Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Island camping LOTW?

Message Subject: Island camping LOTW?
btfish
Posted 7/12/2017 5:27 AM (#869774 - in reply to #869765)
Subject: Re: Island camping LOTW?

Yard Guard - outside. Spray the tent, cloths, sleeping bag with Permethrin on the inside.
dickP
Posted 7/12/2017 7:09 AM (#869791 - in reply to #869381)

Bears and squirrels aside,there are far more sinister threats awaiting inattentive campers on LOTWs.
Foremost would be Sirens and Mermaids.
While the risk from Sirens has been downplayed since Roman times,the threat is real and there are ample shoals and rocky shorelines one can be lured into.Trust me,it's not mere greek mythology.
Mermaids are,well Mermaids.If my age the threat is reduced but if young and virile,watch out.Never camp near known danger areas such as Naked Lady Bay,Lovers Rock,Romatic island,etc.
Serious business indeed,choose your camping spots carefully.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 7/12/2017 11:58 AM (#869859 - in reply to #869381)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(A7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments A7.jpg (26KB - 376 downloads)
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/12/2017 5:21 PM (#869919 - in reply to #869381)

Forgot to mention that we had a bear in our cabin a couple years ago on lotw. Buddy left the screen door to the screened in porch open and we woke up to mama and a few cubs munching on our garbage.

When they did retreat it was the craziest thing I've even seen. Mama went in reverse never taking her eyes of me.
BassTard
Posted 7/25/2017 3:08 PM (#871495 - in reply to #869381)

How did the camping go, I assume you made it out safely without any encounters from Bears, Wolves or Squirrels. Let us know how the adventure went?
joe1977
Posted 7/27/2017 7:30 AM (#871744 - in reply to #869381)

Lets just say you won't see me camping on LOTW in July. Rabid squirrels bit my buddy and put him in the hospital with Rabies. A black bear ate all of our food and put a hole in our tent. The wolves ate my dog, and the mosquitos were so thick I ended up needing a blood transfusion. We should all be out of the hospital this week.

Something is seriously wrong with you basstard. We obviously had no crazy encounters and the fish were snapping.

Captain
Posted 7/27/2017 3:55 PM (#871845 - in reply to #869381)

We camp on LOTW near where you are describing and we have an electric bear fence we setup. Then we don't worry about any run ins. The only issue we had was a large group of goslings that were rummaging around our campsite while momma was standing on the other side of the fence. She couldn't get in and my buddy walked up to the campsite and all heck broke loose. Mom wasn't happy and was hissing and carrying on and eventually her kids got the idea and wandered to the water.
The one thing I haven't gotten too comfortable with is storms. Man, every year we have a nasty storm up there. Last year it was 5 inches of rain one night. This year 60MPH wind gust that pushed my boat sideways on shore.
We camp for 5 days. I haven't seen a bear yet, but the guys who have made this trip in nearly 20 years have said they have had them around camp, but the fence always kept them out. I kinda want to head back in the fall and chase some grouse. There are a bunch of them on the islands.
BassTard
Posted 8/3/2017 12:42 PM (#872876 - in reply to #869381)

Glad to hear all went well Joe. I have camped on islands on LOTWS for the past 10 years and have never seen any bears or wolves either Nothing to worry about except more pressure on LOTWS which continues to increase due to Saric!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/3/2017 5:19 PM (#872908 - in reply to #872876)

We got "beared" our first night this season! Had to move at 11pm. Not fun. Used to like bears, but not anymore!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)