Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer Bunk Replacement

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trailer Bunk Replacement
hooked
Posted 8/23/2020 5:39 PM (#965543)
Subject: Trailer Bunk Replacement

The other night as I was putting the boat back on the trailer at the landing, I noticed that one of the bunks has enough give to it that it's clearly cracking. Replacing it seems pretty straightforward; before I do, though, anything I should know?

Boat is a 16' War Eagle modified jon so it's not super heavy.
horsehunter
Posted 8/23/2020 8:40 PM (#965549 - in reply to #965543)
Subject: Re: Trailer Bunk Replacement

Pretty straight forward I've done it several times. If you have an aluminum boat do not use pressure treated ( especially the green ) The last one I did the owner of the lumber yard said the brown is supposed to be ok but why test it on your toys. I like the teflon or plastic covers but they can be spendy. If you use carpet just cover the top and sides so you don't trap moisture.
North of 8
Posted 8/24/2020 12:21 PM (#965563 - in reply to #965549)

I just got an email today that Overton's has an end of season sale on bunk carpet and bunk boards. Might be worth checking out.

I re-did the bunks on my boat lift this summer. I used the brown treated, in part because they were No. 1 grade lumber as opposed to the No. 2 grade used in the green treated. Put carpet designed for bunks on using pneumatic galvanized staples. For attachments, used stainless carriage bolts, recessed down so they don't come in contact with the aluminum hull. Treated requires stainless or hot dipped fasteners if you want it to last.
R code
Posted 8/24/2020 2:29 PM (#965570 - in reply to #965543)

Check out gator back bunk covers they will be on my next trailer when I buy my new boat.
Landry
Posted 8/24/2020 9:18 PM (#965584 - in reply to #965543)

Don’t wait until it actually floats away at the launch 4 hours from home on Dec 10 like I did.
That is all.
Just another memorable muskie trip. Lol
hooked
Posted 9/5/2020 7:03 PM (#965961 - in reply to #965543)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Planning to order the Gatorbak covers. Seem like a really nice set up!
mikie
Posted 9/7/2020 11:09 AM (#966007 - in reply to #965961)

I decided to replace my bunks, so I got the brown treated wood and ordered the bunk carpeting from a place in Florida. Thyey said they'd cut it to any length so I told them I needed it 8" wide and 25 ft long (2x4's are 10'4"). Well, I just got my order, turns out I did get 25 ft but the roll comes in 18 inch widths.
So, now I have abt 14 ft of some real good bunk carpet if anyone needs it! m
NPike
Posted 9/7/2020 5:26 PM (#966028 - in reply to #966007)

Notsure oftriler make. horeland has lot of assesories. They advised myagainst the gator sliders (that's direct from Lund). They worked well on my old Polar-Kraft?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)