Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Casting a Fly on Traditional Tackle?

Message Subject: Casting a Fly on Traditional Tackle?
Big Perc
Posted 10/7/2018 2:57 PM (#920410)
Subject: Casting a Fly on Traditional Tackle?

So I've recently become a Youtube.com junkie and have found myself watching some of the Today's Angler videos. In one of their episodes, Robby catches a muskie, post frontal on what appears to be a lindy rigged fly on traditional gear. So I contacted "Esoxfly" and had him tie me up a couple flies, of which turned out far beyond what my expectations where in quality and appearance. I can't wait to try them. (attached a picture) My question is, has anyone ever tried rigging a fly this way and had any success. I used a 15" fluorocarbon leader with a 3/4 oz rubber core sinker infant of it and intend to have it rigged as a throwback or even as a off the wall, 3rd man through tactic. 9attached a 2nd picture of the rigging) Thoughts and/or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks much and have a good one!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_5503.JPG)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_5504.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_5503.JPG (162KB - 323 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5504.JPG (72KB - 303 downloads)
talmooner
Posted 10/7/2018 3:25 PM (#920414 - in reply to #920410)
Subject: Re: Casting a Fly on Traditional Tackle?

Check the Kanalgratis website. Check out their "Dobb Daddy" rig. It is designed to be used with tube flies and specifically for traditional gear. I use the set up for pike fishing when in the Northwest Territories. Works excellent and with big flies.

Talmooner
Will Schultz
Posted 10/8/2018 9:23 AM (#920466 - in reply to #920410)

I'm sure it will function like that but isn't going to swim the same as a fly cast with a sinking line, not sure that matters though. The closest I've got to a fly that can be cast on gear and still swims like a fly cast with weighted line is to have weight between the segments or tied on keel weighted hooks. I wouldn't use a flouro leader ever with a fly but that's your call.
Fishysam
Posted 10/8/2018 7:46 PM (#920495 - in reply to #920410)

I saw a European guy fishing for pike, he made flys for traditional gear it pretty much had a very large clear head for weight to cast but not sink fast. It was on YouTube
talmooner
Posted 10/8/2018 9:11 PM (#920504 - in reply to #920410)

What Fishysam is drescribing is the Dobb Daddy from Kanalgratis
happy hooker
Posted 10/9/2018 7:46 PM (#920562 - in reply to #920504)

I don't know if this is legal,,but why not attach a long long dropper line to the back ring of a tailbait topwater,remove the hook,,add about 6 feet of line then leader and fly,,,the topwater would add weight for casting and sound combined with a natural look of the fly the fly would sink and you could straight retrieve or pull and jerk it like a strip with a fly rod. A little awkward to cast with the long line,,this is akin to a waterfilled casting bubble that used to be used for spinning gear when you wanted to fish flys on spinning gear in back country lakes where there was no room to back cast with a fly rod.
supertrollr
Posted 10/11/2018 2:40 PM (#920680 - in reply to #920410)

i would add a twin colorado no8 in from of that
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)