Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tiller VS Console...w/ a Twist.

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tiller VS Console...w/ a Twist.
baddfish46
Posted 12/19/2020 10:10 AM (#972773)
Subject: Tiller VS Console...w/ a Twist.

Guys,

I would like you to give me any pro's & cons on using a Tiller Vs. Console style boat but with a key Twist.

Consider both options ONLY IF YOUR FISHING ALONE.

I fish for Eyes & Muskie and do alot of this alone... troll & cast- 65% trolling
Last year I used a buddy's small console boat and at times it was a bit hairy in higher winds with boat control/ netting fish, etc.. We all know how waves/ wind can be a crucial time to be out there.

I'm not trying to make a small problem big...but in watching alot of tiller style boats with good anglers CATCH ALOT of fish (Tom Boley)
Its got me wondering if I want to buy a basic tiller boat and put some really good electronics and motor on it.

I fish 75% inland Ohio lakes, with the rest being out on Erie, I don't expect to fish on Erie with a Tiller boat...maybe I'm making an excuse for having two boats!?? LOL
All comments are welcome!
Happy Holidays!

Edited by baddfish46 12/19/2020 10:12 AM
TCESOX
Posted 12/19/2020 11:11 AM (#972779 - in reply to #972773)
Subject: Re: Tiller VS Console...w/ a Twist.

When I firs started getting serious about walleye fishing, and was getting ready to buy my first boat, I went with a tiller for the boat control and roominess. I got a '88 Lund Pro V with a 60 horse Johnson two stroke. Mostly fished Mille Lacs, Leech and Vermilion. Ten years later, I was ready to get a new boat, and basically got the same thing, a '98 Pro V tiller with a 70 horse Suzuki four stroke. Not long after getting that boat, I started pivoting to Musky fishing. The boat was very good for musky fishing, with lots of room to move around with longer rods, big tackle boxes, big nets, and nice casting deck, but still handled big water when necessary. Ten years later, time for another boat. Got a '08 Pro Guide with a 90 horse Merc. four stroke. In a couple years I'll probably be looking at picking up an '18 Pro Guide. Might move up to a 20 footer this time.

Almost all of my fishing is solo (about 80%). About the only times I would like a console, is for quartering into the wind when on plane. I usually just tack, to avoid the spray. The sacrifice of boat control and roominess, just never seemed worth it to me, to have a console for those few time that it was any issue. On big water, once the waves get to a certain height, nobody can be on plane anyway, and the few times I have been caught in scary, dangerous waves, I was glad to have the tiller for safety, as the instant boat and throttle control was a blessing. I've considered getting a glass version, but have stayed with aluminum for the lighter weight and ability to launch at virtually any boat launch, no matter how sketchy. Also, very shallow draft for very skinny water. Every boat will have some negative for you. For me, the negatives aren't even close to overcoming the positives, for how and where I fish.

Edited by TCESOX 12/19/2020 11:14 AM
North of 8
Posted 12/19/2020 2:53 PM (#972785 - in reply to #972779)

I fish by myself most of the time. Being retired and living on the lake, I go when I feel like it. I have an 18' Pro V that I bought used in very nice shape with a 90 hp Suzuki and a 15 hp kicker. When I bought, motor trolling was not allowed in Northern WI, but was shortly after. I really like it. I still cast most of the time but do troll and it is great for that. It fishes three very easily, plenty of room. October and November it would be nice sometimes to have a console to hunker down behind but you dress for it. I have taken a pair of ski goggles out late in the year and used them when running on plane on the way home is a sleety snow storm but that would have been crap regardless ;>).
If I was fishing with young kids, that might be different. For now, when we have youngsters up, take them out on the pontoon which is a fishing model with trolling motor, etc.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 12/20/2020 8:16 AM (#972790 - in reply to #972773)

I'll play devil's advocate. If it's just you, why would you need the extra room that a tiller affords? Why sacrifice comfort for extra space that you don't need? I feel like a full windshield empowers me to stay out longer, and fish later in the season than I would in a tiller.

Center console?
medy
Posted 12/20/2020 10:23 AM (#972792 - in reply to #972773)

I have a tiller, and my one complaint I have when trolling is boat control when I get a fish on. It is a long way from the tiller handle to deploy the trolling motor and turn on autopilot to avoid blowing onto rock reefs.
If I didn't enjoy back trolling for walleye, I would probably have gone the route of a side console which still has ample open space/port side storage, but for late season musky fishing provides slightly more protection from the elements when trolling/driving
I would also make the argument Tom Boley should probably have a console boat for his style of fishing since he rarely back trolls (I cringe at his lack of splash guards).
North of 8
Posted 12/20/2020 10:35 AM (#972793 - in reply to #972792)

medy - 12/20/2020 10:23 AM

I have a tiller, and my one complaint I have when trolling is boat control when I get a fish on. It is a long way from the tiller handle to deploy the trolling motor and turn on autopilot to avoid blowing onto rock reefs.
If I didn't enjoy back trolling for walleye, I would probably have gone the route of a side console which still has ample open space/port side storage, but for late season musky fishing provides slightly more protection from the elements when trolling/driving
I would also make the argument Tom Boley should probably have a console boat for his style of fishing since he rarely back trolls (I cringe at his lack of splash guards).

The issue of holding position after hooking a fish is a problem, but would it be any better with a console? Still have to get up to the bow. I am getting an Ulterra in spring, that should make life easier. What I do now is have an anchor in the back, right under the kicker handle, tied off. I throw the kicker in neutral, toss the anchor over the side.
medy
Posted 12/20/2020 12:02 PM (#972796 - in reply to #972793)

Only marginally better in the distance, still not a win in my books. I agree the Ulterra is the best solution by far (unfortunately wasn't in the budget). An anchor would for sure work but I would ruin my day if a fish wrapped the anchor line and got off
TCESOX
Posted 12/20/2020 12:08 PM (#972797 - in reply to #972773)

I don't use the bowmount trolling motor after hooking up while trolling. I use the Vantage that is within reach of my seat, if needed. Usually, I just turn toward the basin as soon as I hook up, and once a safe distance from any potential trouble, put the motor in neutral. Complete boat control without moving anywhere. Net and hook out tools, all with reach. Wave Whackers are a must on a tiller boat. Like I mentioned, it's not perfect. No boat would be. They all have at least a couple of negatives. The comfort factor for me, would come in to play so infrequently, it doesn't overcome the advantages. Again, that is for me. I fish just as late in the season with the tiller, a I would with a console. I'm getting to the age that if it is too nasty for me to be out in my tiller, I probably don't want to be out in any boat. The bodies of water you fish at various times of the year, also play a factor in what works best for you. I like versatility, and if you get a product that can do multiple things reasonably well, you can find other products that will do one thing very well, it will probably be more limited in doing other things.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/20/2020 1:06 PM (#972798 - in reply to #972797)

I dunno, I'm a tiller guy. Don't backtroll at all. I just like to troll and after owning both style boats tillers just work best for me. I love, I really mean LOVE the open floor plan. The only thing I don't like on my current boat is it sits higher out of the water then I would ideally have. Last fall I sold my Ulterra, not because it didn't work, for me it was flawless. But rather to buy a foot control (Ultrex) trolling motor. I like casting and don't like messing with a remote or slow foot control pedal.

I just recently moved to Rainy Lake. I suppose I might look towards a windshield boat again (had them before) just because of the long runs I would like to take. The weather can change a few times a day so.............

I recently saw a Bimini set-up that incorporated a zip out windshield for a tiller that looked interesting. We will see.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC06291.JPG)

(DSC06296.JPG)

(DSC06305.JPG)

(DSC06316.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC06291.JPG (143KB - 495 downloads)
Attachments DSC06296.JPG (130KB - 418 downloads)
Attachments DSC06305.JPG (133KB - 408 downloads)
Attachments DSC06316.JPG (142KB - 355 downloads)
sukrchukr
Posted 12/20/2020 1:34 PM (#972800 - in reply to #972793)

North of 8 - 12/20/2020 10:35 AM

The issue of holding position after hooking a fish is a problem, but would it be any better with a console? Still have to get up to the bow. I am getting an Ulterra in spring, that should make life easier. What I do now is have an anchor in the back, right under the kicker handle, tied off. I throw the kicker in neutral, toss the anchor over the side.

you can motor troll with the bowmount in the water....hit anchor lock when the boat slows to a stop. With one line in the water, if you drift abit...so what
MD75
Posted 12/20/2020 1:42 PM (#972801 - in reply to #972793)

North of 8 - 12/20/2020 10:35 AM

I run a tiller. I just deploy the trolling motor before I start trolling. Then just hit spotlock and deal with the fish once it's in the net. Hope that helps!
medy
Posted 12/20/2020 1:53 PM (#972803 - in reply to #972801)

I fish Canadian shield lakes and know more than one person that has snapped a trolling motor shaft on high spots they didn't know existed on reefs. Same reason spare props are a good idea. Sorry for high jacking the thread, back to the initial question!
Ruddiger
Posted 12/21/2020 10:54 AM (#972825 - in reply to #972773)

Howdy,

I fished out of tillers for years! Great for fishing alone. However, if you have people fishing in the back of the boat the lack of a good casting deck and bike seat can get old for them.

Now that I fish with my daughter a rear casting deck and a bike seat are a must for her comfort. If I ever went back to solo fishing I wouldn't hesitate to go with a tiller again.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Cabbage Patch
Posted 12/21/2020 10:50 PM (#972836 - in reply to #972773)
Subject: RE: Tiller VS Console...w/ a Twist.

I went through 3 boats before I got the ONE. Lund 1875 Impact with a side console. Great layout and storage. Fish everything that swims in Wisconsin. Wish I would have done it in the first place. Great ride!!!
Ranger
Posted 12/22/2020 12:22 PM (#972849 - in reply to #972773)

Great question with lots of great ideas. One thing I didn't see mentioned is this....

A high-end bow mount trolling motor, with speed/direction/spot lock capability and a remote controller (hanging around your neck), combined with your transom gas motor in idle forward, is the ticket for a single person to delicately maneuver the boat in high wind. The transom gas motor provides just enough power to hold the boat stationary in the wind while the trolling motor keeps the boat pointed into the wind and sets the course and speed. First step is to set your motors...... put the bow mount troller in spot lock and trim the gas motor, in idle forward, up until the boat is stationary in the wind. Bingo, now you're using gasoline to provide most of the power necessary to manage your boat in high wind. But you won't be moving fast, you're moving as slow as you want using your bow mount troller.

This approach is especially useful when targeting open water high spots, like reefs and such. Approach from downwind, adjust your electric motor to hold the boat in place, cast directly into the wind and over the hump, then retrieve the lure right into the waiting faces of the muskies or bass or whatever. If you were to try to hold your boat upwind of the hump and if you have a problem then the boat is going to be blown over, or onto, that hump. Bad bad bad.

So, regardless of tiller or console gas motor, you want a great trolling motor on the bow.
North of 8
Posted 12/22/2020 4:00 PM (#972855 - in reply to #972849)

Ranger - 12/22/2020 12:22 PM

Great question with lots of great ideas. One thing I didn't see mentioned is this....

A high-end bow mount trolling motor, with speed/direction/spot lock capability and a remote controller (hanging around your neck), combined with your transom gas motor in idle forward, is the ticket for a single person to delicately maneuver the boat in high wind. The transom gas motor provides just enough power to hold the boat stationary in the wind while the trolling motor keeps the boat pointed into the wind and sets the course and speed. First step is to set your motors...... put the bow mount troller in spot lock and trim the gas motor, in idle forward, up until the boat is stationary in the wind. Bingo, now you're using gasoline to provide most of the power necessary to manage your boat in high wind. But you won't be moving fast, you're moving as slow as you want using your bow mount troller.

This approach is especially useful when targeting open water high spots, like reefs and such. Approach from downwind, adjust your electric motor to hold the boat in place, cast directly into the wind and over the hump, then retrieve the lure right into the waiting faces of the muskies or bass or whatever. If you were to try to hold your boat upwind of the hump and if you have a problem then the boat is going to be blown over, or onto, that hump. Bad bad bad.

So, regardless of tiller or console gas motor, you want a great trolling motor on the bow.

I have only hired a guide one time and it was on the chain where I live. While trying to show us how to fish a rock hump in one of the lakes he did just what you described. He wanted us to cast to the highest spot and to keep us on the right distance, this is what he did.
TCESOX
Posted 12/22/2020 8:56 PM (#972858 - in reply to #972773)

You can also use this technique to achieve the desired speed slipping down a river, if you feel like your going to burn through your batteries if you use your trolling motor only.
ToddM
Posted 12/25/2020 10:43 AM (#972902 - in reply to #972858)

TCESOX - 12/22/2020 8:56 PM

You can also use this technique to achieve the desired speed slipping down a river, if you feel like your going to burn through your batteries if you use your trolling motor only.

I bring extra batteries. I prefer all the control in my hand control trolling motor in this situations. Twist turn in less than a second. Current varies unless you are specific spot fishing the outboard will also need constant adjustment.

As far.as the initial question, it depends on where and how you want to fish. If tight precise maneuvers are required a tiller is a good choice as is a smaller boat. If not go with a counsole. I have one of each. My smaller boat is a tiller. I do troll with it but it's a pain alone because your eyes need to be in 3-4 places. My outboard also doesn't keep straight when a fish is on even though I tightened it.

Edited by ToddM 12/25/2020 10:48 AM
TCESOX
Posted 12/26/2020 11:50 AM (#972934 - in reply to #972902)

ToddM - 12/25/2020 10:43 AM

TCESOX - 12/22/2020 8:56 PM

I bring extra batteries. I prefer all the control in my hand control trolling motor in this situations. Twist turn in less than a second. Current varies unless you are specific spot fishing the outboard will also need constant adjustment.

Versatility is the key. I like having all the tools possible, at my fingertips. With the bow-mount controlled with a remote, and the Vantage and big tiller within arms length, I can use any combination in any direction, without moving from my seat. The only boat control device I need to move for, is to deploy a drift sock(which I don't use often, but can be the perfect tool in some circumstances). The tension adjustments on my outboard for both steering and throttle control, can both be set as desired, without loosening. The key is figuring out all the possibilities for the equipment you have and the conditions you are facing, and being efficient with them.
baddfish46
Posted 12/30/2020 8:14 AM (#973029 - in reply to #972773)

All excellent comments folks, one key thing I forgot to mention or someone reminded me of..
My son is 6, and loves to fish... Having the big windshield for a kid seems like a no-brainer.,
especially when he wants to go fast to the next spot or pulling a tube.

Masqui-Ninja- your comment really sticks and makes sense.

I'm with ToddM- have both versions in your garage!

It seems that when I really drill down to the fishing techniques that I typically use:
Jigging/Drifting for eyes- Tiller style
Casting alone for eyes/muskie- either style
Casting w/ partner eyes/muskie- consule style
Trolling alone for eyes/muskie- either style
Trolling Erie- Consule style

It seems consule wins out... Ahhh, its all a matter of opinion,
Thanks guys

RJ_692
Posted 1/4/2021 8:43 AM (#973136 - in reply to #972773)

i am currently in this same dilemma. I am 50/50 on going tiller vs Single console. Currently have DC.

For walleye fishing i'd take a tiller all day every day. But getting a decent casting platform in the back of a tiller leaves a lot to be desired.

Any console boat has much better cast ability (at least what i have seen).

If you make long runs generally the consoles are nicer, faster...however some of the big tiller setups are ok...but then you big motor and need a kicker on your tiller boat, which kind of defeats the purpose in a way.

I have been close to pulling the trigger on a couple of 20ft tillers, but just cant quite get myself to do it. (yet)

I still think the 690VS might be the best all around boat, but they are all getting old and finding a nice one is tricky. Still wish they made that boat new, or would sell the molds to someone lol.
TCESOX
Posted 1/4/2021 5:52 PM (#973147 - in reply to #973136)

RJ_692 - 1/4/2021 8:43 AM

i am currently in this same dilemma. I am 50/50 on going tiller vs Single console. Currently have DC.

For walleye fishing i'd take a tiller all day every day. But getting a decent casting platform in the back of a tiller leaves a lot to be desired.

If you make long runs generally the consoles are nicer, faster...however some of the big tiller setups are ok...but then you big motor and need a kicker on your tiller boat, which kind of defeats the purpose in a way.

I have been close to pulling the trigger on a couple of 20ft tillers, but just cant quite get myself to do it. (yet)

I still think the 690VS might be the best all around boat, but they are all getting old and finding a nice one is tricky. Still wish they made that boat new, or would sell the molds to someone lol.

When I got my last boat, I looked at console models as well, but after waffling back and forth, went back to a tiller. If I stay on my pattern of buying a 5 year old boat every 10 years, I'll be due in a couple of years, and will consider consoles again, but will probably go tiller unless I find a great deal. If your looking at a 20 footer with a really bid motor, yeah, you might need a kicker, but if you looking at something with a 90 horse, you shouldn't need a kicker. If your looking at a glass boat, the Recon tiller looks to have a decent rear casting deck, and has 15 9' slots in the rod locker. But it looks like it has the electronics on the wrong side. Even though my Pro Guide doesn't have much for a rear casting deck, I'm used to it. If I have someone else in the boat, I always take the back. Heck, I even use it frequently when I'm solo. Like I mentioned earlier, no boat seems to have it all. Just got to figure out which things you appreciate the most. Or win the lottery and have like 5 boats.
RJ_692
Posted 1/5/2021 7:21 AM (#973160 - in reply to #973147)

TCESOX - 1/4/2021 5:52 PM

RJ_692 - 1/4/2021 8:43 AM

When I got my last boat, I looked at console models as well, but after waffling back and forth, went back to a tiller. If I stay on my pattern of buying a 5 year old boat every 10 years, I'll be due in a couple of years, and will consider consoles again, but will probably go tiller unless I find a great deal. If your looking at a 20 footer with a really bid motor, yeah, you might need a kicker, but if you looking at something with a 90 horse, you shouldn't need a kicker. If your looking at a glass boat, the Recon tiller looks to have a decent rear casting deck, and has 15 9' slots in the rod locker. But it looks like it has the electronics on the wrong side. Even though my Pro Guide doesn't have much for a rear casting deck, I'm used to it. If I have someone else in the boat, I always take the back. Heck, I even use it frequently when I'm solo. Like I mentioned earlier, no boat seems to have it all. Just got to figure out which things you appreciate the most. Or win the lottery and have like 5 boats.

I do like the layout of that Recon. It is odd on the electronics placement. i'd be curious to understand the thought process on that one.
North of 8
Posted 1/5/2021 8:01 AM (#973161 - in reply to #973160)

One thought on the Recon tiller, from the photos it appears you have a choice of where to mount the captain's chair, port or starboard. I have an older 18' Pro V, with the electronics on the port side and captain's chair starboard. Works fine but I think having both on starboard side would work as well. My boat has no provision for mounting captain's chair on port side. Smashed my left hand up pretty good in a shop accident a few years ago and really wished I could have switched the chair around at that time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)