Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Getting skunked and late summer musky (Lac st louie)

Message Subject: Getting skunked and late summer musky (Lac st louie)
apo99
Posted 8/6/2018 10:12 AM (#914642)
Subject: Getting skunked and late summer musky (Lac st louie)

Hey guys,

I’ve been musky fishing for about 2-3 years now on Lac St louie in Montreal Canada, (St Laurence river),

Up until the first of august I had almost 15 consecutive days of catching fish over 44”. All the fish were caught on bucktails in shallow weeds 5-8 fow. Then suddenly we got a bit of rain the water temp went up to 74 and it seemed that the fish disappeared! I spent almost 30hrs on the water this week and not a single fish in sight. The weeds seem a bit less green and starting to brown. I fished weed beds adjacent to deep water, on the deep side and shallow side. Trolled deeper weed edges in 15- 20fow. Threw dawgs, spinner baits, topwaters, Jigged bondy baits in the channels and everything else! But nothing worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Does anyone still fish shallow mid to late summer?

Thanks again!
pklingen
Posted 8/6/2018 8:23 PM (#914758 - in reply to #914642)
Subject: Re: Getting skunked and late summer musky (Lac st louie)

find the bait and you'll find the fish. when that happens here the fish move off of shore and suspend off of deep points in 12' to 18' of water. i usually troll my baits contacting the point at selected depths and then the fish usually hit when it starts to run free on the other side of the point, sometimes they just can't resist it!

ps........ have your lure knocker ready, your going to need it, but its worth it!
apo99
Posted 8/6/2018 9:12 PM (#914768 - in reply to #914758)

pklingen - 8/6/2018 8:23 PM

find the bait and you'll find the fish. when that happens here the fish move off of shore and suspend off of deep points in 12' to 18' of water. i usually troll my baits contacting the point at selected depths and then the fish usually hit when it starts to run free on the other side of the point, sometimes they just can't resist it!

ps........ have your lure knocker ready, your going to need it, but its worth it!

Thx pklingen,

We dont have many off shore structures here other than some deep breaks near the shipping channels, but do you tend to forget weeds this time of year?
lifeisfun
Posted 8/7/2018 5:10 AM (#914785 - in reply to #914642)

There is always fish in weeds, not easy to fish it but they are there.
pklingen
Posted 8/9/2018 7:18 PM (#915168 - in reply to #914642)

where i'm at there are always fish in the weeds, but once the water warms into the 70's the bigger ones pull out and go deep where the preferred food source is. the only ones left are what we call the "weed rats", the smaller muskies afraid to go out where the bigger ones are........LOL.

now if you really want to get the larger fish, i jig bondys and rovers in 25 to 35 ft. of water on shelves adjacent to deep water. we NEVER catch a fish under 38" out there and they are normally over 40! good luck and enjoy the hunt...........
Dan111
Posted 8/9/2018 7:49 PM (#915170 - in reply to #915168)

I start going shallow late summer/early fall when we start getting those cooler nights. Fish close to where you have been catching those fish except deeper. Whether that is deeper breaks or deep weed edges, points that extend into deeper water. keep throwing
CincySkeez
Posted 8/13/2018 1:13 PM (#915421 - in reply to #914642)

Don't be afraid to night fish, I fish a different part of the Larry (Clayton NY) but have had better success late summer fishing at night.

Also maybe give it a go with a jig in those weeds.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)