Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Never, EVER, take a knee in the Pursuit that is your life! You only get one shot at anything, and Fair Catches are for those who choose not to Stand and Deliver, So do not pi$$ it all away! GO HARD, or stay home!"
- (Added by: muskynightmare)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Tri-Blades & Pike Bucktail

Message Subject: Tri-Blades & Pike Bucktail
bigbite
Posted 4/9/2016 1:42 PM (#813392)
Subject: Tri-Blades & Pike Bucktail

Here's a few new ones I made up for a customer. The lighting leaves a lot to be desired,
but the one on the left has two black nickel blades and a white top blade with a barred clear black skirt. The one next to it has silver blades, and the one next to the Pike bait has copper blades with a black and copper skirt. This is my second attempt working with the a three bladed bait this size.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN1040 (Copy).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN1040 (Copy).JPG (69KB - 433 downloads)
muskie tamer
Posted 4/9/2016 2:00 PM (#813393 - in reply to #813392)
Subject: Re: Tri-Blades & Pike Bucktail

I really like that pike, nice work.
bigbite
Posted 4/9/2016 6:44 PM (#813432 - in reply to #813392)
Subject: RE: Tri-Blades & Pike Bucktail

Thanks Musky tamer.
Here's another batch

Edited by bigbite 4/9/2016 6:49 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Tri-Bladed Models - 2 (Copy).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tri-Bladed Models - 2 (Copy).JPG (78KB - 452 downloads)
jdsplasher
Posted 4/9/2016 7:18 PM (#813438 - in reply to #813432)

Great job Gerry!!!  Like the pike and green machine:)

get to run those puppies yet? Any problems with the blades spinning on water contact?

JD

bigbite
Posted 4/10/2016 8:24 AM (#813484 - in reply to #813438)

Thanks JD! No, I don't anticipate a problem. These are modeled much the same as the $50 Dadson Discotheque. The physics principal being that the small blade in front creates a path in the water column enabling the revolving dbl. 10s behind it to pass through it with less resistance and thereby making it easier to retrieve.

Edited by bigbite 4/10/2016 8:28 AM
Mitch Garcia
Posted 4/10/2016 8:42 AM (#813489 - in reply to #813392)

These look great. What size is the front blade? Have you tried different sized blades too? Thanks for sharing these photos.
bigbite
Posted 4/10/2016 10:23 AM (#813505 - in reply to #813489)

Thank you Mitch. No, I haven't tried different front blades other then the #8 Colorado. I might try a #9 or magnum #8 blade just to see what if any difference there might be. I do think that switching to a larger blade might increase the drag on the bait, but there is only one way to know for sure and that's to try it.
muskie tamer
Posted 4/10/2016 5:28 PM (#813548 - in reply to #813392)

Love the one on the left of the second pic.
PikePeter
Posted 6/21/2016 1:29 PM (#821312 - in reply to #813392)

Total beautys!!!
Real nice looking!!!
I myself was thinking about doing some kind of experiment with triple blades but have not yet found any satisfactory way so far... but, this was very smart!!!
All I have been thinking so far has been a way of home-buildin a triple-clevis in some way, but, then again I have only been thinking about having three same size blades, this idea looks really neat!!!

Also, looks really well built!!!

I am just waiting on getting some more bucktail again so I can get in to tying some more nice tubes for myself.
I have always been an avid fly tyer back when I used to flyfish a lot, so, was only natural I'd get in to spinner-building somewhere along the way, now I've had a long break from building anything like a spinner and a few years since I tied the last fly, but, have made a few spinners from the scrap I had left from before, felt real nice!!! Almost as addicting as fishing for pike!!! :D

Kind regards and tight lines from the north of sweden!
/peter

EDIT: by the way? The Pike one in the first pick? have you yourself painted the blades???
Either way, a total beaut!!!

Edited by PikePeter 6/21/2016 1:35 PM
bigbite
Posted 6/21/2016 4:22 PM (#821335 - in reply to #821312)

Thank you Peter. Yeah, they were rigged for tough angling. I used #8 easy spin clevises on .062 wire. All the hooks were shrink wrapped down to the crotch of the hook to prevent the flashabou from fouling in the hooks.

I have seen a rig called (I believe) the "Apache" that had a triple clevis set up for three #10 blades. I don't think you'd be able to buy the clevis device separately as it is probably a proprietary item. I'm not sure I'd want to use something like that for any length of time due to the resistance in retrieving it.
bigbite
Posted 6/21/2016 4:25 PM (#821336 - in reply to #813548)

Glad you like it Muskytamer. Those are black nickel blades combined with holographic red & black salt water flashabou.
Pal
Posted 6/22/2016 8:27 PM (#821535 - in reply to #821336)

Very nice as always Gerry

Pal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)