Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Riveted or Welded Hulls ?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Riveted or Welded Hulls ?
Musky Killer
Posted 5/26/2003 7:32 AM (#71402)
Subject: Riveted or Welded Hulls ?

I asked this question in the General Forum yesterday, but did not get many responses, so I am re-asking it here:

Looking for a boat. Every salesman tells me their boat is the best

So what would be better in aluminums ? Riveted or Welded hulls ?

Cordially,

MK

Posted 5/28/2003 10:41 PM (#71648 - in reply to #71402)
Subject: RE: Riveted or Welded Hulls ?

I had a 1991 16 ft Crestliner Fish Hawk welded hull and would still have it if it weren't for a storm last spring. The storm broke 4 stern lines and lifted the bow lines off my dock. The only thing holding it was the battery charger extension cord. It was on the rocks for 7 hours in 3- 4 foot waves. The hull was not punctured but it looked like someone hit it 10,000 times with a pinball hammer and the lower unit was mangeled. The starboard hull was pushed in about a half inch at the transom so that it acted like a trim tab and made the boat turn to port and the engine cavitated so bad it had to be put all the way down. It was totaled out but refused to sink. I also have a 70's vintage fisher 14 jonboat and spend some time every other year fiving rivet leaks. GB
mikie
Posted 5/29/2003 2:01 PM (#71716 - in reply to #71648)

OK, try www.iboats.com. On their message boards section, type in key words like 'rivets' or 'leaking rivets" and you'll get a thorough discussion of the topic. Lots of stuff, check it out. m
GregM
Posted 6/8/2003 7:19 AM (#72583 - in reply to #71402)

I get asked this question a lot, having both Crestliner (welded) and Lund (riveted) at the same facility.
My answer is usaully tastes great..less filling, ford...chevy.....

Both are rugged, both companies stand behind them, I would look at the layout of the boat for the way you fish, not the way it is constructed.

I've heard it all too between manufacturer reps:
planes are riveted, must be good........planes don't float

welded boat's floor screws will keep "unscrewing" due to less flex in the hull and a harder ride........riveted boat floors are riveted down..how do you know??

The battle will continue and we can debate it until we are blue in the face....bottomline, they both work, they both have had their issues.
Jay
Posted 6/9/2003 12:44 PM (#72708 - in reply to #71402)

My first boat which, I bought used, was an '82 Alumacraft Backtroller which is a riveted hull. When I bought it it was 12 years old and had two previous owners which took very good care of it. Even as hard as I pushed it it never had one leaking rivet on it.
I now am the second owner of a 2001 Crestliner Fishhawk which the previous owner didn't exactly baby but am very happy with.
I think you would be happy either way as long as it fits your budget and you get an interior layout that works for you.

Jay
Lake Shelbyville Muskie Club
and
Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail www.illmuskie.com
Tyler Campbell
Posted 6/11/2003 12:34 AM (#72866 - in reply to #71402)

I'd have to agree with Jay. Go with layout rather than riveted or welded. I had a Lund that saw some rough water on Erie, and was always dry as a bone. There are pros and cons to each that I don't feel matter as much as the layout and fishability.

I would say I have a preference for Crestliners and Lunds though, and would focus on those. They just seem to be better built. I've never been in an Alumacraft though, so I can't comment on them.

Good fishin',

Tyler Campbell

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)