Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer jerking forward...

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trailer jerking forward...
Team_Ryba
Posted 1/16/2021 3:26 PM (#973739)
Subject: Trailer jerking forward...

We have a 2010 Ranger Reata and Ranger Trail single axle trailer. When moving forward from a stopped position, our trailer jerks forward. It seems to stop once I gain enough speed. Is this an indication that there is something wrong with the surge brakes? What needs to be done to correct this from happening? Any insight, information and/or suggestions would be much appreciated...
Thank you,
TR
OH Musky
Posted 1/16/2021 5:31 PM (#973747 - in reply to #973739)
Subject: Re: Trailer jerking forward...

Sounds like the tongue is sticking for the brakes. I had the issue on my Skeeter trailer. It had a bunch of dirt in the slide portion of the tongue so I sprayed it out with cleaner and used lithium grease to lube it. That was a while ago so I need to do that again. One other thing is if there is air in the system, it will slide back far enough to engage the lock which pops when moving forward. Also had the issue due to air in the brake lines. Took a while to bleed them because the lines looped up then down to the back of the calipers.
VMS
Posted 1/17/2021 10:12 AM (#973777 - in reply to #973739)

Hiya!!

OH hit it... Most likely just needs a cleaning.

Wouldn't hurt to check the calipers as well...clean them up, lube them as needed as well...

North of 8
Posted 1/17/2021 11:04 AM (#973785 - in reply to #973777)

Interesting. I have rented double axle enclosed trailers from U-Haul on several occasions and was pleased for the most part but one that I used to move my daughter from WI to Indiana jerked and pushed like crazy. Pulling with a 3/4 Ton truck and still beat me up. I figured it was something with the surge brakes but didn't know how to fix. I was so happy to dump that thing at the nearest dealer! I complained but they said the brakes were fine. No, they were not.
Team_Ryba
Posted 1/18/2021 2:53 PM (#973877 - in reply to #973739)
Subject: RE: Trailer jerking forward...

It would seem that my tongue is not easily sliding back to front or front to back. Does this mean that the actuator needs to be rebuilt or replaced? Has any of you guys had to do this? What is involved? Any information would be appreciated... Thanks, TR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)