Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> IS Tuffy Done Making Boats ??

Reply New post
Message Subject: IS Tuffy Done Making Boats ??
esox911
Posted 7/25/2020 8:07 AM (#963671)
Subject: IS Tuffy Done Making Boats ??

Just wondering if they have gone out of business as far as Boat Building--- Finally thinking of going to a Glass Boat.....
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/25/2020 8:27 AM (#963674 - in reply to #963671)
Subject: Re: IS Tuffy Done Making Boats ??

Maybe not dead but I believe on life support.
If you are looking for a small regional builder maybe check out Recon. It seems they are trying anyway.
sworrall
Posted 7/25/2020 9:31 AM (#963676 - in reply to #963671)

Actually Recon is busy, Marine Diversified is a dealer picking up Recon when Tuffy dropped their dealers. Their main issue has been availability of materials for finishing and like all builders this year big bore power.
OH Musky
Posted 7/25/2020 3:04 PM (#963682 - in reply to #963671)

It’s sad to see that in a time when outdoor activities, including boating and fishing, are at an all-time high that companies are struggling. Some of it is self-inflicted, some economy driven and some due to restrictions. Our company has been going nonstop with some modifications due to being deemed “essential”. These times do seem to thin the herd but I don’t think that helps in the long run.
secretbuck
Posted 7/26/2020 7:51 PM (#964709 - in reply to #963671)

My new Esox mag that I ordered should be ready in a few weeks. The virus delayed the boat making for a couple of months
Jeff Hanson
Posted 7/27/2020 3:46 PM (#964734 - in reply to #964709)

No They are not done or even close to that. They are as busy as they can be making boats. Biggest problem was getting motors during COVID. Tuffy Boats is doing fine. Not sure where or why these rumors start. They have been too busy building boats to work on their website.
I will be selling my 2018 1890GT at the end of this season and be ordering another one.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
curleytail
Posted 7/28/2020 6:37 AM (#964763 - in reply to #963671)

What Jeff says seems to be the case with people that have actually called the company or ordered a boat. People that don't seem to be in direct contact with them or assume a company's well being is based on a fancy website are the ones that have the negative reports. Or maybe some of those that have an axe to grind or some reason to promote another brand now.
North of 8
Posted 7/28/2020 6:54 AM (#964764 - in reply to #964763)

I go past their shop at least once a month to visit my father in law who is an assisted living facility a couple blocks away. Seem busy. There was a new hull outside last time. Small company, focused on boats. Have quite a bit of extended family in New London and the folks running the shop have a good reputation. Hope it works for them.
sworrall
Posted 7/28/2020 7:38 PM (#964781 - in reply to #964763)

curleytail - 7/28/2020 6:37 AM

What Jeff says seems to be the case with people that have actually called the company or ordered a boat. People that don't seem to be in direct contact with them or assume a company's well being is based on a fancy website are the ones that have the negative reports. Or maybe some of those that have an axe to grind or some reason to promote another brand now.

Or maybe they are average boat buyers used to boat brands keeping in touch with the boat buying public, hence the OP's opening question. Have to expect the negative guesses if nothing much in the way of information gets out of the walls of the factory into the public domain.

Eventually, the boat selling boom created by Covid will end and Tuffy will re-enter the marketplace because they will have to to sell boats and continue to grow, if that's the goal.

That's not 'an axe to grind' it's fact. Not once in the last 20 years did I honestly feel Tuffy was meeting it's potential, but that's another story and it was, when one really thinks about it, probably justified and still might be.

I'm proud to own a Lund and am delighted with the boat. Currently, that's the only boat OFM is 'promoting'. Easy to do... a great brand and great folks to work with.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/28/2020 8:57 PM (#964783 - in reply to #963671)

Way back before Covid I was asking about Tuffy. The lack of updated photos on the web site was my issue. I didn't bash them, just don't understand their approach to marketing is all. As the faithful have stated all I have to do is "chase them" to be able to spend my money. Unless they can provide a much, much superior product I see no reason I should chase them. Seems the major players would like my money as demonstrated by their web sites and dealer networks.
So i've moved on. Looking at the majors and even the smaller regional builders and start ups. I think they would be much happier with my money at this point.
RyanJoz
Posted 7/30/2020 9:30 AM (#964853 - in reply to #964783)

Brian Hoffies - 7/28/2020 8:57 PM

Way back before Covid I was asking about Tuffy. The lack of updated photos on the web site was my issue. I didn't bash them, just don't understand their approach to marketing is all. As the faithful have stated all I have to do is "chase them" to be able to spend my money. Unless they can provide a much, much superior product I see no reason I should chase them. Seems the major players would like my money as demonstrated by their web sites and dealer networks.
So i've moved on. Looking at the majors and even the smaller regional builders and start ups. I think they would be much happier with my money at this point.

I couldn't agree more. I was looking at a 2100, a skeeter 2060, and a 620. two of the 3 have more than enough photos and data to make searching for your next boat easy.
anderj85
Posted 7/31/2020 9:43 AM (#964893 - in reply to #963671)

Before i bought my new boat i contacted them to get some info or pictures and never got anything. I was genuinely interested in buying a brand new boat and as stated above, if you have to fight for any info it's easy to go elsewhere.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)