear. Ive been talking to guides from up there and Im hearing that baits with rattles dont work as well as baits without for Green Bay muskys to the point where they wont use a bait with rattles. Has any got any got any info on this ?

Thanks Bob
mikie
Posted 2/10/2021 7:42 AM (#975056 - in reply to #975030)
Subject: Re: Green Bay Trolling ?

Guess I'd try hiring one of those guides for a day and then see what they say. m
bbeaupre
Posted 2/10/2021 10:41 AM (#975069 - in reply to #975030)
Subject: RE: Green Bay Trolling ?

I have caught many muskies on the bay on rattling lures. Nothing is cut and dry.

As for the gear question, make sure you have a large, high quality net, big enough to keep the fish submerged; a good hook cutter is a must; large pliers or hook removal tool and please leave the fish grips at home unless you know how to use them properly. I also recommend a set of fish holding gloves, no need to spend a lot just get a set of cowhide garden gloves (~$3) at home stores and they work just a good as anything.
vegas492
Posted 2/10/2021 12:15 PM (#975079 - in reply to #975030)

I once heard a very prominent guide on the Bay proclaim that Bulldogs and rubber baits don't work either.
I think it is fair to say that Bay Muskies are still muskies. They will drive you crazy with how they act. Some years it is bucktails, then it's rubber, then it's rattle, then it's non-rattles.
Load up the tackle box, run a lot of different baits and don't be afraid to swap them out early and often.
My little "key" up there is devising ways to keep weeds away from your leaders and lures. Early fall can have a lot of weeds in the water column that will foul up a bait, or get too close to the bait.
Figuring out a way to keep weeds far away from the leader is something I feel has put more fish in my boat.
sniper
Posted 2/10/2021 5:29 PM (#975091 - in reply to #975030)

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses.
Musky Mob Guides
Posted 2/11/2021 3:30 PM (#975123 - in reply to #975030)

They eat many things on the bay. As stated above, bring an assortment of baits and don't be afraid to think outside the box.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)