Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Eagle Lake Ontario

Message Subject: Eagle Lake Ontario
Slimeball
Posted 6/20/2016 3:46 PM (#821195)
Subject: Eagle Lake Ontario

Trying to get an idea of travel times/distances from AML to the end of the West Arm and from AML south into the Net Island region.
we'll be bringing my own boat (90hp), but will be not going Wot obviously not knowing navigational hazards.
also anyone stayed in cabin #5 at AML? How did you like it?
Thanks Jay

Edited by Slimeball 6/20/2016 9:28 PM
ivpush
Posted 6/20/2016 7:51 PM (#821213 - in reply to #821195)
Subject: Re: Eagle Lake Ontario, mid September

I think it's about 12 miles to buzzard falls and around 25 to the east end, ie Skye's reef, indigo, etc
Big Perc
Posted 6/20/2016 9:32 PM (#821221 - in reply to #821195)

I've stayed in cabin 5 there, trust me it doesn't matter what cabin you stay in, they're all top notch. With our 225 Verado pushing a 620 full loaded it takes about 8-10 minutes at 50 mph to get to Trout Hole #2. To get to the Nash's Bay area is about 12-15 minutes, Coleman's area is about 20-22 minutes depending of course on wind. We got a 51" 46" 37" and 31" and lost 5-6 others last September during the 3rd week and the weather was crazy warm. Fish were still in summer spots. Hopefully you get colder weather and the lake has turns over for you. Good Luck!
toddb
Posted 6/20/2016 9:54 PM (#821222 - in reply to #821221)

Easily 25 miles to east end. 45 minutes to an hour minimum with a 90. Net island area you can knock off 20min. Best bet is to have one of Herbies best take you there on a guided trip. It will be the best $$ u ever spent...

Edited by toddb 6/20/2016 9:56 PM
Slimeball
Posted 6/20/2016 10:09 PM (#821225 - in reply to #821195)
Subject: Re: Eagle Lake Ontario

Thanks guys!
toddb. I do have a guide booked for one day as that's all my budget will allow.
Perc. Even though I don't have a 225 hp, that puts distances in a more clear perspective for me.
I have been hearing mid September can be a tricky time up there depending on how the fall is progressing.
Slamr
Posted 6/21/2016 7:45 AM (#821245 - in reply to #821195)

Not to be that guy that chimes in on a question and goes a totally different direction but...unless you've fished the lake enough to get bored of the stuff closer to camp...start close, work your way outwards. Lots of great stuff within sight of camp if not within a 20 min run. If its sunny and flat, find darker water closer to camp, if you've got some clouds and/or wind, try west arm or portage. Not that I'm AGAINST travelling, but if you're not that familiar with the lake yet, you're passing tons of great water to find fish on spots you're not 100% attuned to but driving a good ways to get there.
jonnysled
Posted 6/21/2016 8:40 AM (#821254 - in reply to #821245)

i agree with the Panda ... learning to fish good spots correctly is more important than fishing a bunch of spots and running all over the place.
whynot
Posted 6/21/2016 9:30 AM (#821265 - in reply to #821195)

One year MuskyBrian and I left the boat on the trailer and drove to the east side to save gas (it was like $6/gallon that year). Wasn't a bad drive and definitely quicker than motoring over.

However, like others have said, you go past a lot of good spots getting to where you're asking about. The Vermilion Bay area has a lot of big fish.

Edited by whynot 6/21/2016 9:31 AM
Musky Brian
Posted 6/21/2016 10:42 AM (#821277 - in reply to #821245)

Slamr - 6/21/2016 7:45 AM

. Lots of great stuff within sight of camp .

We are going to have to disagree on "great".....I'd say more like "chance to put nice fish in the boat"

There's some big fish in the Vermilion Bay area. I saw one by the Govt Dock once that required a change of shorts when I got back. There's also a lot of company out there. Some feel that doesn't matter, but I'm not really buying that. I also know that 90% of the time the guide boats are charging out East/South. There's a reason they do that, and it's not go to sight seeing for eagles or indian pictographs.....

Slimeball,one of my best trips there ever was Mid Sept. Low on overall numbers and follows, but patterned out some big fish coming up shallow at night in the West Arm.

Edited by Musky Brian 6/21/2016 10:44 AM
esoxaddict
Posted 6/21/2016 10:52 AM (#821281 - in reply to #821277)

Musky Brian - 6/21/2016 10:42 AM

We are going to have to disagree on "great".....I'd say more like "chance to put nice fish in the boat"

There's some big fish in the Vermilion Bay area. I saw one by the Govt Dock once that required a change of shorts when I got back. There's also a lot of company out there. Some feel that doesn't matter, but I'm not really buying that. I also know that 90% of the time the guide boats are charging out East/South. There's a reason they do that, and it's not go to sight seeing for eagles or indian pictographs.....

Slimeball,one of my best trips there ever was Mid Sept. Low on overall numbers and follows, but patterned out some big fish coming up shallow at night in the West Arm.

Some good water out East. But we see a lot of North Shore guys down by AML while we're heading out 40 minutes to go fish by North Shore. We always pass the Temple Bay guys going the other way when we're going to fish around Temple Bay. It's an unwritten rule - the fish are always wayyyyy over the other end of the lake from wherever you're staying.

Some of the biggest fish I've seen on Eagle were less than 5 minutes from AML. My biggest came off McCall's Island.

Gotta agree with Andrew on this one. If you're running 25 miles each way to chase a rainbow, you just killed over an hour of fishing. You'll waste one day out of 6 just running across the lake.

Edited by esoxaddict 6/21/2016 10:54 AM
jonnysled
Posted 6/21/2016 10:57 AM (#821284 - in reply to #821277)

Musky Brian - 6/21/2016 10:42 AM

2 hours of driving a boat makes the day go faster too ... plus you don't have to listen to customers whine or pick out backlashes while you're driving.
Slimeball
Posted 6/21/2016 11:46 AM (#821293 - in reply to #821195)

I definitely won't bite off more than I can chew. Just wanted to get a better idea of distances.
Is the area around AML/Vermilion Bay "busy" in September? We'll be there the 9th - 20th.
Thanks again.
Booch
Posted 6/26/2016 7:24 PM (#821841 - in reply to #821195)

I've been to several different parts of Eagle, several times. I see no need for a 25 mile boat ride, unless you just want to take a boat ride.

I agree with sled about the guides up there. Unless you have a talk with the guide ahead of time, odds are you are in for a long boat ride to fish a rock that'll look very similar to 20 or so others you passed along the way.
Andy Myers Lodge
Posted 6/27/2016 7:00 AM (#821860 - in reply to #821195)
Subject: RE: Eagle Lake Ontario

slimeball.
13 miles 20 min to end of west arm,10 miles to net island 12-15 min.
that being said rarely would i get to the east end,south,or end of west arm unless i ran directly there and worked back. there are to many good spots from 400 yds from the dock on out to pass up or run by,big mistake. i suggest you take the info given when you get here which will be up to date and take VB and learn it then branch to which direction(s) daily reports suggest recent high activity levels and go from there learning section by section more intimately . also something to be said about running times and having your bait in the water instead. another very important daily factor is wind and what section to be fishing accordingly. get 30+ w- nw gusts running down the 20+ mile fetch of the wind on the central sections and the smaller northern /westerns,back channel areas,etc are more efficiently and safely fished. so there's things to consider when making intelligent choices. we'll help you with that daily.for most new to the lake or a section its much more productive to take real time relevant daily info and pick apart a section you are getting familiar with much more productive than running around helter skelter chasing internet suggestions. there's fish and productive water from one end to the other. once you learn the diff sections over time you are then able to use the lake intelligently according to seasons,weather,wind,and what the fish are telling us. it is an amazing system with unique diversity and options. but.. if anyone tells you any one section is the best section of the lake all the time under the many diff conditions faced thru the season it only tells you they know little about the lake.
while here just ask and you will recieve. i havent fished further than 5 miles from camp this season and have had fish in the boat every day since opener and doubling 3 times . but..looking forward to fishing some more of the lake too.
relax you'll be in good shape. looking forward to seeing you.
steve herbeck
AML prop. emeritus ,guest fishing instruction coordinator , master guide
facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge andymyerslodge.com

Edited by Andy Myers Lodge 6/27/2016 7:06 AM
Slimeball
Posted 6/27/2016 9:08 PM (#821973 - in reply to #821195)

Got it. Thanks Herbie.
jonnysled
Posted 6/28/2016 7:38 AM (#822022 - in reply to #821195)

when you drive out of AML there is a rock ... you go right or you go left for your day. one day i stopped and fished the rock and caught a 50 ... i'd love to show you the picture, but when measuring said fish, i lost my grip and in a second she was tail kicking it back to her home.

i call that spot "slippery rock" now ...

so true, you don't have to go far when fishing out of AML ... you can do either, both or otherwise. bottom line is it's a great place to be if you want to get after big fish.
Slimeball
Posted 6/28/2016 12:27 PM (#822086 - in reply to #821195)

Aptly named!
jonnysled
Posted 6/28/2016 1:01 PM (#822088 - in reply to #822086)

Pictures first, then measure ...

of course everyone at camp was kind and gave me no grief at all after it happened ... i usually don't call a number on it, but just refer to it as "big" ... and, it was.
Slobasaurus
Posted 6/29/2016 11:33 AM (#822229 - in reply to #821195)

Musky Brian- my partner and I have had 4-5 fish days fishing in the Vermillion Bay / Gateway to West Arm and a little bit south areas including some high 40s and a 51. We used to fish out of a rig with an old 40hp. Even though we are now powered by a 135hp outboard we still prefer to stick close to home, particularly during the twilight periods of the day as Herbie mentioned, which has served us well. So many unique spots big and small up that way. We've spent entire weeks staying in a 5mi radius and done well. Gods country up there. Can't wait to be up this August.
streeder
Posted 7/3/2016 10:46 PM (#822651 - in reply to #821195)

I just got back from staying on Vermillion Bay and we never went farther than 5th n Broadway to the west and Muskie Point to the south. Got one close to 50 inches and had numerous huge follows. I don't think you need to go too far from AML to find quality fish.
Booch
Posted 7/5/2016 2:35 PM (#822755 - in reply to #822651)

streeder - 7/3/2016 10:46 PM

I just got back from staying on Vermillion Bay and we never went farther than 5th n Broadway to the west and Muskie Point to the south. Got one close to 50 inches and had numerous huge follows. I don't think you need to go too far from AML to find quality fish.

Any more details you can share? Water temps, weed growth, etc.? We are heading up to South Shore this Friday.
Redlineracer12
Posted 7/7/2016 8:51 AM (#822906 - in reply to #821195)

Caught our biggest fish of the trip last year (48.5") within 3 minutes of AML. We stayed for 7 days in mid August and never made it into the west arm or even close to Net Island. It's a crazy lake to learn, there are fish everywhere.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)