Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> First timer going to Cass

Message Subject: First timer going to Cass
backlash 101
Posted 8/27/2016 11:10 AM (#828639)
Subject: First timer going to Cass

Hey guys going to try fishing Cass for the first time over labor day weekend. Looking for any tips or starting points on where to start. I'll be fishing alone, because my partner had to bail out last minute. I'm not looking for secret spots, just peoples general approach when fishing this body of water. Feel free to p.m. if you'd like. Thanks to anyone who responds!
OnceBit
Posted 8/27/2016 4:42 PM (#828671 - in reply to #828639)
Subject: RE: First timer going to Cass

Allen's Bay is a great area to start. Fish the mid lake humps with small bucktails, topwaters and twitch/jerk baits keying in on inside turns, points and quick breaks with the thickest cabbage. The reeds in and around the narrows and doghead bar also come into play in late August keying in on deep water cuts with cabbage. Cass is full of invasive species, so practice due diligence. Catch a big one!
backlash 101
Posted 8/28/2016 11:14 AM (#828713 - in reply to #828671)

Thanks Oncebit! I appreciate the info. If you don't mind a follow-up question, how deep of water is your boat in when you are casting to structure on Cass?? Thanks again for the info I'll report back once I'm done with the trip!
OnceBit
Posted 8/28/2016 3:33 PM (#828725 - in reply to #828713)

Just depends on what your focusing on. On the big lake one could be in 40' of water casting up to 6' sand/rocks, another bar you may be in 12' casting up to 8' weed clumps. All depends on how fast the bar breaks to deep water and the structure your keying in on. In Allen's bay most humps top out 4-6' with the weed line down to 8-12' and 20' would be a good depth for boat positioning. Though I would rather error on the shallow side (worse that can happen is you get boat sided). Just be sure your boat is on good structure. It would be wise to get right on the weed line so you can see the weeds, then move slowly along the break casting on top and parallel studying the weed/break line until you get to know them.
MuskyKarma
Posted 8/28/2016 6:03 PM (#828730 - in reply to #828639)
Subject: Re: First timer going to Cass

Where might you be staying? I will be at Cass Lake Lodge next weekend as well. Allens bay is a great place to start. I was there last week. Anywhere you find good cabbage, the fish are there. They are also out on the 10-15 foot edges out on the main lake.
backlash 101
Posted 8/28/2016 7:35 PM (#828733 - in reply to #828730)

I'm actually camping up at Kitchi Landing, but I plan to spend a good amount of time on Cass. Thanks for the input on the main lake structure I'll keep that in mind. If you see one guy fishing out of G3 boat stop and say hi (Name is Chris) I'll gladly share any info! Thanks for your help!
MuskyKarma
Posted 8/28/2016 8:40 PM (#828738 - in reply to #828639)

Yeah I will be glad to. I am in a green crestliner with a 115 yamaha. Name is Alex. Fished Cass for 15 years and it is quite intimidating when first atarting out. There are also definitely a few big fish in Kitchi, but low in numbers, and hard to locate due to so much weed coverage throughout. The mainlake on Cass is usually very clear, and weeds are scarce throuhout with the exception of Allens Bay. I never usually have trouble locating fish during the day on pounder bulldawgs. This time of year bucktails and topwaters should be going at low light hours. I have a TON of success fishing inside out on the mainlake bars. Position your boat in 5-6 foot on the sandbars and cast out over open water.
backlash 101
Posted 8/30/2016 7:46 AM (#828920 - in reply to #828738)

Thanks for the great tips MuskyKarma! I'll try them and report back to you on how it works out!

Edited by backlash 101 8/30/2016 7:47 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)