Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Spring in Northern WI

Message Subject: Spring in Northern WI
Conservation Guy
Posted 4/13/2019 7:30 AM (#935390 - in reply to #935387)
Subject: Re: Spring in Northern WI

I’m sure this is being drawn from your deep expertise in climatological science? I always find this argument interesting on this site, and then when someone threatens our Muskie fisheries with a new policy, we all cry, “listen to the science,” or “politicians should not be making decisions about our fisheries.” You don’t get to pick and choose your science. It is also important to note that climate is not weather and the history of the earth is not your lifetime.
kdawg
Posted 4/13/2019 9:40 AM (#935395 - in reply to #935390)

You don't get to pick and choose your science? Well, thank God we still live in a free country where I can still pick and choose how to live my life. If, You, want to drive an electric car, put solar panels on top of your house, use a mercury filled light bulbs, water saving toilets, use one piece of toilet paper, and figure out how to stop cows from farting, go ahead. I won't stop you. But leave the rest of us alone. Deal? Kdawg
Conservation Guy
Posted 4/13/2019 9:57 AM (#935397 - in reply to #935395)

Deal. But know that there are costs to doing those things and none of us are immuned to those costs. Just like the huge costs I pay as a small business owner in health insurance to cover the costs of people deciding (granted some have little choice) to smoke, eat poorly and not exercise. And no, you don't get to choose science. It is the difference from just saying something and having to prove it, and for others needing to prove the same thing -- this is the foundation from which everything we enjoy today is built on. I hope everyone fighting scientific concensus don't visit a doctor or take medication. We can keep telling ourselves that that pain in our chest is nothing to worry about, but most of us are relying on the same scientific processes we discount on a daily basis.
ghoti
Posted 4/13/2019 10:20 AM (#935401 - in reply to #935279)

sworrall - 4/11/2019 10:34 PM

Most snow ever in Rhinelander in history. beat the record easily today. Yay.

Not

More mosquito housing
raftman
Posted 4/13/2019 1:35 PM (#935410 - in reply to #935397)

Conservation Guy - 4/13/2019 9:57 AM

Deal. But know that there are costs to doing those things and none of us are immuned to those costs. Just like the huge costs I pay as a small business owner in health insurance to cover the costs of people deciding (granted some have little choice) to smoke, eat poorly and not exercise. And no, you don't get to choose science. It is the difference from just saying something and having to prove it, and for others needing to prove the same thing -- this is the foundation from which everything we enjoy today is built on. I hope everyone fighting scientific concensus don't visit a doctor or take medication. We can keep telling ourselves that that pain in our chest is nothing to worry about, but most of us are relying on the same scientific processes we discount on a daily basis.

The dramatic responses this topic brings out just makes me laugh. Is the earth warming? Yes. Are we responsible for it? Probably. Do we have a clue how it all is going to play out? Nope but it sure makes for sensational headlines for NBC nightly news.

As a father of a 2 and 4 year old boys, I am more concerned with rising deficit spending than I am rising temperatures.
North of 8
Posted 4/13/2019 2:10 PM (#935412 - in reply to #935410)

raftman - 4/13/2019 1:35 PM

Conservation Guy - 4/13/2019 9:57 AM

The dramatic responses this topic brings out just makes me laugh. Is the earth warming? Yes. Are we responsible for it? Probably. Do we have a clue how it all is going to play out? Nope but it sure makes for sensational headlines for NBC nightly news.

As a father of a 2 and 4 year old boys, I am more concerned with rising deficit spending than I am rising temperatures.

Actually, the models scientist put out there 20 plus years ago are proving quite accurate. The damage from Hurricane Sandy, specifically the flooding was predicted by the models due to rise in sea level. The thaw of perma frost in Alaska was also predicted. Even Trump when building a golf course in Scotland a number of years ago got permission to install a large sea wall in anticipation of rising sea levels.
raftman
Posted 4/13/2019 3:36 PM (#935422 - in reply to #935412)

I get it. The earth is warming and the permafrost and ice are melting. Not rocket science and not arguing it. By not knowing how this plays out, I meant how it plays for us as a society. The dramatic headlines and discussions about global warming seem to make us want to feel like warmer planet=apocalyptic planet. Guess I’m of the belief that the climate is going to change and we will adjust to it and continue to thrive. I’m not going to change much of my life nor do I want our government to impose change on my life.

As for Trump’s sea wall, credit the guy for being smart. I’m sure it’s a great Trump is a hypocrit talking point for the climate change crowd. I only vote libertarian though so that doesn’t do much for me.

North of 8
Posted 4/13/2019 5:58 PM (#935428 - in reply to #935422)

The problem with rising sea levels is one that will not take that much longer to play out. Very large chunks of the world's population live in cities on the seaboard and are not that high.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/13/2019 7:12 PM (#935433 - in reply to #935266)

That's apparently true. But from everything I've read, anything any of us can do on a personal level will be akin to whizzing on a forest fire. Nice gesture, but...

I'm reminded of the night many years ago that my buddy's boat caught in fire in his driveway, after some a-holes stole his kicker, and were trying to swipe the big motor. (we found this out afterwards) they cut the steering cables, then the fuel lines, and when they cut the battery cables, it created enough of a spark to ignite the gasoline that had spilled all over the carpeting...

I woke up to something that looked like daylight. Looked out the window and saw flames 30 feet in the air. "HOLY #*#*!!!!!!!!!!!"

Called 911, and immediately ran outside to grab a hose. By the time I got out there he was out there too, with his hose. Two of is idiots out there, in our underwear, at 3:00 am, with one arm over our faces and one hand in front of us holding a garden hose, spraying water on a fire that we weren't even putting a dent in. When the cops showed up (lady cop, go figure) they looked at us and just shook their heads. "Hey guys? Step away from the boat. Just wait for the fire department."

Between fiberglass, gel coat, plywood, vinyl, carpeting, an oil tank, and a full tank of gas, all we we were able to do was make a little steam.

If the science is to be believed, that's where we're at with climate change.

RLSea
Posted 4/13/2019 10:47 PM (#935449 - in reply to #935266)

Just plain wrong that people think that people have not impacted the climate. The last 4 years have been the warmest since records have been kept. We are a dominant species. The amount of change we bring to an ecosystem is historically significant. Small ecosystems put together become large ecosystems and ultimately the earth. Sure there is money being made but that does not mean we don't cause the climate to change faster than it normally would. And that is the problem. The accelerated change does not allow for adaptation. That is also what will cost us in the future.

Edited by RLSea 4/13/2019 10:52 PM
Larry Ramsell
Posted 4/14/2019 8:30 AM (#935457 - in reply to #935266)

30 seconds in should end the debate: https://www.youtube.com/embed/BC1l4geSTP8
FlyPiker
Posted 4/14/2019 9:55 AM (#935467 - in reply to #935266)

So, who's looking forward to June when we can argue whether the ski in the pic is 52 or 52.75 inches?
madmurph
Posted 4/14/2019 10:43 AM (#935475 - in reply to #935366)

IAJustin - 4/12/2019 9:31 PM

quit studying this bs!!! How many trillions yess trillions of dollars are governments going to waste on this crap..Of course there is climate change,.. many huge changes Over the past several 100 million years, glad we had global warming a few times in the earths history, carved out some cool things .. the volcanos created some cool islands..earth is billions of years old... gonna be here millions of years after we are gone...what the hell are these “climate change “ experts really studying and furthermore what’s it going to change? Waste of money!!hell we can feed the entire planet with the amount of money wasted on studying this crap the last 10 years. Global warming sounds good, bring it on

My thoughts exactly. Thank you Justin!!!

Edited by madmurph 4/14/2019 10:44 AM
Conservation Guy
Posted 4/14/2019 12:56 PM (#935483 - in reply to #935457)

I know a guy with a pile of rice seems credible to me. Do you know what percentage of cigarette smoke is carcinogenic?....you guessed it, about a grain of rice worth. Why do I bring up smoking, because the same exact tactics where used by thise that benefited from the status quo. Like other have said, follow the money, which counter to most of you think, is not with the vast majority of climate scientists making $60,000-$100,00 per year.
ToddM
Posted 4/14/2019 1:56 PM (#935489 - in reply to #935266)

Checked out the gallileo movement on their own site and gave me immediate pause. By that video argument you could make all kinds of arguments smoking, Mercury, rediculous.

Edited by ToddM 4/14/2019 1:57 PM
twofishy4u
Posted 4/14/2019 5:08 PM (#935517 - in reply to #935266)

guy in the video doesn't look like a fisherman at all. Who the hell counted all that rice? Now that is a waste of time......
RLSea
Posted 4/14/2019 8:35 PM (#935581 - in reply to #935266)

C'mon. Don't we have anything more recent than a 7-year old video to argue against?
miket55
Posted 4/14/2019 11:48 PM (#935591 - in reply to #935266)

I feel for you folks located where the season is still closed.. I don't know what to say..

As for the rest of you, get over it and go fishing!
dbach17
Posted 4/15/2019 12:08 PM (#935616 - in reply to #935457)

Here's what we need to be careful with related to rice guy, and anything in the world. It's a matter of context.

For example, let's think about blood alcohol content. In terms of a percentage, .08 BAC actually means .0008 (in decimal, not percent form). Most people would feel that's a tiny number, right? But in the context of what it does to the human body, it's pretty fascinating. At .005 (decimal version, equal to 0.5%) BAC, it is highly likely that you die. Doesn't seem like a huge number, but the equilibrium of bodies is a delicate thing.

Earth's ecosystem likely isn't all that different. Seemingly minor and imperceptible changes can have huge consequences in all areas of life.

Edited by dbach17 4/15/2019 12:10 PM
madmurph
Posted 4/15/2019 12:37 PM (#935617 - in reply to #935266)

A post is made, probably with the sole intent of showing a large snowstorm in April and to make a point that winter is getting old and it hasn't been the nicest of springs. It turns into a two page peeing match about global warming, or climate change as others refer to it as. You have to love internet forums.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 4/15/2019 1:22 PM (#935620 - in reply to #935266)

No bumpboard pic of that rice... Ya, climate has changed. Rising sea levels are proven. Let's now focus on what to do about it. Seawalls aren't a solution for all of the shoreline. Stopping building on areas prone to flooding, hurricanes etc seems logical. Instead of rebuilding areas damaged badly by hurricanes, move the places further inland. Finally, never live next to a trailer park, tornadoes love them.
jchiggins
Posted 4/15/2019 3:49 PM (#935628 - in reply to #935617)

madmurph - 4/15/2019 12:37 PM

A post is made, probably with the sole intent of showing a large snowstorm in April and to make a point that winter is getting old and it hasn't been the nicest of springs. It turns into a two page peeing match about global warming, or climate change as others refer to it as. You have to love internet forums.
Nailed it!
Duffer58
Posted 4/15/2019 5:23 PM (#935632 - in reply to #935266)

Here in central Illinois we got 5 inches yesterday. Made for an interesting first day of turkey season today.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/15/2019 5:55 PM (#935634 - in reply to #935632)

Had 6" of snow on the ground yesterday. Today the lawn needs to be mowed.
North of 8
Posted 4/15/2019 6:27 PM (#935635 - in reply to #935634)

Could get interesting here in the north woods if the weather forecast is accurate. The guy on the Rhinelander station said we could get an inch and a half of rain over the next few days, which would impact the snow cover which is on ground that still has some frost in it. Flooding could be an issue. Hope the amount is less than that. Could cause a real mess for low lying areas.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)