Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Flour leaders - knot or crimp?

Message Subject: Flour leaders - knot or crimp?
ShutUpNFish
Posted 5/3/2016 1:16 PM (#815938 - in reply to #815442)
Subject: Re: Flour leaders - knot or crimp?

Always a knot and never crimped....I learned through experience ONCE.....ONCE!

Surgeon's loop knot to mainline and Palomar on the business end. Simple
BNelson
Posted 5/3/2016 1:38 PM (#815942 - in reply to #815442)

as others have mentioned when done properly a crimp is rock solid... saltwater guys crimp and they catch a lot bigger fish than we do... haven't had one fail ... ever.. but I use 180 lb and crimp properly.
Basschamp167
Posted 6/16/2016 12:17 AM (#820745 - in reply to #815442)

I use 1.00 mm crimps for 100. Can be a tight squeeze, but I cut a shallow angle on the leader line end before I slide the crimp on. That allows it to fit with pretty good ease. I've noticed that a good crimp will make the tag and main flare from each other, so they run at a little bit of an angle to each other, not completely parallel. I'll see if I can get pictures up. On leaders for heavier duty, like big rubber baits, I still run 100 lb but with two crimps. I will try to get some pictures up. I also do the saltwater loop on swivel and split ring. I don't use snaps, don't trust them, just a split ring from leader to lure. Doesn't waste any more time to change out lures. Check out the saltwater loop. Basically you go through the eye of the swivel or split ring twice, and then wrap the tag through the loop two to three times. It prevents most chafing of leader one the terminal connections.
Zach
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)