Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Ideas for landing a big fish in the slop

Message Subject: Ideas for landing a big fish in the slop
kdawg
Posted 6/21/2019 7:28 AM (#941080)
Subject: Ideas for landing a big fish in the slop

I know the success rate has to be very low. I have hooked fish in the slop but never had the luck of landing one. Sometimes I did not even see the fish I've hooked, just reeling in pounds of slop. So what do you do? I use my heaviest jerk bait outfit, keep the casts short and accurate, and try to keep the fight as short as possible,bringing the boat to the hooked fish instead of letting the fish run through the weeds. Anything else I'm missing here? I DO NOT like fishing the slop, but under certain conditions, boating and fishing pressure etc., u have to. Kdawg
kdawg
Posted 6/24/2019 8:47 AM (#941230 - in reply to #941080)
Subject: RE: Ideas for landing a big fish in the slop

Slop fishing, a true under- utilized tactic. Kdawg
bturg
Posted 6/28/2019 2:21 PM (#941484 - in reply to #941080)
Subject: Re: Ideas for landing a big fish in the slop

Get them to the surface and keep em coming.
KenK
Posted 6/28/2019 2:34 PM (#941485 - in reply to #941080)

What bturg said. Take the lead from the bass guys and just horse them out. I fish very heavy slop most of the season and usually manage to pull them out of there.
FEVER
Posted 6/29/2019 9:54 AM (#941519 - in reply to #941080)

Not to hijack this thread but what are some of the baits that can get through the slop successfully. Thanks Tom
Sudszee
Posted 6/29/2019 11:42 AM (#941522 - in reply to #941519)

FEVER - 6/29/2019 9:54 AM

Not to hijack this thread but what are some of the baits that can get through the slop successfully. Thanks Tom

http://www.muskyshop.com/surface-lures/violent-strike-extractor-mar...
supertrollr
Posted 6/30/2019 12:38 PM (#941566 - in reply to #941080)

really great idea. it has to be more weedless than spinnerbaits
danmuskyman
Posted 7/1/2019 8:56 PM (#941615 - in reply to #941080)

How does the blade not foul in the slop? With a regular treble bucktail the blades foul almost as much as the hooks?
NPike
Posted 7/1/2019 9:52 PM (#941617 - in reply to #941615)

While yanking the fish out ASAP bang the butt of the rod a few times . Often shakes em up and gets em moving (at least it does 4 pike and bass.
kdawg
Posted 7/13/2019 8:16 AM (#942300 - in reply to #941617)

Horsing a big musky? That's something I would like to see. Kdawg
FEVER
Posted 7/13/2019 8:48 AM (#942301 - in reply to #941080)

One thing I've had success with is a Big Tooth Straight Wire Mini Spinner Bait. It has a single hook and willow leaf blade which I changed to a #5 Willow. Goes thru the slop pretty weed free. Give it a try. Tom
Stealthski
Posted 7/24/2019 10:30 PM (#943040 - in reply to #941080)
Subject: RE: Ideas for landing a big fish in the slop

FEVER, I always carry a half-dozen Bucher Slopmaster baits in my box when I head to LOTW. I throw the original twister tail away and put on a Kalins twister tail around 6-7" long in various colors (white and green work best for me). I keep various colors available because muskies and northerns tear them up. I'm usually repairing a couple every night I'm up there which is why I carry extra Slopmasters and tails in my boat. I add a snap swivel where the spinner connects and quickly change out spinner sizes, colors, and shapes as needed for conditions. Spinner size makes a big difference if you want to really rip them. Regarding getting through the weeds, the body (link below) is wide and spreads the weeds just before the hook goes through. The photo doesn't do it justice but that body is rather flat and almost as wide as my thumbnail. Going through lillypads and reeds, no problem at all. Thick weeds, sometimes. Rip them through and they usually come out clean. The single hook is also good around rocks and wood with less frequent snags on those. It's hard to mentally get used to a single hook from a logical standpoint, but I have good hook-ups and do lose fish occasionally just like I do on treble hooks. I only throw the bait away after I've filed the hook so much, that there's not much left to stick a fish. I always have one pole rigged with a slopmaster when I fish. I happened to check the Muskies Inc database a few days ago and sorted their data to get a feel of how things are going on LOTW this year. Note that people have 30 days to register a fish so data isn't completely up to date. Of 150 muskies reported so far in 2019, 9 fish were caught on slopmasters, or 6% of all fish. So there's the reason to consider one. I don't love slop, but go there because a lot of muskies live there.
Here's a link to the Slopmaster.
https://www.muskyshop.com/bucktails/bucher-850-slopmaster/
FEVER
Posted 7/25/2019 9:01 AM (#943062 - in reply to #941080)

Stealth, Thanks for the reply, Ill have to get a couple Slopmasters, Thanks, Tom
Ranger
Posted 7/31/2019 9:21 PM (#943542 - in reply to #941080)

Don't even try. Assuming you pin a big fish and you can get your boat over top how will you safely get her in the net? Prol can't. So, stick your hand down and pull her up by a gill? She thrashes and you get stuck on the same lure and your day is way more than ****ed up.
bwalsh
Posted 8/1/2019 7:28 AM (#943545 - in reply to #941080)

May want to give the Pearson Grinder a try. Adds a willow leaf to the mix, which may not get hung up as much. Great bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)