Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Planer boards and hooking

Message Subject: Planer boards and hooking
sukrchukr
Posted 6/21/2019 3:34 PM (#941119)
Subject: Planer boards and hooking

Needing advice on planer boards.... having a tough time keeping them hooked..... do you keep the boat in gear after a strike or throw it in neutral like ive been doing?
Maybe abit tighter drag as well?

Edited by sukrchukr 6/21/2019 3:39 PM
woodieb8
Posted 6/21/2019 7:06 PM (#941130 - in reply to #941119)
Subject: Re: Planer boards and hooking

big boards,small boards?
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/21/2019 8:31 PM (#941134 - in reply to #941119)
Subject: RE: Planer boards and hooking

sukrchukr - 6/21/2019 3:34 PM Needing advice on planer boards.... having a tough time keeping them hooked..... do you keep the boat in gear after a strike or throw it in neutral like ive been doing? Maybe abit tighter drag as well?

I recommend not throwing it in neutral, just the opposite. We always turn the boat away from the strike and WOT on the kicker for about 5 seconds with the rod still in the holder... even with down rods.

This helps set the hook and put the hooked fish behind other baits in the spread... if you have your drag set correctly this can only help the hookup percentage.  

miket55
Posted 6/21/2019 8:42 PM (#941135 - in reply to #941134)

Jerry Newman - 6/21/2019 9:31 PM

sukrchukr - 6/21/2019 3:34 PM Needing advice on planer boards.... having a tough time keeping them hooked..... do you keep the boat in gear after a strike or throw it in neutral like ive been doing? Maybe abit tighter drag as well?

I recommend not throwing it in neutral, just the opposite. We always turn the boat away from the strike and WOT on the kicker for about 5 seconds with the rod still in the holder... even with down rods.

This helps set the hook and put the hooked fish behind other baits in the spread... if you have your drag set correctly this can only help the hookup percentage.  

This.
pete619
Posted 6/21/2019 9:25 PM (#941138 - in reply to #941119)

Funny you should ask this, because I just lost a nice one yesterday on a board-line. When are you losing them? If I lose one it is usually when I am taking the board off. It happens. Make sure your hooks are sharp. I leave the boat in gear until I have the rod under control, then hit neutral. I fish by myself most of the time so boards are a pain anyway.
TheShow
Posted 6/22/2019 5:01 PM (#941170 - in reply to #941138)

I use Church's walleye boards and here in northern WI I can only run a max of 3 lines.
I usually throw the boat in neutral once I have the rod in hand with solid tension on the fish. Sharp hooks and finding the sweet spot on drag helps.
ToddM
Posted 6/22/2019 8:44 PM (#941173 - in reply to #941119)

I am.with Jerry, keep the boat in gear. Steady pressure is key. Anything else invites slack. Avoiding slack is the key to taking off the planer board. I prefer taking my own board off and I banjo string the line to keep tension. I do the same for my boat partner. Avoiding slack should be engrained in your brain the second the clicker goes off.

Edited by ToddM 6/22/2019 8:45 PM
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 6/25/2019 7:49 AM (#941287 - in reply to #941119)

I fish solo with big boards and big baits a lot. It's a pain no matter what you do. I keep my boat in gear but at idle, about 2mph, until I get the board off, then I go into neutral. I used to keep the speed up for the first few seconds but I had a fish pull the board under the other day and straighten a hook.
wismedic
Posted 6/26/2019 12:33 AM (#941339 - in reply to #941119)

When I am solo I keep the boat moving until I get the board off. Once the board is off and I am direct line to the fish I will then put the boat in neutral. You are going to lose some fish when taking the board off alone.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/26/2019 8:11 AM (#941346 - in reply to #941119)

Yup...don’t go in neutral until you have the board off. Now, sometimes easier said than done, as if you have a 50” on and it wants to start dogging then sometimes you have no choice other than to shut her down
anglersplus
Posted 7/1/2019 8:37 AM (#941587 - in reply to #941119)

I guide on Green Bay, and most of what I do is planer board trolling. We never take the boat out of gear. I always have my bowmount down, and I use a Trollmaster to control my T8 Yamaha kicker. When we get a rip, I try to get the rod out of the holder as quickly as possible, and into my client's hands. My instructions are simply....REEL! At no time do I want any loss of tention on these fish. Once we get the fish stopped and turned, I'll slow the kicker and hit my iPilot on my Terrova, keeping forward motion but slowing to around 1 mph. This is done for two reasons: main a tight line to the fish and keep the other lures moving forward to minimize snagging. Last year we put over 40 muskies in the boat in late August and September, with only a couple lost fish on hookups. In the time doing things this way, I've never broke a line. I use 30 lb Trilene Big Game, taking advantage of its stretch.

Edited by anglersplus 7/1/2019 8:38 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)