Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Why is northern WI economy struggling?

Message Subject: Why is northern WI economy struggling?
Commanche Jim
Posted 4/21/2003 7:25 AM (#67516 - in reply to #67196)
Subject: RE: Why is northern WI economy struggling?

Who cares if these tournies fold......what's more important, a tourney, or the fishery? Some tournies are run properly, and obviously others aren't. Remember why so many world record fish were disqualified? Tournies.......filling bellies with lead and sand in order to win $100. Remember why so many fish were kept? Proof for those silly little tournies!
I've fished the PMTT and the Twin Cities Int'l up in the Walker area. The Walker area tourney is based on HONESTY! You catch a fish, take a picture of it with a digital or a disposable, and release it, just like you would with any other muskie you catch. HONOR SYSTEM! Minnesota doesn't have a problem with that. It used to be that another boat had to come over and witness the catch......no witness, no catch. That's why we have ship to shore radios. But tourney officials thought the fish's well being was more important than transporting it around so someone could have a shot at winning a gift certificate or a boat. GOOD FOR THEM!!!!! THAT'S GREAT MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
PMTT.........Ship to shore radio........call it in, leave the fish in the net, let an official measure it, and sayonarra! GOOD MANAGEMENT!!!!!
Let everyone in these HOBAG, or whatever tournies you guys are talking about, get a ship to shore. Money isn't an issue........if they have $$$ to enter the tourney, they have $$$$ to get a radio. If not, then don't let em enter.
MRoberts
Posted 4/21/2003 9:21 AM (#67529 - in reply to #67513)

Steve, all I know is what DNR personnel have been saying. At the February meeting with the DNR and guides and businesses DNR personnel specifically said that. This rule would not affect water release tourneys and that tourney officials could set the size limit at whatever they wanted as long as the fish weren’t transported. They could be held in the net at the side of the boat until an official comes to you then the fish is placed on a bump board measured and released right there. Don’t know if this would be clarified with the tourney permit or what, but that is what the DNR was stating time and time again.

Rollie and Helen’s was for this and they run three tourneys on waters that would have gone to 50”. They chose to believe the DNR.

Again they didn’t do a good job of educating the public to that info.

I never said you where against this and if you reread the end of my post you will see that I specifically stated that EDUCATION is the key to this issue. The proposal was beat soundly because of lack of education. And your right we can’t do anything about that now, other than prepare better the next time it comes around.

However we can stamp up and down about people trying to make money off this resource who purposely spread disinformation for there own benefit. Specifically that the Hayward area resorts where against this and that Terry M. fisheries biologist was against this, when he was for it and doesn’t remember telling anyone he was ever against it. There wasn’t a single no vote in at the Sawyer County meeting. That shows they where for it, what better proof can you ask for.

As far as the fish that died in the Pelican WMT, it is very possible that they wouldn’t have died in the 78+ degree water if they had been measured at the side of the boat rather than hauled across the lake to the registration point. Could they have died anyway, yes. Would they have a better chance if not transported yes.

Nail a Pig!

Mike
sworrall
Posted 4/21/2003 11:42 AM (#67546 - in reply to #67529)

Rollie and Helen's has been pretty progressive on the tourney scene for a long time. Good to hear they supported the change.

We pretty much agree.

Most of what I said in my last post wasn't directed at you, it was directed to everyone reading the thread. I certainly didn't want anyone to think I was supporting the arguments used by those opposed, and at the same time I wanted to be sure to let folks know that I feel changing minds is best accomplished with measured reason based on a clear understanding of the opposing viewpoint..

Maybe I am all wet, but that is what I have seen work well in the past.

Usually, calls for 'boycotts' and similar actions lack the punch to get anything done long term, and serve best to allow the person calling for action to vent frustration. I'm NOT being critical of ANYONE, I'm simply doing my best to be realistic.

Goes back to finding the root of the objection so it can be addressed, an old method, but an effective one. Ask the question patiently and non-confrontationally:

'Obviously you have a good reason for feeling that way, may I ask you what that might be?'

If no one asks, no one will get to the core issues and get them changed.

Politics suck.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)