Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling via mast vs small boards

Message Subject: Trolling via mast vs small boards
pstrombe
Posted 2/6/2021 9:01 AM (#974878)
Subject: Trolling via mast vs small boards

I typically don't do a lot of trolling for musky but this year did some on trips to Green Bay using boards. I still have a trolling mast from my old salmon boat and could easily adapt same to my current boat. Why don't I see musky fisherman using a mast set up as it appears to offer some advantages. Is it weed issues, hookset issues or??
Thanks
North of 8
Posted 2/6/2021 9:15 AM (#974879 - in reply to #974878)
Subject: RE: Trolling via mast vs small boards

pstrombe - 2/6/2021 9:01 AM

I typically don't do a lot of trolling for musky but this year did some on trips to Green Bay using boards. I still have a trolling mast from my old salmon boat and could easily adapt same to my current boat. Why don't I see musky fisherman using a mast set up as it appears to offer some advantages. Is it weed issues, hookset issues or??
Thanks

Today's Musky Hunter show had Brett Alexander trolling Green Bay and using a type of mast system. Probably worth checking out. He catches a lot of big fish on the Bay.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/6/2021 9:39 AM (#974884 - in reply to #974879)
Subject: Re: Trolling via mast vs small boards

Mast is becoming more common in Minnesota and is fun as hell. Give it a go!
ToddM
Posted 2/6/2021 10:24 AM (#974888 - in reply to #974878)

Masts are very common on LSC even in smaller boats. They do take up alot of space in a smaller boat but have seen people troll 1 line by themselves and use one.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/7/2021 7:49 PM (#974935 - in reply to #974878)

I switched to a mast and big boards a couple of years ago and love it. The hook-ups are incredible, and I just love not having all of that stress on the rods and rod holders all the time. With that being said, I carry in-line boards a good portion of the year when we're doing "casting trips" just because they are so portable. If I know we will be only trolling that day, the mast is going on.
Zarkohl
Posted 2/9/2021 2:25 PM (#975028 - in reply to #974878)

Not trying to hijack thread, but am curious which type of Masts most people use, (i.e. brand name), how tall (4', 6' or ?). I have seen Mast in the center or one each side of the boat. Are there any that fit into a ranger seat base?
pstrombe
Posted 2/9/2021 7:17 PM (#975044 - in reply to #974878)

I took the mast hardware and moved it to an approx 2" x 3 foot aluminum tube that was then inserted into a an aluminum seat post and through bolted. With the mast in the front seat socket and extra height it should keep the mast line out of passing waves and I can reach the line to pop on my clips. Hopefully the seat bas can handle the pressure. That's the theory we will see how it works this year.
RLSea
Posted 2/9/2021 8:30 PM (#975048 - in reply to #975044)

pstrombe - 2/9/2021 7:17 PM

I took the mast hardware and moved it to an approx 2" x 3 foot aluminum tube that was then inserted into a an aluminum seat post and through bolted. With the mast in the front seat socket and extra height it should keep the mast line out of passing waves and I can reach the line to pop on my clips. Hopefully the seat bas can handle the pressure. That's the theory we will see how it works this year.

I have seen a modification of a mast system with an airplane cable support tying the mast to the bow in front of the seat base. I have been looking into Big Jon but would like to hear some feedback, too.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/10/2021 10:59 AM (#975070 - in reply to #975028)

Zarkohl - 2/9/2021 2:25 PM

Not trying to hijack thread, but am curious which type of Masts most people use, (i.e. brand name), how tall (4', 6' or ?). I have seen Mast in the center or one each side of the boat. Are there any that fit into a ranger seat base?

I originally had the two shorter Traxtech masts mounted just behind my windshild on both sides. It worked fine. I went to the single taller mast on my newest boat. The taller mast is definitely better for keeping the lines out of the water in waves, and you can put the boards out further without the cable sag ending up in the water. The only advantage I can see to the two shorter masts is that you don't have to go up on the bow to put the boards out, but you end up looking over your shoulder to see the lines and board as the boards are further back. With the taller mast mounted at the bow, you can see the line jump with your peripheral vision, right before the rod starts to load-up. This is one of the more exciting things to see in muskie fishing imo.
Musky Mob Guides
Posted 2/11/2021 3:33 PM (#975124 - in reply to #974878)

Masts on the bay are hard to use, most spots you will be fishing are smaller areas. The contours change very fast. It's not like fishing LSC. Boards are easier to maneuver on the bay.
leech lake strain
Posted 2/20/2021 6:57 PM (#975719 - in reply to #974878)

Run a mast, makes trolling even more fun. The sound when the line pops off is indescribable and is absolutely addicting!
leech lake strain
Posted 2/20/2021 6:59 PM (#975720 - in reply to #974878)

Run a mast, makes trolling even more fun. The sound when the line pops off is indescribable and is absolutely addicting!
Zarkohl
Posted 3/26/2021 1:19 PM (#977419 - in reply to #974878)

Is there a perferred brand of Masts for musky fishing (i.e., Big John, Riveara, Tex Track, . . .) and do they make a size that will fit in a Ranger 1880 front seat base?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)