Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rain Gear feedback

Message Subject: Rain Gear feedback
chasintails
Posted 1/14/2020 9:40 AM (#952480)
Subject: Rain Gear feedback

I'm in the market now for some new rain gear. I've narrowed it down to the Sims Challenger series or the Huk hydra. Any one have any experience with either of these?
esox1980
Posted 1/14/2020 11:32 AM (#952492 - in reply to #952480)
Subject: RE: Rain Gear feedback

I also put the Simms Challenger up on my list. I bought the Simms Challenger suit last year and it kept my semi-dri one time. Do not plan on staying dry in a driving rain or a extended light drizzle type day. To top it off it takes forever to air dry. The Torray fabric soaks water almost immediately. I talked with Simms and the suit was sent in for an evaluation to seek warranty repair or replace. Customer service was responsive and more than willing to come up with solutions. Hopefully I get a suit back that is advertised and marketed as a rain suit.
tolle141
Posted 1/14/2020 12:30 PM (#952495 - in reply to #952480)
Subject: Re: Rain Gear feedback

Esox - you should be calling Simms as my group's experience has been nothing like that.

I went challenger two years ago and am very satisfied with my purchase. Tried on a lot of different brands (BPS, Guide Gear, Striker, Huk) as well as the Simms Pro Guide stuff. I choose the Challenger for a few reasons:
-fit: I'm 5'10" 162lbs so the slimmer fit of the Simms means less material getting in the way while casting
-Breathability: I went Toray because it wasn't as stiff as the Gore stuff in my budget and breathes better in hot weather. I run it all season, including into the high-80's in the summer. The Challenger breathes very well
-Price: my budget was $600

Highly recommend you try the brands you're interested in on and practice casting/figure 8ing motions with a rod. Most of the stuff I tried on constantly caught the rod handle

chasintails
Posted 1/14/2020 1:10 PM (#952498 - in reply to #952480)

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Were you guys both running the uninsulated versions? I'm finding mixed reviews on the challenger series product. Not the first that said it didn't keep them dry.
25homes
Posted 1/14/2020 1:19 PM (#952502 - in reply to #952498)

I love my challenger gear had it for 3 years and no complaints fishing 365 days a year in PA. I have the HUK Kryptek bibs and the next level HUK coat that's $350. Honestly the bibs aren't bad but are pretty thin and the coat for the money is disappointing IMO. Feel like the Huk next level coat is less water proof than the Sims $150 challenger coat...
chasintails
Posted 1/14/2020 2:27 PM (#952516 - in reply to #952480)

I don't think Huk has the next level or krypted series anymore. Looks like its hydra and leviathan.
Slime King
Posted 1/15/2020 8:11 AM (#952552 - in reply to #952480)

Simms challenger suit. I believe they had some colors of the suit on sale in the last couple weeks. On a side note, I had my friend order a Transom suit from simms when they were blowing out last years color and he got that suit at 50% off. He loves that suit as well. i have a Pro Dry suit from the first year they came out and it has been spectacular as far as keeping me dry and comfortable.
25homes
Posted 1/15/2020 12:43 PM (#952572 - in reply to #952516)

chasintails - 1/14/2020 2:27 PM

I don't think Huk has the next level or krypted series anymore. Looks like its hydra and leviathan.

Yea I saw that almost wonder if it isnt same gear with new pattern and new name. They also have cheaper rain gear thats like $99 for pants and $99 for jacket they seem really thin and cheap. I am a Big HUK fan but wasnt impressed with a couple of their products especially for the price. you pay $350 for a jacket you would think it would keep you warm and dry but that wasnt the case IMO.
Duffer58
Posted 1/20/2020 11:27 AM (#952779 - in reply to #952480)

Two other brands to look at are Sitka and Drake. Sitka rain gear will keep you dry all the time. The downside with Sitka is they tend to run slightly smaller in the same size as other brands. At 6' 270 lbs the bibs are tight. I picked up some Drake fishing rain gear and so far am pleased with it. Drake makes great waterfowl gear and they're expanding into fishing with their fishing rain suit. It fits me well and has kept me warm and dry in some nasty downpours. Their suit doesn't lack for pockets (so many you can easily forget which pocket you stashed something). My only concern is it might be bit heavy for July / August.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/12/2020 10:35 AM (#953713 - in reply to #952480)
Subject: RE: Rain Gear feedback

Simms Pro suit for me. Hands down the best, lightest and driest suit I have ever used in heavy rain. After every rain I can take it off and see no wet cloths. If money is not an issue the Simms Pro Dry is your best suit to keep you dry and not sweatting. Unbelievable quality but you pay for it and appreciate it every time you put it on and take it off.
chasintails
Posted 2/12/2020 11:43 AM (#953717 - in reply to #952480)

Thanks for all the imput. I ended up ordering the Simms Challenger set, and will let everyone know what I think after I've used it a bit. Quality company to work with so far, I'm really looking forward to getting it in hand and trying it out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)