Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Garmin Side Imaging

Reply New post
Message Subject: Garmin Side Imaging
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/8/2020 3:04 PM (#957375)
Subject: Garmin Side Imaging

Has anyone used Garmin SI specifically with the GT54 transducer and compared it to a Helix gen 3 SI? From what I gather it's not quite as good but wondering if people are still able to see individual muskies in the open water as well as on structure.
Mojo1269
Posted 4/8/2020 4:26 PM (#957383 - in reply to #957375)
Subject: RE: Garmin Side Imaging

A buddy had what ever the latest and greatest Garmin stuff out last year was. The SI is a noticeable step down from my G3 Helix's. We did not mark any fish while out together but he stated it will but its not as clear as the Gen 3 Mega... Other than that he liked the gear.

Edited by Mojo1269 4/8/2020 4:29 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/10/2020 6:39 AM (#957448 - in reply to #957375)
Subject: Re: Garmin Side Imaging

Thanks for your response. I’m gathering a lot of people have not used it with the popularity of mega. I want livescope eventually so I was hoping to get a garmin to start the process. I’m just not sure about it though.
OH Musky
Posted 4/11/2020 6:25 AM (#957511 - in reply to #957375)

Garmin is using the same "mega" freqs that HB is using (or so the display unit at BPS showed) so they should have pretty close to the same resolution. I'm looking at getting one to replace my malfunctioning H10 Mega (SI doesn't work any more) then adding the livescope eventually.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/30/2020 8:37 PM (#959183 - in reply to #957375)

Kirby, you're always welcome to come tinker with my Garmin Ultra 12 side vu. LiveScope too. I'd say the side vu is really close to the Mega SI g3n.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/30/2020 9:36 PM (#959184 - in reply to #959183)

Masqui-ninja - 4/30/2020 8:37 PM

Kirby, you're always welcome to come tinker with my Garmin Ultra 12 side vu. LiveScope too. I'd say the side vu is really close to the Mega SI g3n.

I’ll take you up on that in June!
dbach17
Posted 5/11/2020 4:08 PM (#959697 - in reply to #957375)
Subject: RE: Garmin Side Imaging

As was stated, the frequency on the "high definition" side imaging is 1200 kHz on the Garmin, which I believe is the same frequency on the Hummingbird MEGA. I have an Ultra 12 and 10 and absolutely love it. As far as resolution, it's close, and you can absolutely identify fish. I think how Hummingbird does their color scheme helps with clarity, so you can play around with those settings to see if you find one that is best for you.

And if you want to add Panoptix, to me, it's an easy decision. I decided to go all the way and get the trolling motor too and couldn't be happier, especially with the gesture control to spin the Panoptix transducer. If you troll, you can see exactly how deep your baits are running and even watch them to see a fish look at it or strike (pointing the LiveScope transducer backwards).

I also love that I could buy those two units, buy additional mounts for $60 and then move them from the console to the front depending on if I'm trolling or casting. Rather than buy four units I only need two of the high end and can easily move them because I don't have to keep unplugging and re-plugging things in with the quick release brackets.

Factor in that, overall, the highest end Garmin setup is cheaper than Hummingbird and Minn Kota and that's a winner for me.
WILLEB
Posted 9/4/2020 4:20 PM (#965946 - in reply to #957375)

Thanks for posting this! I have first-gen non-mega H-bird side imaging and am planning to upgrade my electronics. I like the tip about pointing the panoptics transducer backward when trolling to see the depth of the trolled baits. I cast and troll about 50/50 each.
Any issues with the Force trolling motor shaft (57") being a bit shorter than a regular Minkota terrova? I have a deep V glass boat and the 60" terrova is sometimes borderline long enough when it gets really choppy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)