Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Muskies suck....right now.

Message Subject: Muskies suck....right now.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/3/2015 3:19 PM (#778926)
Subject: Muskies suck....right now.

Wow, what a tough few weeks for me. Fishing in northern MN has all but shut down for me. I was on Leech for 2 days, moonrise/set coinciding almost perfect with sunrise/set. Nasty storms coming through Sunday morning, barometer dropping off the table. Pre frontal conditions....what more could a guy ask for?!?!?! Just had to vent. Anyone else experiencing tougher that normal fishing with good weather conditions??? For my sanity, I hope so.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan 8/3/2015 4:53 PM
mnmusky
Posted 8/3/2015 3:37 PM (#778928 - in reply to #778926)
Subject: Re: Muskies suck....right now.

It's just you Pat. We're all getting 50's every 3rd cast and can't even troll 20 feet b4 were hooked up here in the metro. Haha.
July temps were tough. Hope the cooler nights coming activate them.
Jeremy
Posted 8/3/2015 3:45 PM (#778930 - in reply to #778926)

I just spent 3 wks on the V and only hooked once...and lost her on the shake!

Did amazingly well last year...

Edited by Jeremy 8/3/2015 3:46 PM
jaultman
Posted 8/3/2015 4:09 PM (#778933 - in reply to #778926)

Maybe I should be glad that I haven't gotten out much lately...
Cloud7
Posted 8/3/2015 4:09 PM (#778934 - in reply to #778926)

Boys I got bad news for you all... It's just you. I'm not trying to sound harsh, I myself am included in the frusterated group of anglers having a hard time, but it's the reality of our situation. Every week I talk to anglers and for every few that are struggling there's those individuals who keep up with the curve and figure out a pattern to have great days on all waters.
Last week on Vermilion I know I heard about a morning bite where one angler went 5 for 6 including a couple 50's. In the last two days in the metro I have buddies who just had multiple fish days in the east and wes metro. I also had buddies up on Leech/Cass and surrounding waters this last week who both boated multiple upper 40 inch fish.

July and the "Dog days of Summer" can be a tough time, but the muskies don't "shut down", their metabolisms actually speed up with the warmer water temps so in theory they have to eat. It's just that their habits will change where our A Priori - logic of fishing won't change in time with them.

I tend to fish weed edges more than anything, and one particular night we weren't moving anything until we moved off the weed edge and started throwing plastics in 26ft of open water (out of my comfort zone) off of our usual structure, and moved 4 fish in a half hour.

This last weekend I noticed that all my shoreline spots in the Hayward area weren't holding responsive fish, but I moved out to mid-lake humps and moved 6 fish in two hours, two that could have been figure 8'd but the girl in my boat that moved them was using a phantom on a shorter rod and not very experienced with figure 8's and reading the fish.

Keep at'em boys. Trying new tactics and time on the water cures all.

-C7
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/3/2015 4:38 PM (#778940 - in reply to #778926)

No doubt in my mind that if you have enough guys on the water, someone is going to have a good day and stick some fish. I'm not one of those guys who's afraid to try new things and get out of my comfort zone, but when you have the weather we've had the last few days, it just get's frustrating when NOTHING happens. You can't be in two places at once and you pick your spots based on previous experiences and hope for the best. It is what it is....but man, my head hurts from banging it against the wall! I'm headed out again tonight to give it a shot. At least with cooler temps the bugs won't be bad!
Ridgeback Hollow
Posted 8/3/2015 4:49 PM (#778941 - in reply to #778940)

At least you're getting to fish, it's so hot here that even the bluegills are half cooked by the time you lift them out of the water.
RJ_692
Posted 8/4/2015 8:22 AM (#779019 - in reply to #778926)

it gets frustrating for all...but that's part of the game.

look at any muskie tournament and pencil out time on the water / fish. or the number of fishless participants / day. these are guys that are paying to fish and are generally above average on good water.

there is always a continuous stream of good reports because the information network is so large. but don't let that fool you...its still a tough game, especially with the pressure many lakes are seeing over the past several years.
Musky952
Posted 8/4/2015 10:57 AM (#779044 - in reply to #778926)

I have been having a slow start this summer as well. Not very many follows and only one fish this year. On a good note the one fish I got was a 45 on a figure 8. Very aggressive fish. I think as we start coming into fall the fish are going to turn on and we are going to have a good year.
ImpactFishing
Posted 8/4/2015 2:31 PM (#779073 - in reply to #778926)

try burning small bucktails. Very effective tactic for me when the water warms up
Wblineman
Posted 8/7/2015 2:04 PM (#779541 - in reply to #778926)

Speaking of fall, does anyone know if there's a good bite in fall for hybrids ?
swanezy
Posted 8/8/2015 4:07 PM (#779646 - in reply to #778926)

I can't believe people in Minnesota are complaining about musky fishing. We have about 3 lakes around here that are actually decent and we still need to drive an hour for each
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/8/2015 4:48 PM (#779650 - in reply to #778926)

Swanezy......there is a big difference between complaining and frustrated. And just because I live in MN doesn't mean I have immediate access, or time, for the big name lakes. Yes, I fish Leech a fair amount, but that doesn't just spit fish out all the time. It's a LARGE body of water that can be a menace to figure out. But don't worry, I've figured them out the last week so I'll stop my complaining.
redfinjim
Posted 8/8/2015 5:59 PM (#779656 - in reply to #778926)

Read Ramsell's book about "Big George" by Bill Tutt. The rougher the weather the bigger the musky that prowl....there are several other stories like this in his book. Just sayin'...stormy weather runs the fishermen off before it does the really big musky's....
Sidejack
Posted 8/10/2015 5:43 PM (#779837 - in reply to #779650)

Complain all ya want Pat, but remember..
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
That's why they call it fishing and not catching.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day ______ing.
Shoulda been here yesterday.
10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.
No charge for the pep-talk but if ya wanna share the pattern you figured out, feel free to pm.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(I Concur.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments I Concur.jpg (19KB - 157 downloads)
Masqui-ninja
Posted 8/10/2015 9:08 PM (#779864 - in reply to #779837)

^^Yep. You can't catch 'em laying on the couch.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 8/11/2015 12:33 PM (#779943 - in reply to #778926)

Sidejack, sent you a PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)