Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Lower French River information

Message Subject: Lower French River information
muskysaloon
Posted 1/29/2016 7:45 AM (#801908)
Subject: Lower French River information

I've done a search and found some useful information, but was wanting to get some more up to date info. For those of you that have fished it, what was/is your impressions? How does the landscaping compare to NW Ontario where I usually go? I assume fishing pressure is very low in areas like Bears Den Lodge? Is the musky population terribly low there (I fish lots of trout water so used to low populations, but is it lower than that)? In other posts I see where folks go for several trips without even seeing a fish. I have also heard that gill netting is an issue, or is that with the upper French area? Is it good to travel down to Georgian Bay and fish? Sorry for so many questions. If someone is familiar with the area, PM me and we can chat over the phone if you prefer over posting. All responses and any info is very much appreciated! thanks
Emptynet
Posted 1/29/2016 8:59 PM (#802031 - in reply to #801908)
Subject: RE: Lower French River information

You might want to talk to Graham Bristow. He guides on Georgian Bay out of Port Severn, but he used to fish quite a bit on the French River. He could probably provide you with some info on the muskies there.
Gray ghost
Posted 1/30/2016 8:04 AM (#802050 - in reply to #801908)

Hello, I logged in as a first time user because of this question. I went to bears den in 2010 I believe. It is definitely very different from where I usually muskie fish in canada. Fish densities r pretty low. We had 3 boats there and between us we boated 2 fish - 47.5 and a 47. That was in a week. We did not have good conditions as it was scorching hot and hit mid 90's a couple of days. That being said, the boat I was in fished 73 hours and we saw 5 fish. And I lost about a 42 inch pike. BUT... WE did see a fish follow that we guessed to be 53 to 55 inches. I also lost a fish that was bigger than anything I have caught to this date. We guessed it to be maybe 54 inches. I kick myself as I completely botched that fish. Oh well... i also had a 48 inch fish blow up on myour topwater nextra to the boat.. So the big fish r there and it took us a few days to get acclimated as to where we wanted to spend our time. One of the boats with us hired a guide on day one. And that helped them out a bunch. If I remember correctly they saw 17 fish for the week. One thing we learned when we were there is that u cannot motor in to Georgian bay from bears den. There may b a way to get down there but in my time there we did not get to it. U definitely cannot motor into georgian bay. I get to canada a couple of times a year at the most and do like more action than what we had but for trophy water this was as good as I saw. The water is different as there is a lot of unmarked rocks and there r no real good maps. We used our gps units to get a trail on the actual river areas and followed those to a ree. Depths could go from 100 feet to nothing in a very short distance. It is dangerous water that way. But it was a fun exploratory trip. But some things r weird. U park your vehicle at a marina where they charge u daily to store your rig. So plan for that expense. Then u drive a couple of miles to bears den. It is a provincial park so there are a lot of canoes around. The place is known for rattlesnakes as well however we never saw any. Also the mosquitos were the worst I have ever seen. They were horrible. Thank god we had mosquito coils in the cabin. I can get u more information if u wish. Since it is a much further drive for me I won't b going back there for awhile. Lotw is closer and easier to get to for me and I see more fish. I can get you some map info if u plan on going. Just let me know...
muskysaloon
Posted 1/31/2016 7:29 PM (#802245 - in reply to #801908)

thanks for the info Ghost! Though, I could have gone without knowing about the rattlesnakes. that could be a game changer! lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)