Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Keel Guard Patch

Reply New post
Message Subject: Keel Guard Patch
IM Musky Time
Posted 9/25/2020 8:45 AM (#966551)
Subject: Keel Guard Patch

Ripped a chunk out of my keel guard on a stump. It's about a 4 inch long, 1 inch wide piece in the center. Suggestions on something that would work well and hold up as a patch for that section?
RyanJoz
Posted 9/25/2020 8:55 AM (#966552 - in reply to #966551)
Subject: Re: Keel Guard Patch

replace the whole thing. that is the only solution that will last.
Nomadmusky
Posted 9/25/2020 9:34 AM (#966555 - in reply to #966551)
Subject: RE: Keel Guard Patch

When I redid my boat I didn't have a keel guard, but I did have 30 years of hull issues I had to deal with.

I used standard fiberglass cloth, I believe I cut it to 3.5" and the proper length and then mixed West Marine epoxy resin and a slow hardener and put black color drops into it, (my hull is black). I had all of these items already so I didn't have to buy anything new. I had my boat jacked up on a car lift with straps, then I rolled under it, wetted out the cloth, and attached it.

Because you are working overhead, I found that wax paper worked the best, so I wetted it out on a bench, then rolled under the boat on a creeper, and worked overhead and the wax paper kept my hands dry and allowed me to squeegee it in, I again used my hands rather than tools so I could avoid and smooth out creases. By doing it that way I had less sanding which is horrible overhead on your back and the wax paper pulled off pretty easy after the epoxy resin kicked.

Be careful not to get creases in the paper or it adds more sanding.

Kevin

Edited by Nomadmusky 9/25/2020 9:39 AM
IM Musky Time
Posted 10/1/2020 9:00 AM (#966683 - in reply to #966555)
Subject: RE: Keel Guard Patch

Thanks for the response, Kevin!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)