Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW or Lac Seul Late July or Early August Opionions

Message Subject: LOTW or Lac Seul Late July or Early August Opionions
Windy City
Posted 6/9/2019 11:28 AM (#940593)
Subject: LOTW or Lac Seul Late July or Early August Opionions

I am looking to book 4 or 5 days on LOTW or Lac Seul in late July or early August. Can anyone offer any past experiences on either this time of the year?

I know it's not the ideal time of year but I am planning on making a second trip late fall.

Looking for experiences not only on fishing but accommodations and what "pitfalls" that may be present that time of year such as insect hatches, etc.

First time fishing in Canada, not looking for a the "cheap" place, more about proper services and accommodations such as good food, boats, and locally well versed guides.

I am planning on making as much as possible of the trip via air travel (from Chicago) as I don't have enough time to burn behind a windshield.

2 Places I was considering are Crow Rock on LOTW and Anderson's Lodge on Lac Seul.

Planning on fishing with a guide every day.

Thanks in advance.
UglyPike
Posted 6/9/2019 10:58 PM (#940606 - in reply to #940593)
Subject: Re: LOTW or Lac Seul Late July or Early August Opionions

Went to Lac Seul last year Aug 16 had an amazing trip. Going again in about 3 weeks. Check the PM I sent you
FISHUNT
Posted 6/11/2019 5:07 PM (#940693 - in reply to #940593)
Subject: RE: LOTW or Lac Seul Late July or Early August Opionion

That is a great time of the year on LOTW. There may be occasional algae blooms that float around, but there is always clean water somewhere and the fish eat in the bloom areas, too. It is just harder and messier to fish. The patterns are usually better established than in the earlier part of the season.
GoalieDad30
Posted 6/11/2019 6:51 PM (#940697 - in reply to #940593)

Just a person opinion, but I do not enjoy fishing LOTW if there is a big bloom on the lake. So if it was me I would be on Lac Seul.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/12/2019 7:42 AM (#940715 - in reply to #940593)

Late July and even Early August is typically not big bloom time on LOTW. You might hit a pocket or two but it’s not going to kill a trip. Middle into late August is when it can get bad on the wrong week, and when it’s *that* bad it certainly can impact your fishing.
TimmyP19
Posted 6/12/2019 9:57 AM (#940724 - in reply to #940715)

Question in regards to the bloom on LOTW. From what I have gathered, You are able to run and find clean water to fish for the most part. The bloom seems to be random based on a year to year basis, and locations. So, it makes it very hard to plan around, and forces you to adapt, which can be fun anyways.

Edited by TimmyP19 6/12/2019 9:58 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 6/12/2019 10:50 AM (#940732 - in reply to #940724)

TimmyP19 - 6/12/2019 9:57 AM

Question in regards to the bloom on LOTW. From what I have gathered, You are able to run and find clean water to fish for the most part. The bloom seems to be random based on a year to year basis, and locations. So, it makes it very hard to plan around, and forces you to adapt, which can be fun anyways.

That sounds great in theory, but is not always the case. I was up there once in late August in a week of low 90s and zero wind and you couldn’t escape it if your life depended on it. It was neon green water from West Sabaskong to Kenora and was absolute misery. It was in big water, sheltered water, current, name it. And when it’s that bad, it 100% can effect the fishing in a variety of ways. There was absolutely nothing fun about it and no internet advice was going to help
Windy City
Posted 6/12/2019 12:37 PM (#940744 - in reply to #940593)

thanks guys for all the info. Items like algae blooms are something someone may not know or think about and can destroy a good time. It is also good general knowledge and the more people who know about it and are thinking about it the better as a whole. People can help stop such problems even if it is their own state or area. The desire to not muck things up in the environment either knowingly or unknowingly is stronger if it has real affect on someone.
Anyone who cares to "track" such algae blooms can do so here: https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p=geographic&l=BlueMarble_Shad...(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,MODIS_Terra_Chlorophyll_A,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines&t=2018-07-17-T00%3A00%3A00Z&z=3&v=-98.08028521976276,47.440169282835654,-89.64278521976276,51.557845064085654&ab=off&as=2019-04-14T00%3A00%3A00Z&ae=2019-04-21T00%3A00%3A00Z&av=3&al=true
You can scroll back in time on the bottom of the page, also check any area, lakes or coastal.
i am bumping back my trip until mid September, looks like Lac Seul for me.
Matt DeVos
Posted 6/12/2019 6:23 PM (#940764 - in reply to #940593)

I do an annual trip to LOTW with my brother in mid-late August. With a couple exceptions, that's been our timeframe since the late '90s. The green stuff is definitely present and can certainly get nasty. Varies year-to-year and location-to-location. Luckily, we haven't yet encountered a week like Brian mentions...sounds terrible.

The caveat is that in areas with heavier current (natural and/or wind induced) it can be amazing how quickly spots can sometimes clean out, or vice-versa, green up. We've had frustrations along those lines many times. It's true, when it's "that bad", spots can become basically unfishable. I certainly don't like the stuff but have to say that we've caught some nice fish out of some pretty green water. And obviously, we've continued with our mid-late Aug timeframe despite the green stuff. (Read into that what you will).

But yeah...if you don't like fishing algae, consider a July trip.

The worst algae conditions I've personally seen on LOTW have actually been in Sept.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)