Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> pov video rookie needs help

Message Subject: pov video rookie needs help
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/7/2015 2:04 AM (#775151)
Subject: pov video rookie needs help

I am heading to Alaska in a couple weeks and my 6 year old(ancient) panisonic mini DV video camera is no longer holding a charge. While I like the old school camera for being able to see the screen/image, it really is less than practical in fishing situations and has gotten spot duty at best over the past several years. Lots of musky fights/catches have been captured just in time to grab the net...

I'm in need of a good setup for my trip so I can capture some of the fishing trips and outdoor 'moments' with the family, while there. My question is: Is there a good option that has the best of both worlds ie good for doing the sight-seeing family video-taping, along with pov type fishing situations? I like the fact that I could zoom in with my older camera, and see what I was looking at. Do I need two cameras for the two types of taping or will the Go-Pro types cover it all? Can I zoom with them?

Knowing I'd like the Go Pro type for many of our outdoor activities, I'd like to purchase a package that will be enough to satisfy my needs for the trip. If you have experience with these units and can suggest the model, number/type of batteries, storage, mounts etc, I'd greatly appreciate it. If I take a laptop along, is there a certain software I need to edit/save/make room on the memory cards? I read about these units a great deal, but actual user recomendations trump the product description/suggestions every time. Feel free to drop an email at [email protected] or call me if you don't want to type it all here.

Thanks much in advance,

Jason
timhutson1
Posted 7/7/2015 5:26 PM (#775267 - in reply to #775151)
Subject: RE: pov video rookie needs help

I am unaware of any way to truly zoo in using a gopro camera. The hero 4 silver edition does have a built in rear touch screen which makes navigating options and such easier in addition to being able to see what you are recording. Not sure if it would suit the bill for how you want to use it. I would go somewhere that has a display and spend some time playing around with it.
Farmer Rick
Posted 7/8/2015 7:20 AM (#775334 - in reply to #775151)
Subject: Re: pov video rookie needs help

You can control the newer go pros from your smartphone and see what is on the screen. It's a live view blu tooth connection. Works well but eats the battery up. Once I get the camera set up where I want it I turn the blu tooth off to conserve power. You can even turn camera on and off with the phone.
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/10/2015 1:42 PM (#775740 - in reply to #775151)

Thank you. I'm considering the go pro silver4, as it has the lcd screen. I checked a couple reviews and folks were saying the battery only decreased by 15 minutes with the screen on vs off. I need to research the batteries/accessories to get with it. Anyone with any insight into better or worse mounts, battery kits, etc please advise. In terms of zoom, I'll likely just use my phone for roadside video taping up there where I need to zoom in on a moose or out of place tourists..
sworrall
Posted 7/10/2015 1:47 PM (#775741 - in reply to #775151)
Subject: Re: pov video rookie needs help

Look at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Blusmart-SJ4000-Sports-degree-Recorder/dp/B00...

REALLY good quality, still image time function, loop record, a mess of settings you will use, and more. We are using 4 right now. You can hook it to a USB charge pack and it will record while hooked up, too.
ToothTamer
Posted 7/10/2015 1:54 PM (#775744 - in reply to #775740)

Reef Hawg - 7/10/2015 1:42 PM

Thank you. I'm considering the go pro silver4, as it has the lcd screen. I checked a couple reviews and folks were saying the battery only decreased by 15 minutes with the screen on vs off. I need to research the batteries/accessories to get with it. Anyone with any insight into better or worse mounts, battery kits, etc please advise. In terms of zoom, I'll likely just use my phone for roadside video taping up there where I need to zoom in on a moose or out of place tourists..

not worth the extra money for the lcd screen in my opinion your phone can do the exact same thing via the app save some money and battery life.

Mounts
i have a slew of mounts but i use the handle bar mount on a painters pole and head mount the most. Chest mount is useless while fishing it grabs to much camera view of the reel and will loose some footage using it. Theres a million mounting options but those are the two i use.

Batteries
Wasabi battery kit comes with 2 batts and a charger which is nice to have
smatree has a kit identical to it and its just as good both worthy purchases
I own the gopro battery backpack which is also nice but once it dies on the water you need to change out the back cover for standard batterys.

Other odds and end
I would order a gopro stick on floaty also i own 3 of them and they can be life savers i have dropped my camera in the lake before.
Also i ordered aluminum gopro hardware all my hardware is no longer plastic #*#* i use aluminum screws and mounts to be safe that i ordered from china.
You will also want a polarizer i like the easy cheap ones i have a Polar Pro polarizer clip on lense and it was worth the money. There are nicer ones out there but require you to switch out the front lense mounting screws. For what we all do the polar pro should do just fine.

Get yourself a really good 64gb sd card also don't mess around with 32 it fills up to quick.
ToothTamer
Posted 7/10/2015 2:05 PM (#775746 - in reply to #775151)

And when all else Fails get one of these
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/15/2015 12:23 PM (#776392 - in reply to #775151)

Thanks for the recomendations guys. Just looking at picking up a case for the new camera, and an accessory kit including some of those mentioned above. Cheers.

J
Reef Hawg
Posted 7/20/2015 12:55 PM (#776979 - in reply to #775151)

Any recomendations on favorite settings for your GoPro? I picked up the Hero4 Silver and have it set to narrow 1080 right now. Can video settings be changed on the fly? Looks as though I'll need to set the photo settings at 7MP to get a narrower view too. Now that I don't like the superwide view, just not used to having to be within a foot of a subject to get a close-up. I haven't tested it much yet, just received the mounts, extra batteries etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)