Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> What are the first things you noticed when you repowered from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?

Reply New post
Message Subject: What are the first things you noticed when you repowered from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/13/2019 1:46 PM (#930732)
Subject: What are the first things you noticed when you repowered from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?

This is somewhat of a follow up from my previous post asking about repowering my rebuilt Tuffy Bass'n Marauder to an Esox LTD.

I currently have a 29 year old Merc 75 hp two stroke motor. It runs great, but I'm considering repowering after completely rebuilding my boat last summer.

My question is to those that have repowered an older boat and motor and went from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke; What were the things that you really noticed?

I know all the things we read about; being quieter, more fuel efficient, cleaner, loss of hole shot, but what did you really notice after you made the change? What are the real world after effects? Good, bad or indifferent.

Nomad
Vilas15
Posted 2/13/2019 2:42 PM (#930738 - in reply to #930732)
Subject: RE: What are the first things you noticed when you repowered from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?

Nomadmusky - 2/13/2019 1:46 PM
I know all the things we read about; being quieter, more fuel efficient, cleaner, loss of hole shot, but what did you really notice after you made the change?

Sounds like you've already found all the information you need, you're just looking for somebody to push you one way or the other since you can't make up your mind. No ones going to say they caught twice as many fish after the switch. I say if you got the money then go for it!
horsehunter
Posted 2/13/2019 3:49 PM (#930744 - in reply to #930732)
Subject: Re: What are the first things you noticed when you repowered from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?

3 boats ago I replaced a 50 hp Merc with a 60 hp Suzuki quiet, great fuel economy but the biggest plus was doing away with the #*^@ed choke. My next boat had a 70 Suzuki and my current boat has a115 Suzuki with a 20 Suzuki kicker. I love Suzuki's and will never have another carburated engine with a #*^@ed choke.
Pal
Posted 2/13/2019 5:43 PM (#930752 - in reply to #930744)
Subject: Re: What are the first things you noticed when you repowered from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke?

I was forced to re-power last year after my formally wonderful Optimax since 2007 which never had a serious problem just gave up the ghost one day out of nowhere roaring up the St Croix to my first fishing spot.

My new 150 4 stroke was definitely quieter, but to be honest I always liked the Opti growl. I found my new 150 did a great job jumping on plane, not all that different than my Opti did, in fact I am even using the same prop which really just seems to fit my boat ( High 5 ) It is also bigger, or maybe it just seems that way to me.

Beyond that, the only thing I really noticed was my new monthly payments, cannot say I missed those ....

Pal
Cowboyhannah
Posted 2/13/2019 8:25 PM (#930760 - in reply to #930732)

I blew up my 200 HO 2 stroke twice. Second time I repowerd to a suzi 4 stroke, what did I notice? Slower onto plane, loss of 10 mph top end. Plus side? Waaaaayyyyy better gas consumption, more push-power at low rpm (torque?), starts right up ALL the time, even below freezing temps, awesome not worrying about oil, and I just feel confident in the reliability. That 2 stroke used to go, “WHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” when it ran on plane... no wonder it blew up twice. That 4 stroke is like, “MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm......I’m gonna run forever,”

My 2 cents. If you’re a bass tourney guy that needs to get to the spot first enjoy the 2 stroke, if you want a reliable easy running motor, go 4 stroke.

Edited by Cowboyhannah 2/13/2019 8:26 PM
Musky Brian
Posted 2/14/2019 7:08 AM (#930767 - in reply to #930760)

Not having to check/lug around/purchase overpriced jugs of 2 stroke oil all season to me was a godsend and I will never consider going back to a 2.
vegas492
Posted 2/14/2019 9:10 AM (#930777 - in reply to #930732)

I repowered an older Tuffy years ago. Went from a 30 2 stroke to a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke. Noticed instantly that it started better and easier. Loved how quiet it was. Took longer to get on plan. Took longer to hit top speed. Fuel consumption was amazing. And? It trolled beautifully. Loved that 4 stroke.
My buddy got a Verado for his new Ranger. I can't say that I see any hole shot difference in that thing compared to my Optimax. It is much quieter. Eats less gas. And he has a 200 and it too will troll where I won't troll with my Optimax.
I think the Verado is a little heavier than the comparable Opti, but I don't think that means anything on the water.
At your size? Get the 4 stroke, I don't think you will be disappointed at all.
sworrall
Posted 2/14/2019 9:14 AM (#930778 - in reply to #930777)

Starts way better and no 2 stroke oil to add or breath. Quiet, plenty of power, and way better fuel economy.
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/14/2019 9:27 AM (#930781 - in reply to #930732)

Guys,

I appreciate all these answers. When you are being sold on the idea of the change they tell you all the advantages/disadvantages, but I love hearing what the real life experiences are after the fact, that is when buyer remorse tends to set in.

Kevin
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/14/2019 2:11 PM (#930812 - in reply to #930732)

One thing I hadn't added into my equation was oil use, that would be nice not needing to bring those jugs with me to Canada each year.

What is changing oil like on a 4 stroke? How costly is it? What is Winterizing like? I've never winterized any of my motors, I just make sure to run sea foam through them all the time and change my lower unit oil. My uncle worked for West Bend/Chrysler and always told me to never winterize my outboards. I have his original 5 hp West Bend and my 29 year old Merc so I think he was on to something!

What do you think your fuel efficiency is? I know it's not always Apples to Apples, but maybe compare a week in Canada before and after the change, (any trip will do it doesn't have to be Canada),
ToddC
Posted 2/14/2019 7:16 PM (#930831 - in reply to #930732)

I have a 90hp Johnson two stroke on my 1750 Crestliner and a 50 hp Yamaha 4 stroke on the pontoon. For me I’d much rather have a four stroke on my Crestliner. That Yamaha is quiet, starts easy and is way better on gas than my buddy’s pontoon with a 50hp two stroke. The 90hp Johnson hasn’t given me any trouble but I run it about 3800-4000 rpms. When I bought the 1750 used, I looked for a rig with a four stroke but just couldn’t find one at that time. If I were you I’d go with the Yamaha. I think you will be real happy you did.
Smell_Esox
Posted 2/15/2019 8:10 AM (#930855 - in reply to #930732)

I have a midrange 2 stroke, a 97 60 hp Mariner. It's a really nice motor really. But I do want to get a 4 stroke when I retire, either a Yamy or a Suzuki. I would love to put the 70 Yamy on but my boat maxes at 60. I think the 70 might replace the top speed and hole shot of the 2 stroke. What I long for with the 4 stroke is the quiet, smoke free operation. What I don't like about the 4 stroke is the lack of performance under load and the maintenance. There is nothing I hate worse about the 4 strokes than changing oil. We have several at work and I cannot change the oil without making a mess. I don't use a ton of oil in my 2 stroke. It just doesn't use that much. I fill the reservoir and it lasts me a long time. But it is hard to not like that quiet smoke free operation, especially when trolling.
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/15/2019 9:17 AM (#930862 - in reply to #930855)

@Smell Esox,

What is the oil change process like on a 4 stroke? How often does it have to be done? What are the costs?
BNelson
Posted 2/15/2019 9:51 AM (#930870 - in reply to #930862)

changing the oil in a 4 stroke is easy.. I have done it on my 175 Suzi numerous times.. buy oil and filter and simply drain out and pour in more or less. Gear oil is easy too. total in oil/filter etc is like 125. The dealer will do it for like 160 so for no hassle I just have the dealer do it... if you don't use it a ton you can do it every other year or so.

Edited by BNelson 2/15/2019 9:53 AM
Nomadmusky
Posted 2/15/2019 10:19 AM (#930876 - in reply to #930870)

Brad,

Thanks, When I figure in a couple of jugs of oil per trip to Canada, and one or two others over the course of a summer, that seems like a wash.

Kevin
BNelson
Posted 2/15/2019 10:43 AM (#930879 - in reply to #930876)

it likely is a wash in cost from 2 to 4 stroke. You'll likely save a little in gas w a 4 stroke. It boils down to convenience and having a motor that starts easily and is quiet ...
Smell_Esox
Posted 2/15/2019 10:47 AM (#930881 - in reply to #930732)

On our 4 stroke 60 Mercs and 50 Yamaha, I run the motor and warm the oil. On the Mercs you then tilt the motor. There is obviously a drain plug. You put some kind of oil catch jug or whatever below the drain. I usually use an old plastic oil container, I don't know if it is 4 quart size or what but about that, but it has to obviously have more capacity than what will come out of the motor (LOL). I cut a bigger opening in the container so the oil draining is easy to catch. I remove the drain plug and let the oil flow out into the jug I'm holding. It isn't hard to catch all the oil, but then you have to get the plug back in and inevitably you have some oil still dripping out so make sure there is a big sheet of cardboard or something under you. Then you have to get the oil filter off which isn't difficult either. The difficult part is getting it off without the oil inside the filter falling down into the engine housing. I've yet to figure out how to do it without losing oil. Probably my ignorance (I'm open to training). Once you get the filter off, replace it with a new filter, add oil, and you're good to go. With the Yamy the drain plug is on the back of the motor and you don't tilt the motor. I have the same issue with the oil filter on the Yamy.
Hard to remove without making a mess in the engine housing. Changing lower unit lube is the same as any outboard and is also something I rarely do without making some mess. LOL. And that crap stinks.
VMS
Posted 2/15/2019 12:28 PM (#930887 - in reply to #930732)

Depending on the 4 stroke engine you go with, cost will vary for oil and filter, but in the end, it most likely is a wash to maybe...maybe a little savings with a 4 stroke.

Smoke-wise...on the new 2 stoke direct injected engines, Smoke is almost non-existent because the synthetics they burn have been formulated to burn clean, and as technology continues to improve, less oil is needed.

I run a 150 2 stroke that has a 2 gallon oil reservoir. I fill it before a week trip to canada and run all over....not anywhere near the 600 or so miles Brad Nelson might put on his rig...and by weeks end, I can fill it with about 3/4 gallon. I don't run wide open, and I don't troll with it in Canada, so a gallon goes a long, long way. The giddy-up of my 2 stroke over the equivalent 4 stroke is great, and cost-wise...the same or less because I don't burn through a ton of gas. on a 4 stroke, oil is changed yearly. I don't need to do that... I just need to fill up a reservoir and go fishing. And...I have a nice little spot next to the reservoir to keep an extra bottle and funnel...most boats will have this kind of room. Topping off a reservoir is less than a 5 minute job... and a gallon of oil takes up very little space. So...(poking fun here...) you-all with 4 strokes, enjoy your time draining, filter changing, and filling. I'll be on the water fishing your spots.

I feel your mind is made up nomad....the 70hp Yamaha you have decided on will do you well. Now...just go get the darn thing and enjoy it!!

Steve

Edited by VMS 2/15/2019 12:32 PM
tolle141
Posted 2/15/2019 10:50 PM (#930942 - in reply to #930732)

honda 135

I can hear wife at idle, 3500 rpm, and WOT
Occasionally I pull the boat out while its still running, its that quiet
Sips gas at cruising speed
Starts every time
Starts easy every freakin time
Starts in 1 second every freakin time

oil changes take 10 minutes. i often do lower unit and engine oil at the same time.

Go 4 stroke, run seafoam, and the only time you'll notie your 4 stroke is when you forget to turn it off
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/16/2019 12:06 PM (#930953 - in reply to #930942)

tolle141 - 2/15/2019 10:50 PM

I can hear wife at idle, 3500 rpm, and WOT

That might not be a good selling point for some of us...

I will never go back to a two-stroke, I mainly went to the four stroke back in the day due to better reliability. For me changing out the oil is not that big of a deal, and well worth it.

Here’s an old story about a two-stroke and my dear friend Bruce Wisner for those of you who knew him. For those of you that didn't, he very suddenly and tragically passed away just over a year ago.

....We were fishing out of Clearwater Bay LOTW and because of the congested/tight docking we had to back up quite a ways with the two-stroke to get out fishing every morning. Bruce started coughing/complaining one calm morning and I said; Bruce, you should never complain about the smell of two cycle in the morning... that smell means you're going muskie fishing!

It became one of those little endearing things we would say from time to time in the boat after that... and Bruce never complained about it again
NPike
Posted 2/16/2019 6:42 PM (#930969 - in reply to #930953)

Didn't have to be concerned as to weather of not I added the oil to the gas. Downside they weigh a lot more.
7ovr50
Posted 2/18/2019 5:41 AM (#931004 - in reply to #930732)

I can't add anything more. Just make your choice and enjoy it.
horsehunter
Posted 2/18/2019 7:24 AM (#931011 - in reply to #930732)

My last 4 motors have been 4 stroke and I really don't know but is the burnt oil in a 2 stroke's exhaust any more of a pollutant under water than that of a 4 which isn't burning it's oil?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)