Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Shrink wrapping?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Shrink wrapping?
Pepper
Posted 12/14/2020 10:23 AM (#972628)
Subject: Shrink wrapping?

Question for those that do not have a garage or shed to store their boat. Do you rent a storage spot for indoor storage or do you shrink wrap it ? If you shrink wrap what is the cost? Any issues with collapse from the snow load?
North of 8
Posted 12/14/2020 11:28 AM (#972632 - in reply to #972628)
Subject: RE: Shrink wrapping?

Pepper - 12/14/2020 10:23 AM

Question for those that do not have a garage or shed to store their boat. Do you rent a storage spot for indoor storage or do you shrink wrap it ? If you shrink wrap what is the cost? Any issues with collapse from the snow load?

I store my boats inside but my next door neighbor has his pontoon shrink wrapped each fall and is very happy with it. They put up wood frame, somewhat similar to ridge board/rafter system and holds up fine in our Rhinelander snow conditions. He is very particular about his boat and if it didn't work, I am sure he would not do it.
Fishysam
Posted 12/15/2020 2:26 PM (#972673 - in reply to #972628)
Subject: Re: Shrink wrapping?

Does trap moisture if you have any, then they do get warm in the sun and it can rain several times through the winter. 10-15$ a linear foot. So 20' would be 200-300$ (around here) I never have done it I just get my broom out and clean the snow off my boat a few times a week. Probably need to do this if it collects on the shrink wrap too
Brian Hoffies
Posted 12/15/2020 4:50 PM (#972677 - in reply to #972628)

I have mine wrapped. Haven't seen a downside, better then leaving it sit outside uncovered IMO.
TCESOX
Posted 12/15/2020 5:52 PM (#972679 - in reply to #972628)

I always stored my boat outside, but too cheap to shrink wrap. I just use the custom snap on travel cover, then one of those decent generic ones from Fleet Farm, over that. Then a great big standard tarp, over that. Worked great for many years and three different boats. You do need to get out and brush off the snow, if you get more than about an inch. Two years ago, I got one of those garage in a box sheds from Menards. Costs about the same as one year of shrink wrap. I love it. Back it in there for the winter and forget about it.

Edited by TCESOX 12/15/2020 5:55 PM
colinj8899
Posted 12/16/2020 6:54 PM (#972714 - in reply to #972628)

I shrink wrapped my boat for 3 years and stored in outdoors in my Dads grove. Shrink wrap always held up fine. I had a 17.5 foot boat and they charged about $170 I think it was. I broke down this year and found a garage to store it in for 50 bucks a month. I did this because my Dad had a tree collapse on his trailer which is exactly where my boat would of been had it been winter.

I looked on Craigslist and found affordable storage. Usually this involves a guy who stores multiple boats or campers in his garage. I personally didnt want to pay a storage company 150 to 200 a month to store a boat. After searching I found a good deal and good spot for winter storage.

Edited by colinj8899 12/17/2020 5:27 AM
MartinTD
Posted 12/17/2020 12:01 PM (#972730 - in reply to #972628)

Like TCESOX I bought a tarped garage in-a-box type thing and have been very pleased with the purchase. The one I bought has the larger 2" tubing and when I bought it on sale it was less than what it would cost to put in storage for the winter. I figure even if the tarp material wears out in a year or two the frame should be good for a long time and I can always buy a large heavy duty tarp with grommets and attach to the frame. I have it set up on the east side of my house where it is protected from the wind and any tree branches that could potentially fall and rip it. I plan to be diligent about removing snow off of it too to extend it's life as much as possible. A friend of mine did the shrink wrap and paid $10 a foot but for a little bit more I felt like the shed was a better option.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/12/2021 11:53 AM (#975171 - in reply to #972628)

Can't beat a well done shrink job. The guys who are good at it will put multiple vents in the wrap.

I also see about a 100% failure rate (i work at a large marina) on self-made cover systems.
kap
Posted 2/13/2021 3:32 PM (#975211 - in reply to #972628)

I"ve shrink wrapped mine myself. Cost me around $300 to buy everything needed to to the process.
One roll of shrink wrap was enough to wrap my 20' boat five times. took me less than 2 hours to do the job
and holds up through out the winter. Snow can build up will melt off but i broomed it off to speed process
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)