Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Green Bay Locals

Message Subject: Green Bay Locals
Cowboyhannah
Posted 9/5/2018 12:04 AM (#917600)
Subject: Green Bay Locals

Hi,

I have spent some time on GB with mixed results. Currently have a cabin in Vilas Co. on a class A musky lake. Been fishing up there for 18 years and always enjoy the many lakes to choose from. At the same time we’re considering starting a new chapter in our lives as one of the two kids is off to college and our teenager’s summer activities keep us from using the cabin as often as we used to. So.....as we are within 10 years of retirement my wife and I thought a change might be nice and are considering a move to some door co waterfront at some point. Actually looking at some of the listings in door co, we find one gets a bit more for their money on the big lake than on a 400+ acre lake in the north woods.

So, of course my wife likes the idea of door co. And I’m finding myself in the later stages of what some consider to be a natural evolution of a musky fisherman (I want to catch a musky, I want to catch a lot of muskies, I want to catch a big musky, I want to spend time chasing lots of big muskies).

What I’m wondering is how satisfied local guys are fishing GB. I’m not real familiar with the area so don’t know if there are options in the area other than GB. For you guys that primarily fish GB are you able to pattern fish all season?

Last question, if I’m, say launching from chaudoirs Park, is it a reasonable boat ride to Pensaukee point area with a 619 and 200 HP?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts,
jlong
Posted 9/5/2018 7:13 AM (#917601 - in reply to #917600)
Subject: Re: Green Bay Locals

My initial thought to your question is that if you make the move to Door County, your natural evolution will be to enjoy the other world class offerings in the area. You will chase Brown Trout and Trophy Walleyes in March/April, then smallmouth bass in May/June and slowly progress towards muskies in July/August. Then troll your way to a giant musky in Oct/Nov. Yes, you could chase muskies all season... but I'm guessing you will eventually learn to "take what the lake is giving" during each season. Good luck with your decision.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/5/2018 7:33 AM (#917603 - in reply to #917601)

My thoughts are the same as JLong. Incredible fishery, and one in which you need to sample all it has to offer. By being short sighted on just Muskies you would be missing out.
TTS
Posted 9/5/2018 7:59 AM (#917607 - in reply to #917600)

Completely agree with the above. GB is a world class fishery. I'm not so sure how often I'd be making the run across though. Things can get nasty in hurry out there. Probably the biggest downside to the fishery. Quiet a few days where you just don't go. For myself, I would be looking on the west side. But I get the Door County aspect. Beautiful area.
vegas492
Posted 9/5/2018 9:59 AM (#917613 - in reply to #917600)

Hannah, I'm not a local, but I bought a place in Door County about a year and a half ago. I got a few really nice muskies in GB and decided to get the cottage up in DC...thinking like you that I'd chase muskies all year long.

Yah, that isn't the case. As posted...you take what the lake offers you. Trophy walleyes, plentiful and trophy smallmouth, perch. And...you take what the wind will allow.

Buying on the Bay, frontage, to me is a waste of money. Ice can crush your pier and access isn't like access to a lake. Being centrally located to a number of launches is important. You will launch where the wind allows you to fish.
As far as that run across the Bay to Pensaukee? I've done it in my 619, but as posted, you need to be mindful of weather. Not just the weather when you launch, but the weather when you are over there. Run wise, it is about a 20-25 minute ride. Not a big deal. Just gotta keep an eye on those waves. Green Bay is like Lake Michigan. If you do not respect it, it will kill you in an instant and not think twice about it.

I still chase muskies when I can up there, but I'm really enjoying the walleyes and bass...more than I ever thought I would. And my wife really, really loves the smallies.

Last thing to consider...fishing GB isn't like fishing any inland lake...especially Vilas Co lakes. I fished North Twin a lot...thought it could get windy out there. Those waves aren't like anything you will encounter on a day with 15 mph NE winds on GB. You are talking about whitecaps on top of 3-4 foot rollers. And that isn't really a windy day.

My 619 can fish and cast in 3 footers, but it isn't fun. As you get older, you will find that those waves will really affect how much fun you are having out there.

It may sound like I'm down on musky fishing GB...I"m not. It is just really different than any other system and it takes time to learn. Along the way, the best advice was given above my post. Take what the bay will allow, fish what it will allow. If you don't, you won't like as much up there.

North of 8
Posted 9/5/2018 2:34 PM (#917669 - in reply to #917600)

From some of the shows I have watched on WI tv, if you retire there you probably will also want to consider the great ice fishing for whitefish and walleye they enjoy off the peninsula. But then, I love eating whitefish so I have a bias there.
esoxaddict
Posted 9/5/2018 4:42 PM (#917685 - in reply to #917669)

I have friends in the Fish Creek area. Awesome house overlooking GB. I'm sure it's not all like this, but they don't have a pier or stairs down to the water because the cost just for stairs was $75,000, and it's a long #*^@ way down there and back. I'm sure the fishing opportunities are far and wide, but if you have to hook up your boat and drive to the landing to dump the boat and bring it back home, what's the point of living on the water? The view is incredible, but...
Sudszee
Posted 9/5/2018 4:52 PM (#917688 - in reply to #917685)

Saw a pic of a 58+ very healthy fish plucked out of GB a couple days ago. Would be fun to be retired and chase after those.
mnmusky
Posted 9/5/2018 7:36 PM (#917708 - in reply to #917600)
Subject: RE: Green Bay Locals

was it this one?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(40833791_242240013141577_855051417956646912_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 40833791_242240013141577_855051417956646912_n.jpg (88KB - 335 downloads)
esox911
Posted 9/5/2018 7:41 PM (#917710 - in reply to #917600)

I moved to the Green Bay area this season----- Much different than up North Minocqua area fishing I am use to.... WIND !! Be careful on the Bay... 7-10 seems easy RIGHT... If its from the Northeast---you will see how even a very manageable wind becomes a Handful...… STURGEON BAY area fishing is FANTASTIC---- but not for Musky...… If that's where you end up you will be Trailering to chase the SKIS out there.... And Even with fishing with many guides for the last 8 years on the Bay--- you can go for very long periods of time with Nothing...….
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)