Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Can we use a line of medium action rods?

Message Subject: Can we use a line of medium action rods?
kdawg
Posted 11/30/2018 4:04 PM (#924733)
Subject: Can we use a line of medium action rods?

This year St. Croix brought out a series of bantam weight rods. I checked the specs and they still appear to be m/h rods with a lure rating still at 3/4 to 3ozs. I'm sure they will handle the smaller baits just fine but do u think we still could go a little lighter? I own the 6'10" medium Premier rated for 1/2oz-2oz. baits that I use for pike. If St. Croix could only extend this blank action out to 8ft. I think this rod would work great for throwing Mepps #5's, Musky Killers, Bass sized spinnerbaits,1/2 oz. rattle baits etc. I think the only thing out there were the bass flipping sticks. Kdawg
upnortdave
Posted 11/30/2018 5:47 PM (#924752 - in reply to #924733)
Subject: RE: Can we use a line of medium action rods?

They are a ml and m power rod. To me they have a standard st Croix mh musky lower section but a really light tip to throw 1/2 to 1 1/2 Oz baits. To me they are useless because you can throw all those baits on a top n tail or better yet a long ranger. They do come with bass rod size guides so the rod is lighter.
By the way I'm a huge fan of St Croix rods. That's all I own except for my suckered rods Which are chaos new trolling. Awesome rods too
Rolex24
Posted 11/30/2018 8:27 PM (#924771 - in reply to #924733)
Subject: Re: Can we use a line of medium action rods?

I grew up using some pretty light rods for musky, like fenwick pistol grip lunkerstick light. And we caught a lot of fish. I've got rods to 8'-6" mh to xxh. I RARELY use anything other than either my Diamondback Musky MH 7-6" or All Star 7-6" heavy bass rod, both 2oz blanks. The 3oz blank rods I have are nice but just too heavy to cast all day and really take away from the fun of fishing. For me, a 2oz blank is perfect, Wiley & Terminator cranks and standard bucktails 95% of the time. I got a new boat so I decided to get a new rod...went to Tacklewarehouse and poured over the heavy bass rods. Ended up getting a Fitzgerald Titan HD 7-8" 2oz flippin stick. Corresponded with the manufacturer before my purchase which was a great experience. It hasn't arrived yet but obviously I'm a fan of heavy bass rods and haven't enjoyed or bought in to the longer heavier rods and lures to go along with them. To each his own though and rods are a super personal preference item.
NPike
Posted 12/1/2018 4:24 PM (#924813 - in reply to #924771)

After playing around with some medium rods I now only use them 4 bass, pike, walleye. Getting old so I don't throw anything> ~ 3.6 oz and even then I got to take a break and switch to casting the lighter baits as needed. Your 1/2 to 3 oz rod covers a wide range of successful musky baits and that's what I presently use. If you go too light you can't toss the medium sized musky baits since you might break the rod. I remember snapping a medium rod action rod some 20+ years ago trying to cast a giant Rapala (live and learn story of fishing). Also when a fish exceeds 40" it can be a bit tough to control. The nice thing is that many rods rated at 3 oz can be slightly overloaded w/o being in danger of damaging the rod (have researched this w some rod manufacturers i.e.: St. Croix). Many great musky baits including many reasonably large bucktails, DepthRaiders, DDD's, Suicks, etc are available in the ~ (2+ to 3.6) oz range. Big enough for me and the fish I encounter.
BTW have caught a few good ones inadvertently on medium rods but remember it's a good idea to get the fish to the boat reasonably quickly, a reason not to go to light.
RLSea
Posted 12/3/2018 8:32 PM (#924925 - in reply to #924733)

Long Ranger, my fav rod, falls into the 3/4-3oz. category...
Will Schultz
Posted 12/4/2018 7:36 AM (#924932 - in reply to #924733)

The 8' to 8'11" Legend Tournament flippin sticks/punch rods sound like what you are looking for. Great rods for exactly the lures you named.
kdawg
Posted 12/4/2018 11:30 AM (#924948 - in reply to #924932)

Those St. Croix flippin blanks look good. Just need them now with a musky handle,full and split grip. Perfect rods for spring fishing, downsized baits for pressured lakes, and gin clear water that with a lack of heavy cover. Imo, if u can build them for the super heavy lures, build them for the smaller baits to. Kdawg
Zinox
Posted 12/4/2018 11:23 PM (#925013 - in reply to #924733)

I have used the LT bass Swimbait (not mega swimbait) rod a lot for smaller baits, its a bit on the overpowered side, but it handles fish truly awesome, and Currently in the process of doing an exstra LT bass Swimbait rod, but for spinning reel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)