Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Find the middle ground!

Message Subject: Find the middle ground!
Junkman
Posted 2/17/2019 11:02 AM (#930990)
Subject: Find the middle ground!

Forgetting that this is not a useful approach in politics today, I find that a compromise in fishing tactics is often the answer. Like all the inshore anglers, here in Florida, I’m tying leader material to braid, often choosing 20 lb. braid to 20 lb. florocarbon, or the more recommended 30 lb. to 30 lb. version. It seems that any really nice Snook will find the means to slice the 20 lb. line, and break your heart. Thirty pound makes for less flexibility, more visibility and gets in the way of the smallish equipment mostly used. So, imagine my excitement when I discovered the in between 25 lb. floro for the first time and made a much easier back to back uniknot that didn’t require a lot of trim to get through my line guides. I’m not wanting to brag about the results, or the fact it’s 82 degrees and sunny, but this has been absolutely “money” to dozens of fish without getting cut off. Clearly, it’s a useful approach elsewhere too, but this has proved a game changer to my Snook fishing.
chasintails
Posted 2/17/2019 4:16 PM (#930996 - in reply to #930990)
Subject: Re: Find the middle ground!

Try the fg knot. It's a little hard to tie at first, but is much smoother going through the guides.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/17/2019 6:08 PM (#930999 - in reply to #930996)

Thrilling.
Junkman
Posted 2/18/2019 7:22 AM (#931010 - in reply to #930999)

Pointerpride102 - 2/17/2019 6:08 PM

Thrilling.

Yeah, probably not “thrilling” discovery, but it’s only a five pound test difference between getting bites to the net versus losing bites or losing fish. I’m only posting it here because I think it’s totally worth exploring in musky fishing. Downsizing your leader is like playing chicken, but I am convinced we are trading a whole lot of bites for (perhaps) needless protection against the dreaded bite off. I’m also liking a four or five foot tied leader without hardware for a lot of musky situations.
14ledo81
Posted 2/18/2019 9:58 AM (#931021 - in reply to #931010)

Junkman - 2/18/2019 7:22 AM

Pointerpride102 - 2/17/2019 6:08 PM

Thrilling.

Yeah, probably not “thrilling” discovery, but it’s only a five pound test difference between getting bites to the net versus losing bites or losing fish. I’m only posting it here because I think it’s totally worth exploring in musky fishing. Downsizing your leader is like playing chicken, but I am convinced we are trading a whole lot of bites for (perhaps) needless protection against the dreaded bite off. I’m also liking a four or five foot tied leader without hardware for a lot of musky situations.

Marty, don't take it the wrong way. I think your posts are very informative and like reading them.
ToddM
Posted 2/18/2019 11:04 AM (#931024 - in reply to #930990)

I learned that lesson the hard way. On spinning gear, 10lb flouro leader with an Albright knot to 10lb nanofil is just fine. There is enough shock absorbtion in the rod for when a big bass makes a boatside dash. On a flippin stick with 40lb braid a 5lb bass breaks the fluoro with a boatside dash. I switched to 15lb and took care of it. The 5lb difference.
RLSea
Posted 2/18/2019 8:14 PM (#931096 - in reply to #930990)

The "dreaded bite off" IS what I'm concerned with. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I have had up to 130# floro bitten off. And now I only use metal. Am I missing bites? Probably. But I can't tell you how bad I felt when a giant bit me off when fishing up near Minaki a few years ago. She engulfed the lure and must have hit it just right.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/18/2019 8:24 PM (#931099 - in reply to #931096)

RLSea - 2/18/2019 8:14 PM

The "dreaded bite off" IS what I'm concerned with. I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I have had up to 130# floro bitten off. And now I only use metal. Am I missing bites? Probably. But I can't tell you how bad I felt when a giant bit me off when fishing up near Minaki a few years ago. She engulfed the lure and must have hit it just right.

Obviously you just need 135lb.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)