Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Crimping Fluro Leaders

Message Subject: Crimping Fluro Leaders
ToothyCritter
Posted 8/22/2019 11:12 AM (#945744)
Subject: Crimping Fluro Leaders

What size Double Barrel Ferrule Crimping Loop Sleeves should I be looking at for making leaders using 180 LB Seaguar? I see all kinds of sizes most in Aluminum. Shouldn't I look for these in Stainless?

Any suggestions?
ToothyCritter
Posted 8/22/2019 11:46 AM (#945745 - in reply to #945744)
Subject: Re: Crimping Fluro Leaders

Found it.. Going with Copper in several sizes.

LCS13 Pro rigger Copper double barrel sleeves
Size: 1.3 mm x 7 mm, for 100 - 150 lb mono and 200 - 300 lb cable

LCS16 Pro rigger Copper double barrel sleeves
Size: 1.6 mm x 9.5 mm, for 200 - 300 lb mono and 400 - 500 lb cable

LHS16 Pro rigger Copper heavy duty double barrel sleeves
Size: 1.5 mm x 10 mm, for 200 - 250 lb mono and 500 lb cable

happy hooker
Posted 8/23/2019 1:43 PM (#945800 - in reply to #945745)

I've been making mono then floro leaders for years,,I just use a surgeon s knot no crimps,,never had one fail on the 80-130lb. Don't know if 180 will tie but it's cheaper and more convenient.

Edited by happy hooker 8/23/2019 1:46 PM
ToddC
Posted 8/23/2019 4:08 PM (#945805 - in reply to #945800)

I’ve been tying tarpon loop knots with hard mono or floro for years with no problems. If that knot can hold 150 -200 lb tarpon, for up to an hour, it will easily hold a musky for two minutes.
ToothyCritter
Posted 8/23/2019 4:37 PM (#945807 - in reply to #945805)

My knots suck on leaders. I use way too much line and they still look like crap.

Tried this and pounded a nail into the kitchen table to help to tighten it up it. The wife was not pleased when she walked in on me.

That was twice that day she walked in on me unexpectedly.
supertrollr
Posted 8/24/2019 2:58 AM (#945817 - in reply to #945807)

imo knot is a lot more safe , whit crimp you never know if it's over or under crimped . i guess you just could tell whit the best crimping pliers ? no crimp is a lil more versatile because it didn't add any unwanted weight for topwater.
VMS
Posted 8/24/2019 8:56 AM (#945819 - in reply to #945817)

supertrollr - 8/24/2019 2:58 AM

imo knot is a lot more safe , whit crimp you never know if it's over or under crimped . i guess you just could tell whit the best crimping pliers ? no crimp is a lil more versatile because it didn't add any unwanted weight for topwater.

Both have hit advantages and disadvantages. Knots in most cases are weak spots as cinching down a knot creates friction and heat...not a good combo.

If crimped incorrectly, an edge can rub and chaff on the line right next to the crimp.

If the correct crimp is used in the correct tool hole, and a mushroom is made on the fluoro end by the crimp the crimp is most likely not going to fail.

The difference in weight is most likely not going to even exist as the extra line will be very close to the same weight as a crimp..

In my humble opinion, it’s personal preference whether to tie or crimp. Doing both i feel is a touch overkill.

Steve
Ciscokid82
Posted 8/24/2019 9:55 AM (#945821 - in reply to #945744)

I used to tie, no fails. Now I crimp, no fails yet. Cleaner, definitely easier on my hands.
Ciscokid82
Posted 8/24/2019 9:57 AM (#945822 - in reply to #945744)

And faster and less waste.
supertrollr
Posted 8/24/2019 10:50 AM (#945827 - in reply to #945744)

do the test, pull as hard as you can and it will cut at the crimp.do the musky will pull as hard as you could of course not . but that simple knot could not do any surprise and if it is badly done you will see it right away ,once again not the case for crimp. i think that knot is that simple that i think it keep almost all the line power. if i would be you i would do knot especially if you don't got the best crimping pliers. btw both have never failed to me during real fishing situation. but i mainly use the leader whit knot since couple of years.
yeah steve both is so exaggerated like so many things in musky. so many guy cry when you use only 100 lbs crane swivel dedicated just to old a no8 colorado blades, same thing when you only use a 150 lbs splitring. for some reason they think musky are hard fighter. but only a 20 pound sturgeon or catfish will fight a lot harder than any musky out there and nobody get their line cut because they fight that hard lol. the extreme of the extreme whit the just in case syndrome

Edited by supertrollr 8/24/2019 10:57 AM
ToddM
Posted 8/24/2019 12:21 PM (#945830 - in reply to #945744)
Subject: RE: Crimping Fluro Leaders

Been making my own flouro leaders for 20 years. I do understand everyone's concerns. I crimp, it's so easy. Using the right size double barrel crimp and crimping tool is key as is not crimping down on the ends of the crimp. It also does not waste as much fluoro as tying does. Never had one fail.

I do like and thank you ToddC for the tarpon knot suggestion. I am going to try it. There seems to be several styles of the tarpon loop knot. This one caught my attention as it cinches straight compared to others.

https://youtu.be/gJrICZhKpXM

Edited by ToddM 8/24/2019 12:23 PM
VMS
Posted 8/24/2019 1:25 PM (#945836 - in reply to #945827)

supertrollr - 8/24/2019 10:50 AM

do the test, pull as hard as you can and it will cut at the crimp.do the musky will pull as hard as you could of course not . but that simple knot could not do any surprise and if it is badly done you will see it right away ,once again not the case for crimp. i think that knot is that simple that i think it keep almost all the line power. if i would be you i would do knot especially if you don't got the best crimping pliers. btw both have never failed to me during real fishing situation. but i mainly use the leader whit knot since couple of years.
yeah steve both is so exaggerated like so many things in musky. so many guy cry when you use only 100 lbs crane swivel dedicated just to old a no8 colorado blades, same thing when you only use a 150 lbs splitring. for some reason they think musky are hard fighter. but only a 20 pound sturgeon or catfish will fight a lot harder than any musky out there and nobody get their line cut because they fight that hard lol. the extreme of the extreme whit the just in case syndrome

I agree. When we look at an average fish being in the 40” range, we are talking about a fish that weighs close to 20 pounds. It maybe can create 50 pounds of force on a strike (tongue firmly in cheek here). I highly doubt either knot nor crimp on 130 lb fluoro or higher is going to fail unless there is a flaw somehow. Heck...I’d bet the only reason really for going so large on leader material is to try and minimize a bite-off, but it still happens with the heavy stuff too. I had one shear off on a fish (130 lb fluoro) and said enough of that... I went back to single strand wire..

Trolling, though, I’d have to reconsider that thought... I rarely if ever troll
zombietrolling
Posted 8/26/2019 10:03 AM (#945904 - in reply to #945744)

Google "Basic crimping techniques" with quotes and the first link will help with crimping leaders.
BNelson
Posted 8/26/2019 10:29 AM (#945906 - in reply to #945744)

tag the end of fluoro with a lighter and mushroom the head, pull tight to crimp and crimp correctly... me and many guys use the 180 lb leaders I make tons of 50+ inch fish, no failures..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)