Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hair vs flashabou vs marabou vs silicone blades

Message Subject: Hair vs flashabou vs marabou vs silicone blades
DBJr
Posted 2/18/2016 8:27 AM (#805385)
Subject: Hair vs flashabou vs marabou vs silicone blades

Just curious as to what situations & conditions dictates your preference?
muskyman1122
Posted 2/18/2016 8:36 AM (#805388 - in reply to #805385)
Subject: RE: Hair vs flashabou vs marabou vs silicone blades

I use flashabuo year around... I don't use much of any other materials
muskyman1122
Posted 2/18/2016 9:56 AM (#805408 - in reply to #805385)

I believe that flashabuo moves the most out of the three but Im not sure
AFchris
Posted 2/18/2016 10:03 AM (#805409 - in reply to #805385)
Subject: Re: Hair vs flashabou vs marabou vs silicone blades

This is a great convo. In the end, everyone is going to have their own personal opinion on the matter. Furthermore, what it really comes down to is your own personal preference. The question becomes...what do you have confidence in? Find it, and stick with it. If you have confidence in that bait/material you're going to fish it much more effectively with a greater degree of confidence ultimately resulting in you putting more fish in the boat.

Give me a bucktail in all three variants and I'll catch fish on all three.

As for my personal preference I've always been a fan of silicone & marabou. Nothing ticks me off more than trying to retrieve a flashabou bucktail from my box and it has morphed into three baits that become nearly impossible to untangle. I've always preferred the profile and durability of silicone. I really like marabou because it tends to ride higher in the water column. This is great for fishing thick/tall weeds. You can slow down your retrieve a tad and allow that bait to remain in the strike zone longer. Again, this is a technique specific application but I've had good luck with it.

As for other technique specifics between flash & silicone I think it really comes down to the craftsmanship and weighting of the bucktail. Some companies make heaver bucktails...others don't. Some blade combinations spin as soon as the bait hits the water...others not so much. If I were going to fish a flash bait, Krammer Bro's makes one of the best on the market. Obviously I'm a bit biased on the silicone.

Hope this helps,

Chris
bigbite
Posted 2/18/2016 11:04 AM (#805415 - in reply to #805385)

Each has its time and place.
Will Schultz
Posted 2/18/2016 12:24 PM (#805426 - in reply to #805385)

For me the material I like is dictated by the blades. For single french, willow , colorado and fluted Indiana either hair or silicone looks the best. I really don't like marabou or tinsel with single blades unless I want a thin profile to the bait. Double blades allow for marabou and tinsel to flare and they look much better in the water.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/18/2016 1:06 PM (#805433 - in reply to #805385)

To me, marabou casts better, then silicone, then flash. All work. I am making my own now and get pretty good action out of single blade marabou, can weight them how ya want em etc no matter what material used. I can't comment on what material is more effective, but 3 of the 4 bucktail fish I have caught since starting to make them have been on marabou. But I am also throwing them during prime times because of confidence, which is the key... if it moves fish keep it in the water.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/18/2016 2:17 PM (#805454 - in reply to #805385)

I've gone to throwing mostly marabou, mostly because of the awesome casting distance and less fatigue that goes with it. I've scored some very nice fish having thrown more of them in the last couple years. Not to say that I wouldn't have caught them on flash or hair, but I have full confidence in them now!
5th lake Brad
Posted 2/18/2016 2:27 PM (#805456 - in reply to #805385)

In really stained water I like flash more, all of them work. I've done better with marabou in water a little more clear.

The marabou catches the fishermen a lot better though.
tkuntz
Posted 2/18/2016 5:07 PM (#805501 - in reply to #805385)

Big fan of marabou and medium to wide cut flash. Marabou seems to look more like a fish swimming but flash has a larger profile and more motion front to back. I despise thin cut flash, the lures turn into one giant dreadlock of death that is impossible to untangle without stabbing a hook into your finger.
musky513
Posted 2/18/2016 9:35 PM (#805535 - in reply to #805385)

I'm a fan of the marabou flash combo like the electric bunny and big bird. I like the flow of the bou and the little added flash at the tail,end looks pretty sweet I think. As said above, the bou casts way better in windy conditions than flash. It probably helps that I've caught a bunch of fish on those baits the past couple seasons...
Sidejack
Posted 2/20/2016 9:31 AM (#805651 - in reply to #805385)

Tuff ta beat hair for profile.
Mix in some tinsel and you've got the hard to find halo around it in the water.
Ghost Tails gets it right if you need to see an example.
MuskyJimmer
Posted 6/19/2019 5:14 PM (#941009 - in reply to #805385)

When building, would you go marabou on top of the tinsel, or tinsel on top of the marabou?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)