Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ever wonder if jetting a Lund is a good idea? Well lemme tell ya

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ever wonder if jetting a Lund is a good idea? Well lemme tell ya
Wood_Duck
Posted 10/29/2018 6:52 PM (#922051)
Subject: Ever wonder if jetting a Lund is a good idea? Well lemme tell ya

It’s fantastic. I’ve been an outboard jet fanatic forever. I’d eventually switched to running a deep v hull to better cope with some of the northern lakes. Not very common to see here in Tennessee. When doing the deep V I made the mistake of going prop. I live a few minutes from one of the easts top trout tail waters and numerous other places where shallow capability is needed. It limited me in fishing and I couldn’t go some of the places i use to go and went through quite a few props trying to pay attention to where the channel was at all times. In July i decided to go for a compromise that kept me shallow but could still handle rollers on the big lakes. I opted for a Lund Rebel 1600 for its simple and classic layout. It is a lighter hull and still gave me better storage than my old boat. It was abit of a gamble with the deadrise of the hull. Usually 3 degrees is the magic number for a jet hull. But I noticed the Lund hulls had a small almost delta pad at the transom where the keel abruptly ended. I opted for a Mercury 60/40 Big Tiller. The Mercury is a brute compared to its competition and features not only a large pump(60/40 Yamaha only runs a medium) but comes standard with a stainless steel impeller as well. The boat has dual 6gal tanks in the back along with starting battery. Under the front deck rests two batteries and charger to power the Ulterra. Fully loaded with all storage full, just encase box, Yeti, and 500lbs worth of adults the boat planes quickly (faster than my 40hp prop) and averages 26.4mph on the lake. With that same load and just me and my 6yo son we were running 30.2mph downriver chasing trout. The boat handles like it’s on a rail and can run 7-8” of water no problem. Best part is I can’t get the thing to cavitate. This is usually an issue on jets running rougher water but this hull works so much better than it should on paper. Ran in some small 1.5ish ft rollers this weekend in Wisconsin with zero cavitation. It’s a little different feel driving if you run a jet already. The rear end isn’t as loose and the hull bites more in hard turns. The hull also helps push floating weeds and leave away from the pump and it has been the least troublesome jet I’ve owned for clogged intakes. If anyone’s pondered doing similar I’d highly recommend it and I’d be happy to answer any questions. Thought I’d share as I’ve gotten alot of comments and questions already from alot of curious folks

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4C6835DF-B963-4714-AC63-B2DBBE9977ED.jpeg (39KB - 566 downloads)
Attachments 52A35BA5-0D93-4B7E-AD42-5AEEB760539B.jpeg (97KB - 460 downloads)
Attachments A85F1074-37B3-4D79-85C1-DFB9273C5E23.jpeg (62KB - 419 downloads)
wallygator
Posted 10/31/2018 10:21 PM (#922258 - in reply to #922051)
Subject: Re: Ever wonder if jetting a Lund is a good idea? Well lemme tell ya

Hey Wood duck
Nice looking ride. I went with a Legend SS 150 Merc Jet drive in northern Wi . Love the set up and like you said go places where no one else can get to. Really like the set up.
Wood_Duck
Posted 11/1/2018 6:00 PM (#922341 - in reply to #922258)

wallygator - 10/31/2018 11:21 PM

Hey Wood duck
Nice looking ride. I went with a Legend SS 150 Merc Jet drive in northern Wi . Love the set up and like you said go places where no one else can get to. Really like the set up.

I bet that’s a beast.
CincySkeez
Posted 11/2/2018 9:53 AM (#922403 - in reply to #922341)

Super nice setup. Went to a jet two years ago SeaArk 1862 MVT with a 90/60 merc. Don't think i'll ever go with a prop again. But have been pondering this exact setup for the reasons you stated...Also same geography. Brother and I have some property on the Cumberland River in Burkesville KY, the river is great but we often get the itch to fish the lake or Dale Hallow but towing two boats around sucks.

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with that setup?
Wood_Duck
Posted 11/2/2018 10:44 PM (#922502 - in reply to #922403)

I don’t have the smartcraft in this one yet for mileage and honestly haven’t paid much mind to my range. I have dual 6gal tanks and fished Pewaukee/Okauchee 4 days running WOT most of the time with a little trolling and had about 3 gallons left in the 2nd tank. I’m used to crappier mileage with jets so it isn’t too terrible to me. Better than my last which was a SeaArk 1860 with 90/65.

Edited by Wood_Duck 11/2/2018 10:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)