Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sealing wood for baitmaking

Message Subject: Sealing wood for baitmaking
stephendawg
Posted 2/3/2021 4:30 AM (#974739)
Subject: Sealing wood for baitmaking

I use penetrating epoxy on boat mod projects, particularly casting decks. It occurred to me that bait makers are concerned about holding their wood baits together to withstand the abuses of musky fishing. Given what penetrating epoxy is intended for it seems like it would be a great product to bind the grain together before paint and final clear coating. It can be reduced by 100% with acetone to enhance penetration, especially on hardwoods. Anyone ever use it?
RJ_692
Posted 2/4/2021 7:15 AM (#974777 - in reply to #974739)
Subject: Re: Sealing wood for baitmaking

this is a very good idea. somewhere i watched a video of something similar where they had titanium dioxide mixed in also which gives you a nice hard, white sealed bait. i think i might have to give this a shot

i would say the biggest negative vs other common sealers, like say poly, is cost, and it'd be a bit more labor intensive.
stephendawg
Posted 2/10/2021 12:36 PM (#975082 - in reply to #974739)
Subject: Re: Sealing wood for baitmaking

RJ_692, Look in the "Bait making" message board. I posted the same question there and got a lot of info you might want to look at.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)