Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> optimax pro xs oil question

Reply New post
Message Subject: optimax pro xs oil question
carl
Posted 9/12/2016 7:44 AM (#830137)
Subject: optimax pro xs oil question

I have a 2012 115 Mercury Optimax Pro XS that I normally run with Mercury Optimax oil or Quicksilver DFI oil. Never had an issue with either of these. A few weeks back I topped off the oil reservoir with Quicksilver Premium Plus. I didn't really think anything of it since the bottle said it was good for Optimax / DFI motors but ever since I added the Premium Plus my motor has been running a lot rougher. More smoke, seeing unburnt oil, poor idle.

Is mixing DFI oil and Premium Plus a big no-no? I probably added 2 quarts of the Premium Plus to the tank. Should I drain the tank and refill with all DFI oil (change spark plugs, run quick kleen)? Or are there other things I need to do to get my motor back to running healthy?

Pal
Posted 9/12/2016 6:50 PM (#830207 - in reply to #830137)
Subject: RE: optimax pro xs oil question

Hi,

I have seen this question a few times on BBC, and from what I have read, Mercury/Quicksilver Premium PLUS and Mercury/Quicksilver Optimax/DFI oils are compatible with each other but in general you should stick to the recommended oil for your Pro XS.

Did you perhaps disconnect the oil line ? If so, I think you need to perhaps bleed the line.

As far as fuel additives, I use the below. It has been good to me for years, although I do not put any corn gas in my boat anymore after a bad experience with it.

For each 5 gallons of gas --
1oz Mercury QuickCare
1oz Mercury QuickLeen

Good Luck

Pal
OnceBit
Posted 9/13/2016 2:17 PM (#830311 - in reply to #830137)
Subject: RE: optimax pro xs oil question

The premium plus is actually the oil of recommendation when the Pro XS first came out. A few years ago (I believe it was around 2012) Mercury put out a bulletin stating the DFI oil is now the oil of recommendation to reduce carbon build up in the engine. They were finding out people with side imaging technologies where spending much more time than normal idling at low speeds and the use of the premium plus was creating excess carbon build up in the engines. I've owned a 2007 175 Pro XS since it was new (now with 850 hours) in which I used the premium plus with no problem ( though I don't idle around for any length of time), I just recently heard the news and now use the DFI which is fully compatible with the Premium Plus. I religiously use the Mercury additives and avoid ethanol fuels when possible.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)