Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Solo Trip To Eagle Lake

Message Subject: Solo Trip To Eagle Lake
ordmusky
Posted 6/4/2019 11:40 AM (#940330)
Subject: Solo Trip To Eagle Lake

I'm looking into possibly taking a trip solo to Eagle Lake. I've been to Canada three other times to a family friends place in Ontario (lake does not contain Muskies), but I want to take a trip up to Eagle Lake for a dedicated musky trip. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone that is willing to fish hard or cares enough about fishing to spend the money on a trip like that. So I'm looking at the feasibility of going by myself for a 5 day/6 night trip with a boat rental. I would mostly likely get a guide for a few of those days at least. I've contacted AML and Temple Bay and they will accommodate a single person trip. Just wondering if anyone has even done this before or has any tips/recommendations/suggestions. It's unfortunate none of my friends & family are into it like I am, but I'm not trying to let that stop me from making a bucket list trip. Thanks guys!
14ledo81
Posted 6/4/2019 12:45 PM (#940334 - in reply to #940330)
Subject: Re: Solo Trip To Eagle Lake

I would hire Cal Ritchie every day you can.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 6/4/2019 1:08 PM (#940337 - in reply to #940330)

I did a solo last year at AML. They have three solo rooms upstairs in the lodge. Very clean and very nice and convenient to come down for meals. I would do it again.
ordmusky
Posted 6/4/2019 1:16 PM (#940339 - in reply to #940330)

MuskyFlyGuy - did you do a boat rental and/or guide hire as well?
ToddM
Posted 6/4/2019 2:53 PM (#940345 - in reply to #940330)

Being from Chicago there are 4 musky clubs in cook county. Think about joining one and I am sure you can find someone to fish with.
Slamr
Posted 6/4/2019 4:33 PM (#940351 - in reply to #940345)

I've fished Eagle out of AML a lot of years. Eagle is an amazingly easy yet hard to fish lake. 20000 spots, only 100 are worth fishing, and of those 100 some have a spot on the spot on the spot that is about 5 yards long. Meaning the toughest part is knowing where to spend your time.

Stay at AML, get a guide, have them mark a map WHILE you're with them, then go back to those spots and find others that look similar. Then fish super fast and cover a ton of water or fish super slow and gamble those spots hold an active fish.

But the AML guides will cut down your learning curve tremendously!
ordmusky
Posted 6/4/2019 8:25 PM (#940367 - in reply to #940330)

Thanks for all of the help guys, it’s much appreciated.

ToddM - I have looked into joining a club before as I thought it would be a great way to meet other anglers and continue to learn techniques and info. Just didn’t know which one to join - do you recommend any particular ones around the Chicago area? Thank you.
ToddM
Posted 6/4/2019 8:45 PM (#940369 - in reply to #940367)

ordmusky - 6/4/2019 8:25 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys, it’s much appreciated.

ToddM - I have looked into joining a club before as I thought it would be a great way to meet other anglers and continue to learn techniques and info. Just didn’t know which one to join - do you recommend any particular ones around the Chicago area? Thank you.

What part of the city? I belong to Fox River Valley, we meet in Schaumburg. Kinda partial to that one. Chicagoland Muskie Hunters meet in Park Ridge, Southside Muskie Hawks in Bridgeview I believe and Midwest Muskie Club in Alsip. All have good people. You don't have to be bound to one either many go to other club meetings and events.
jimcej100
Posted 6/4/2019 9:13 PM (#940371 - in reply to #940330)

I agree that joining a Muskie club would be great for a guy like you trying to meet like minded Muskie fisherman. Chicagoland Muskie Hunters actually meets in Glenview now. Meetings start back up the second Tuesday in August. Great bunch of guys and you learn a lot not only from the monthly speakers but also from members. Like ToddM says, there are a number of clubs in the area and all of them do a nice job.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/4/2019 9:53 PM (#940372 - in reply to #940371)

I've done many solo trips to AML. It was kind of weird the first few days, but the guides are friendly and you get to know them pretty well after a day in the boat. They're all old friends now after so many years. Andrew gives some sage advice above. I'd add not to be afraid to fish those spots 3-4 times in a day. Just because there was nobody home last night, this morning, and after lunch doesn't mean a thing.
ordmusky
Posted 6/4/2019 10:08 PM (#940373 - in reply to #940330)

Thanks everyone. Esoxaddict - did you do a boat rental while you were there solo? If so, how were they - did they have a depth finder and trolling motor?
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 6/5/2019 9:45 AM (#940397 - in reply to #940330)

I hired a guide every day. Since I was chasing them with a fly rod, I needed to focus on the water. The guides were great and you build relationships with them. They were able to put me in quality spots, but more importantly quality casting angles. Everyone is very friendly and supportive.
UglyPike
Posted 6/5/2019 10:32 AM (#940400 - in reply to #940330)

AML has some of the best guides anywhere. Mike is excellent. Herbeck obviously is an insanely good guide - 25 years or so on that lake. Its a fantastic lake but so vast, without a push in the right direction it can be daunting the first time out
redskeet100
Posted 6/9/2019 11:01 PM (#940607 - in reply to #940330)

I have been going to Eagle lake solo for several years now. Our group lost a couple guys to death and family stuff so been hitting it alone. I got to North Shore lodge and usually use the lodge boats. They are pretty sufficient, trolling motors and nice 50hp Yamahas. It is easy for me because I have been going to Eagle for 20 years so I know how to get around safely. That is the biggest thing, learning how to get around, then where to fish. Eagle will humble you to death, then give you a 51” fish, so keep that in mind.

A few suggestions. Tripod for cameras, big net and something to tie it down (bungy cord) when you have a fish so you can get camera ready without worrying about the net. Having a handheld GPS will help you from getting lost in the maze of islands. Study google earth and paper map so you can find areas to start. Most lodges will help you get started, but a da6 or two of guide trips will definitely show you what you need to be fishing.
Musky Brian
Posted 6/11/2019 4:41 PM (#940691 - in reply to #940330)

I would stay somewhere Vermilion Bay or in the West Arm without any lake knowledge. Running around the East end with no knowledge of the lake is a dangerous proposition and that end is less wind protected. Going to be likely very tough sledding for a solo first timer, but right place right time it’s possible. I’ve stumbled upon some pretty big fish out there on trips with my dad and fishing alone on new stuff.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/12/2019 5:28 PM (#940762 - in reply to #940330)

ordmusky

I typically fished with guides when I was up by myself, which I'd suggest for a few days especially if you're going East. Depending on the package you choose you have access to a camp boat, which are well equipped and more than adequate.

All of the AML guides are top notch, but fish with Herbie if you can. Just don't F up. (kidding. sort of...)
muskysaloon
Posted 6/13/2019 11:50 AM (#940812 - in reply to #940330)
Subject: RE: Solo Trip To Eagle Lake

Ord, i would highly reccomend Eagle Lake Sportmens lodge in the west arm, vermilion bay lodge (Gord the owner is a great guy with great prices!), or North Shore Lodge. I found Eagle to be very easy to fish with no pryor knowlege. Good spots everywhere. And, when the fish are on they seem to show themselves on every fishy looking spot. Navigation wise, you just need to be careful like on any shield lake and you will be fine. I usually only fish trout water, so i found the action to be very good in comparison. Good luck!
TimmyP19
Posted 6/13/2019 3:11 PM (#940830 - in reply to #940330)

Do people who stay at AML, or the western side of the lake with the deeper, very clear, trout water panic and make the long run east to find the dirty water in the July/August summer time frame? Or, does the clear deep water on the west side still offer some great fishing during those summer months?
Slamr
Posted 6/14/2019 9:03 AM (#940858 - in reply to #940830)

TimmyP19 - 6/13/2019 3:11 PM

Do people who stay at AML, or the western side of the lake with the deeper, very clear, trout water panic and make the long run east to find the dirty water in the July/August summer time frame? Or, does the clear deep water on the west side still offer some great fishing during those summer months?

If you fish from the boat launch south to the bottleneck - not clear water.
Portage Bay is clearER but you don't have to have a totally clouded in day to contact fish. Same with the West Arm all the way West to Crab Craw. Farther West, yes super clear.

My point is you don't HAVE to run 30 minutes south and east to contact fish in the summer.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/14/2019 11:31 AM (#940866 - in reply to #940858)

The answer is yes, they do. There's some sort of unspoken rule on Eagle that the best fishing is across the lake in front of some other camp.
muskysaloon
Posted 6/16/2019 9:29 AM (#940906 - in reply to #940830)

TimmyP19 - 6/13/2019 3:11 PM

We have found that the timeframe around the 1st week of August has been our best fishing on trout/clear water lakes. the notion that many people have about sunny skies on trout water being the kiss of death is just simply not true. Consistent weather patterns is the key to any fishing trip. I have stayed all the way down to Buzzard falls outpost cabin on Eagle and had a great week in sunny hot weather. Don't let the clear water scare you. Enjoy its beauty and know that it holds the lakes largest fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)