Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Mono with rocks?

Message Subject: Mono with rocks?
Guy6574
Posted 12/12/2018 1:00 PM (#925672)
Subject: Mono with rocks?

My friend, who admittedly isn’t a musky fishing is trying to convince me to buy 40-50 pound monk instead of braid due to the spot being a man made dam with a rocky bottom. Does braid snap that easily or does he not know what he is talking about?
Fishysam
Posted 12/12/2018 2:40 PM (#925683 - in reply to #925672)
Subject: Re: Mono with rocks?

Offshore fishing they will use mono leaders when on rocks, like for groupers. There may be some truth to what he says. But. Have you seen your line fraying or rip off easily? If not stop over thinking.
IAJustin
Posted 12/12/2018 7:07 PM (#925731 - in reply to #925683)

Casting? 100% Get braid!!!! Run a 18” leader. 40-50 mono is junk to cast with... if you are talking trolling only , maybe??? Even then I’d run braid and use a 3-4’ leader.
NPike
Posted 12/13/2018 1:46 PM (#925802 - in reply to #925731)

This is a main limitation w braid (even the good ones. It's much thinner per lb test. So any slight frays make your braid very weak very quick and that's where it will break. I use heavy fluorocarbon leader and they get a nick or fray it's never broken provided I replace the leader. How quick I replace it depends on how deep the fray - nick is. I's say if your fishing a sharp rocky bottom you might be better off w mono.
7ovr50
Posted 12/14/2018 7:14 PM (#925887 - in reply to #925672)

I'd use the Fluro or mono leader as well either casting or trolling.
supertrollr
Posted 12/15/2018 12:10 AM (#925905 - in reply to #925672)

mono is not good for musky casting and even trolling. ive seen lots of article that claim that the braid is not good vs rock. get a good rock with sharp edge and do the test with your hands ,you will be surprised how well it could resist. personally mono could disappear and it will not be missed at all. it,s an hold line that got no cons at all vs today,s line like braided line ,and fluoro .
size is too big,way too many memory ,and worst of all it stretch like hell.when you want a good hook set stretching line is a non sense .
ciao
horsehunter
Posted 12/15/2018 7:33 AM (#925915 - in reply to #925672)

If your going to bang rocks use a wire leader and a lot can be said for running a wire line. My second choice ( which I use when not banging rock is 100 lb braid and 130 lb flourocarbon leader. Flouro is multi filament so it isn't weakened as much by a nick as a single filament Mono. I do have one setup with 50 lb Mono line and 130 flouro leader that i use to keep a lure high but farther back of the boat.
jeroen
Posted 12/19/2018 11:09 AM (#926236 - in reply to #925672)

You could try using an extra mono or FC leader between your braid and your actual tooth proof leader.
I do this when I fish for pike in rocky places and it helps because braid definitely is a problem with rocks.
One remark though...using a setup like this requires rod guides that are big enough to let the knot pass through easily when casting! Off course this knot (I use an improved allbright) has to be finished as clean and smooth as possible ( finishing it with a little bit of epoxy).
7ovr50
Posted 12/22/2018 5:27 PM (#926585 - in reply to #925905)

I disagree that mono has no place in Musky fishing. I troll it any time I'm short line trolling, 15ft or less of line out, The stretch enable the line to act as a snubber alowing the line to absorb the violent head shakes encountered most times after the strike. I get more "rips" then hook ups when using braid on a short line. I attribute this to the no stretch in braid allowing the head shakes to dislodge the bait on the short sets because every thing is so "tight" to the boat. Only my theory but I loose very few fish on the mono vs braid on a short set only
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)