Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "****, put a 70 inch limit on it....(pointing) He's the only guy that will catch a keeper!" -Norm
- (Added by: Pointerpride102)

Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Message Subject: Central Wisconsin Open, June 6th 2020
tyler k
Posted 2/26/2020 12:18 PM (#954181)
Subject: Central Wisconsin Open, June 6th 2020

$100/boat advance entry, 60% payout.
Choose from 4 waterbodies: Lake Wausau/Rib River, Mosinee Flowage, Lake DuBay, and Stevens Point Flowage.
Proceeds benefit Wausau Area Muskies Inc Fisheries Fund (70%) and Youth Programs (30%).
Entry packets available here:
https://wausaumuskies.com/tournament/

If you are curious about last year's results, here they are. The thumbnail is catch rates were impressive!
https://wausaumuskies.com/2019/06/13/tournament-recap-stats/
TheShow
Posted 2/28/2020 8:17 AM (#954242 - in reply to #954181)
Subject: RE: Central Wisconsin Open, June 6th 2020

Sounds like a cool tournament; And I like the statistical breakdown in the results page. Very interesting.
tyler k
Posted 3/3/2020 12:04 PM (#955378 - in reply to #954181)
Subject: Re: Central Wisconsin Open, June 6th 2020

I am a stats fanatic. It'll only get worse from here on out LOL. In all seriousness, I know our local biologist really likes the stat breakdown, and I've been working with him to generate similar data on the local fishery based on this tournament, MI records, 2 leagues and right now 1 non-MI club (hoping to get 1 or 2 more to contribute).
Muskie Bob
Posted 3/3/2020 1:24 PM (#955383 - in reply to #954181)

Never enough stats to support a person's opinion. Always interesting to read and see how stats are evaluated by others offering their opinion. Some stats may be used to support opposite views.

Anyway, sounds like your stats support a positive view, which looks like the tournament would be a good one to fish. If I lived a lot closer, I probably would fish it. Those past years stats should draw interest. Best of luck.
tyler k
Posted 3/18/2020 11:32 AM (#956118 - in reply to #954181)

Just so everyone knows, I am monitoring the pandemic situation as it unfolds. Our tournament is far enough away I would hope that restrictions would be loosened by then; there are no current plans to cancel or postpone but that could change in the coming weeks. What I am doing for now is holding back on depositing any entry checks; I will notify my treasurer to do the same. If payment is by PayPal, I will hold it in PayPal until things settle out. So feel free to send entries in if you wish; we'll just hold the money for now.
North of 8
Posted 3/18/2020 3:37 PM (#956137 - in reply to #956118)

Good luck with your tournament, hope it is a go. Having grown up in Wis Rapids in the 1960s, less than three blocks from the river, it is so great to think the river again supports game fish like the musky. As a kid we fished the river all the time, but for bull heads and carp. On a visit last summer there was a group of young guys fishing from some rocks below the dam in Rapids who said they had just caught and released a musky. Back in the day, it was the same spot we caught big carp at certain times of the year. The filth in the river back then had to be seen to be believed, waste from the mills, half treated sewage, a chemical stew. When the clean waters act was passed in the early 70s, the mills lobbied to have the Wisconsin River designated an "industrial river", in other words, they could just keep dumping into the river. Thankfully, some powerful folks like the late Sen. Nelson didn't let that happen. The fishing community today owes a huge debt to him and like minded politicians, who actually cared about clean water.
tyler k
Posted 3/19/2020 8:32 PM (#956179 - in reply to #956137)

I believe it. Even when I was growing up in the mid-80s it wasn't too good--I caught a ton of bullheads back then, and wouldn't recommend eating anything from there! Now all the gamefish are doing pretty well. There still are some big concerns/challenges (phosphorus impairment, particulate runoff, AIS), but I think a lot of great work was done in cleaning it up and rehabilitating the gamefish populations to get to where we're at now. Running a club in this area my thoughts often drift to "the next fight"...it never really ends, you just face a different opponent.
North of 8
Posted 3/20/2020 10:01 AM (#956197 - in reply to #956179)

tyler k - 3/19/2020 8:32 PM

I believe it. Even when I was growing up in the mid-80s it wasn't too good--I caught a ton of bullheads back then, and wouldn't recommend eating anything from there! Now all the gamefish are doing pretty well. There still are some big concerns/challenges (phosphorus impairment, particulate runoff, AIS), but I think a lot of great work was done in cleaning it up and rehabilitating the gamefish populations to get to where we're at now. Running a club in this area my thoughts often drift to "the next fight"...it never really ends, you just face a different opponent.

Wisconsin Public Radio did a story this month about a group who is working to get an aeration system on a section of the Eau Pleine flowage that suffers winter kill due to lack of oxygen, largely from ag run off. So yes, still lots of challenges. For some reason Wisconsin still treats farms with kid gloves, like they were the tiny little mom and pop dairies of the 1940s, not the multi million dollar agricultural corporations of today. Time for that to change.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 3/21/2020 8:09 AM (#956232 - in reply to #954181)

The clean water act likely saved every river in this country. Those East of the Mississippi for sure. Lots of lakes also have benefited and as you both say lots of work to still do.

Good luck with the tournament.
tyler k
Posted 4/23/2020 1:23 PM (#958697 - in reply to #956232)

Just letting everyone know we've drafted some new rules to run this as a virtual tournament. A couple more changes to finalize and they will be posted to our website shortly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)