Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Indian Lake Lodge (just north of Vermillion Bay)

Message Subject: Indian Lake Lodge (just north of Vermillion Bay)
Booch
Posted 2/20/2019 12:08 PM (#931254)
Subject: Indian Lake Lodge (just north of Vermillion Bay)

Anyone have input on Indian Lake Lodge, the one just north of Vermillion Bay? Never heard of it until this year, and we are thinking about heading up there in July
Musky Brian
Posted 2/26/2019 7:11 AM (#931739 - in reply to #931254)
Subject: Re: Indian Lake Lodge (just north of Vermillion Bay)

Good action lake, but not much of a chance to get a 50. And really not a very good chance at anything over 45. You can definitely put up some big numbers though on the right week. I’d also add in that for Canadian standards it’s a subpar Walleye system as well, or at least was when I used to go

Edited by Musky Brian 2/26/2019 7:12 AM
Booch
Posted 2/27/2019 12:15 PM (#931849 - in reply to #931254)

Good info, thanks. I did read somewhere that's it's a numbers lake. Guess I'll find out, as we are booked.
debygd
Posted 3/11/2019 9:40 PM (#932839 - in reply to #931254)
Subject: RE: Indian Lake Lodge (just north of Vermillion Bay)

I don't have input on Indian Lake Lodge, but I've been to the Indian Chain. (We stayed at Clark's KC Landing on Lake Edward.) Last year, I made my first trip back in 15 years. I think we hit a bad week compounded by a late spring so weed growth was hard to find. It seems the fish shifted from weeds to rocks during the week and we had a hard time keeping track of them. If you can find cabbage, you'll find fish. But if you don't, go to the rocks. We seemed to have best action with smaller black lures. Don't expect big fish, but we did boat the fattest 42 I've seen. Good luck!!
Booch
Posted 3/12/2019 8:10 AM (#932856 - in reply to #932839)

Thanks, that's where we are staying actually. What week were you there?
Musky Brian
Posted 3/12/2019 8:41 AM (#932858 - in reply to #932856)

I used to catch a lot of fish on Indian and Edward back in the day fishing the bays and pockets with flooded out timber. Bucktails too where you could sneak them in. Basically just like how you would fish a WI flowage or River. Wouldn’t overlook wood on that system, holds a ton of fish
debygd
Posted 3/12/2019 10:01 AM (#932866 - in reply to #932856)

Booch - 3/12/2019 8:10 AM

Thanks, that's where we are staying actually. What week were you there?

Last year, we went over the week of July 4th. Based on Moon Phase, we were a week late, but we also caught some weather (wind) that limited where we could fish for a couple days. About 15 years previously, I had made 4 trips in a 5 year period. We had made those trips the last week of June. Maybe it was just the spring last year, but there didn't seem to be the cabbage growth I remembered from those previous trips.

As long as you're new to the water and KC Landing, there's an older gentleman (can't remember his name) that is willing to share some spots with you. He's kind of an "unofficial" guide. He spends the summer there and I think Wayne and Carla give him a break on lodging if he helps their clients have a good week of fishing. If he's still there (he was showing his age last year), take better notes than I did. Even though he is more of a walleye guy, he was on point with most of his intel.

Musky Brian also had a solid tip regarding wood. If you've got a boat partner that can throw into it without getting hung up on every single cast, it's worth spending some time in the timber.
Musky Brian
Posted 3/12/2019 10:10 AM (#932868 - in reply to #932866)

I had a lot of success throwing topwater in that thick wood. The pockets with main lake access were the best. Walleyes and bait fish use that stuff a lot on that system
jaultman
Posted 3/28/2019 1:11 PM (#934000 - in reply to #932868)

Disclaimer first: take this post with a grain of salt.

SHORT VERSION:
The resort is awesome. Clarks are awesome. "Big Jim" is a great camp host. take the time to get to know him a little. It will pay off.

The walleye fishing was insanely good for me, way underrated based on what I had read. The lake trout fishing can be good (was for me) if you happen into the right pattern.

If you for some reason really struggle with the muskies, try trolling medium cranks. Anywhere, adjacent to the structural spots you'd normally cast. If you feel like you are the worst muskie fisherman ever after reading all the great reports here but sucking it up on your trip, just know that you're not the first one. (That most likely will not happen). I might be the only person to ever get his butt kicked on the chain.

I'll PM you the long version to spare the rest of the crowd the details. I think it's you that has messaged me some intel on other canadian lakes over the years.
Lorin
Posted 4/17/2019 5:35 AM (#935714 - in reply to #931254)

Advice for the Indian Chain:
1. downsize
2. fish the wind
3. the Indian Chain is contrary i.e., best on sunny days, not so much on dark days.
Lorin

Lorin
Booch
Posted 4/17/2019 1:35 PM (#935731 - in reply to #931254)

Thanks. Anyone have ideas where to get a decent map of the lakes?
Lorin
Posted 4/17/2019 1:46 PM (#935733 - in reply to #931254)

Go to the Indian Lake Lodge website. You will find outline maps that will keep you from getting lost.

Lorin
Booch
Posted 4/17/2019 1:55 PM (#935734 - in reply to #935733)

Lorin - 4/17/2019 1:46 PM

Go to the Indian Lake Lodge website. You will find outline maps that will keep you from getting lost.

Lorin

Those are some of the best free maps I've ever seen! Thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)