Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Genetics

Message Subject: Genetics
Bob
Posted 11/1/2004 6:16 PM (#123555 - in reply to #123524)
Subject: RE: Genetics

sworrall - 11/1/2004 2:26 PM

Bob,
Thanks for the answers. OK, let me get this straight.

1) You are suggesting that Wisconsin strips spawn only from 'young' fish of trophy stature. Is that correct?
Reply - Close. I'd say fish that are above the typical growth curve. I'm stting the bar at 50" and 10 years old. 55inchers of any age will be milked. Realistically, I'd suggest starting immediately, no females under 45" be milked, and no males under 37". This should be done whether or not we have a new brood stock lake, but the 45" and 37" size are too small for the "super brood lake".

2) You suggest we have a brood lake to do this from. How does the state accomplish that? What lake? Where do the fish come from to stock this lake or does this lake already exist? What about the muskies already IN that lake, wouldn't they interbreed if we are to 'create' the strain were looking for? Which hatchery would raise the fish?

Reply: We have many lakes to choose from. Over here I like the Chetek chain and Long Lake north of here. Both lakes with no muskies - or virtually none. This is probably the biggest hurdle - politically. I think we should choose alake with very few or no muskies. The fish will come from BIG Muskies netted from Grindstone Lake, Chippewa Flowage, LCO, Wisconsin River, Pelican Lake, etc. I will accept DNR input if they don't want to cross fish from the Chippewa and Wisconsin river drainages. We will use the same hatchery as we are using now for the bone lake fish. Same in NE Wisconsin if we have to divide it by drainage.

3) You are stating that a 1 in 3 kill ratio of the biggest fish caught by angling from any particular lake will cause accelerated evolution?
From small Lakes - Yes without a doubt. From large lakes - Yes with only a little doubt. If we do have 99% release, the harvest rate on fish with good Genes is 33 Times higher than the fish with small genes. MY ANSWER TO THIS IS YES!!!!!!

4) You feel that with the budget the DNR has today they could radically alter the muskie stocking program, and that the idea would be accepted by the CC and the area fish managers? That stripping spawn from one lake would give the state enough muskies to stock at the rate they do currently?

Reply: If the DNR is catching large fish today, I don't feel there will be any add'l cost. Personally I feel they are not catching large fish today. For that reason they will need to tweak their current netting program and this will be the only change in costs. I feel that they will need larger nets. I also believe MI clubs will band together and build/buy these nets if requested. I believe that they will need to net different lakes than Bone -but they already net lakes like Grindstone etc. already. If they need assistance in checking nets, I suggest they ask MI clubs for assistance. There will be no change in costs after eggs/milt are gathered. NONE. My understandin is that the biggest cost is raising the fish not netting them.

4) You feel Leech Lake strain would be successful anywhere they are stocked and grow to trophy sizes? Same applies to Wisconsin strains that grow fast and get big? Didn't some Illinois waters get stocked with that strain and the project failed? I remember something about that, any insight form someone familiar with what happened there?

Reply I'd prefer to stay out of the strain discussion - Let me say that if we are taking eggs from 37" Leech fish that are the same age as 37" Wisconsin fish, I believe they will end up at the same size. The 5 year old 47.5 inch fish was grown in Illinois and was from Leech stock. I thinl it would be easier to take Leech or Great Lakes fish, but I think we can achieve the same results - and eventually better by singling out the largets fish of ANY strain.

4) You feel that forage, water quality, chemistry, and all the other environmental factors that make up the waters you would have the fish stocked in would not effect maximum size or growth rates? Or are you saying that all things equal no matter how infertile the system, that one strain from Northern Wisconsin will out do another and grow to trophy size?

Reply - I feel that forage and the environmental factors are secondary to genetics. I believe that a fish with 55" genes will grow to 57" in Mille LACs with unlimited forage and 53" in the Tiger cat Flowage where food is sparse. These fish will differ more in weight than in length. If you believe the World records, I'd say that Wisconsin is the best strain. If you don't believe the records, I still say there were way more 52" plus fish in the old days. I'm saying I don't care - we'll get bigger fish either way.

5) You do not think that offspring from 50" fish would all reach 50". I stand corrected. How much of an effect would your plan actually have on the lake's total population assuming stockings of perhaps 1 fish per acre every other year that are added to the naturally reproducing population already in place? How would they differ? Should those fish that are not 'superior' and do NOT reach trophy size from the stocked fish be allowed to breed, and how would that be checked? How much a percentage of the adults stocked reaching trophy size is acceptable?

Reply - this will depend on the natural reproduction in the individual lakes. You credit a lot of your big fish to DNR stocking. I truly believe thaat you will be catching, more big fish in 6 years. I truly believe that 10 years after we start this I will never need to fish in Minnesota again. We cannot control breeding other than in our "brood lake".
I believe 100% of the female muskie that is stocked from the eggs of a 10 year old 50 inch female will reach 50 inches by age 20 - regardless of where we stock them. This should be our goal.

6) Are you suggesting that all fish are aged before stripping them for spawn?

reply: If it is possible - yes. absolutely. If not we need to focus on the largest fish. I could ramble on about Isolating, the fat and stupid genes too, but that is best done over a few beers.

7) Are you going to answer the continuous question that I asked:
Why does the same stocked fish, from the same lake, stripped during the same spring, raised at the same hatchery, grow to 50" in one lake, and only low 40" class in others?

reply) tough question. It'd be easier if we had no big fish in WI, but we do. Too many variables to say for sure, but with better fish stocked you will be asking why they grow to 57" in one lake and only low 50" in the other.

8) Where are the biggest, fastest growing fish in Wisconsin? What lakes should we use for stripping spawn? What strain are these fish, and how do they differ genetically from fish in 'other' areas? Shoepac aside, that one is out of the discussion for obvious reasons and is a Minnesota strain anyway.

Reply) I've seen evidence of large fast growing fish in the Chip (the "Jaws" were from a 58" fish that was around 15 years old. if I remember right). Certainly the 50" lakes in Haywardare good places to start. The Wisconsin river stands out as well.

9) How many muskies do you suppose the Wisconsin DNR stocks per year?

Reply) don't know. But I don't think we need more muskies. Just Bigger Muskies. Minnesota and Ontario need bigger Muskies too. I'll state this again- places like Eagle Lake, LOTW, Wabigoon and Lac Seul had the biggest harvest of the biggest Muskies in the early days - and the biggest fish never came back(to the extent they were there before harvest. I know some people like to say that all the big fish from the old days were "bogus". I'm starting to be convinced that this is not the case.
Back on the topic - I'm seeing no change here in the numbers of fish stocked - the only change is the fish we take the eggs from. If we have budget issues (and I'm sure we do) all this becomes more important, not less. Bigger fish are better breeders(Uh-Oh that's a whole different can of worms) and stocking better fish will let us rely less on stocking.

OK, that will do for questions for now.

Answers:
We BOTH agree with some Wisconsin fisheries folks that there should be lakes in Wisconsin that are trophy only or at least managed for trophy fish. I'd like to see 54", but we couldn't pass FIFTY on LIMITED water, for cripes sake. I won't ignore the social and political reality here, and I'm baffled why you think you can. THE 50" PROPOSAL CAN PASS, but it will take a temendous amount of PR work.

Reply) The political troubles are why we should pursue selective breeding - no one will care if we change how we get our eggs.

The Wisconsin State budget stinks. Money is really tight. What I was saying and am saying is that your proposal for a new brood stock lake if one follows the parameters you laid out from the beginning for management practices of 'trophy only' muskies would cost extra money. I have contacted three biologists from the state and will report back with what I'm told.

Reply) Please provide details on costs. I can't deal with "It would cost too much." That's what drew the "BS" remark. Finding the Brood stock lake is the hardest thing.

FSF said it well. Re-read his post, it's pretty well presented, in my opinion.

I'll go back and look.

No problem with the BS comment, but your answers didn't explain why my ideas were BS, they simply offered a different perspective with little information as to how it would be executed and attain what you are looking for. I'll refrain from calling your ideas BS if you will refrain from caling mine BS, deal?
;)

Reply - I agree, I appreciate the debate as it helps to fine-tune my argument.
Bob
Posted 11/1/2004 6:39 PM (#123558 - in reply to #121481)

Steve - I really appreciate the info from the DNR. I do object to some of the responses. Regarding genetic evolution as easy to create in a Lab??? It happens in the ATLANTIC OCEAN!!!!!!! And quickly.

As far as their trial of others strains - I'd love to debate that one, but won't do it on a website. maybe we can hook up and talk to the DNR about this sometime. I think you may be surprised. Can you get any information on the size structure of the Great Lakes Muskies in the brood lake over there? Let's compare those to Bone Lake fish.

You need to balance the questions better. Asking the same questions, get the same answers. These guy's work for the government so they give politically correct answers.

Please ask these questions of each DNR guy you talk to:
1. Do all muskies in the same lake exhibit the same growth rate?
2. Do you feel that eggs from a 10 year old 50 inch female will produce larger offspring (as adults) than a 10 year old 40 inch female?
3. Which of these two fish is more likely to get harvested and will contribute to the gene pool for a shorter period of time?
Bob
Posted 11/1/2004 7:40 PM (#123566 - in reply to #121481)

Steve - please note that the DNR did not answer your question about whether stocking Spotted Muskies will produce larger Muskies. (politics)

It also seems as though they feel harvest of large fish is a real problem. But then they state that there is no effect? Interesting.....but I don't buy it.

Also - they suggest that they currently take spawn from varying age groups? Do they age them in the field today?

Do they take records of the different sizes, sytems and Age groups as they state? Can I see those records? If they don't take records - How DO They Know This? Do they assume big fish are old and all small fish are young like we did in the 1920's?

Yes, I always have more questions - and again I appreciate your answers. THANKS!!!!!
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2004 7:53 PM (#123569 - in reply to #123555)

Thanks, sir. A preliminary response, before I run all this past the gentleman I intend to interview tomorrow. We'll see how close I am to the mark, I guess!

a)
1) You are suggesting that Wisconsin strips spawn only from 'young' fish of trophy stature. Is that correct?
Reply - Close. I'd say fish that are above the typical growth curve. I'm stting the bar at 50" and 10 years old. 55inchers of any age will be milked. Realistically, I'd suggest starting immediately, no females under 45" be milked, and no males under 37". This should be done whether or not we have a new brood stock lake, but the 45" and 37" size are too small for the "super brood lake".
Question) Where is the DNR to find the fish you seek? How does the DNR identify the fish which is above the average gorwth curve? How does the DNR age the fish on the spot? Are you saying that a viable 44" fish from water that produces 50" plus fish through natural reproduction is not going to pass those genetic traits on? If you are saying that, please provide some sort of existibng scientific literature that will support that idea.

b)
2) You suggest we have a brood lake to do this from. How does the state accomplish that? What lake? Where do the fish come from to stock this lake or does this lake already exist? What about the muskies already IN that lake, wouldn't they interbreed if we are to 'create' the strain were looking for? Which hatchery would raise the fish?

Reply: We have many lakes to choose from. Over here I like the Chetek chain and Long Lake north of here. Both lakes with no muskies - or virtually none. This is probably the biggest hurdle - politically. I think we should choose alake with very few or no muskies. The fish will come from BIG Muskies netted from Grindstone Lake, Chippewa Flowage, LCO, Wisconsin River, Pelican Lake, etc. I will accept DNR input if they don't want to cross fish from the Chippewa and Wisconsin river drainages. We will use the same hatchery as we are using now for the bone lake fish. Same in NE Wisconsin if we have to divide it by drainage.
Q) Why are the lakes you have mentioned not currently managed for Muskies?
Q) It takes more than one facility and way more than one source of spawn to meet current management goals, how would you provide a large enough supply from one hatchery and only fish 45" or larger?

c)
3) You are stating that a 1 in 3 kill ratio of the biggest fish caught by angling from any particular lake will cause accelerated evolution?
From small Lakes - Yes without a doubt. From large lakes - Yes with only a little doubt. If we do have 99% release, the harvest rate on fish with good Genes is 33 Times higher than the fish with small genes. MY ANSWER TO THIS IS YES!!!!!!
Answer) The DNR folks I spoke to today are very aware of the concept, but do not feel what you are saying is at all accurate. I'll go with their assessment at this point. Maybe the States lead Muskie manager will shed new light on this subject tomorrow or Wednesday.

d)
4) You feel that with the budget the DNR has today they could radically alter the muskie stocking program, and that the idea would be accepted by the CC and the area fish managers? That stripping spawn from one lake would give the state enough muskies to stock at the rate they do currently?

Reply: If the DNR is catching large fish today, I don't feel there will be any add'l cost. Personally I feel they are not catching large fish today. For that reason they will need to tweak their current netting program and this will be the only change in costs. I feel that they will need larger nets. I also believe MI clubs will band together and build/buy these nets if requested. I believe that they will need to net different lakes than Bone -but they already net lakes like Grindstone etc. already. If they need assistance in checking nets, I suggest they ask MI clubs for assistance. There will be no change in costs after eggs/milt are gathered. NONE. My understandin is that the biggest cost is raising the fish not netting them.
Q) Why would the net need to be larger? Fyke nets employ a 'lead' that is placed in the water out from the net like a fence. The muskies contact and then swim along the lead through a series of 'funnels' into the last bag on the net. Some actually get 'trapped' in the first. The net size doesn't have anything to do with the size or quality of the fish captured, to my knowledge. I'm absolutely certain the DNR will not allow just anyone to strip muskies, or work on a netting crew. I'm also absolutely certain that the DNR IS netting, stripping, and raising muskies from large fish, just not exclusively so. Why is that a bad thing to do?

e)
4) You feel that forage, water quality, chemistry, and all the other environmental factors that make up the waters you would have the fish stocked in would not effect maximum size or growth rates? Or are you saying that all things equal no matter how infertile the system, that one strain from Northern Wisconsin will out do another and grow to trophy size?

Reply - I feel that forage and the environmental factors are secondary to genetics. I believe that a fish with 55" genes will grow to 57" in Mille LACs with unlimited forage and 53" in the Tiger cat Flowage where food is sparse. These fish will differ more in weight than in length. If you believe the World records, I'd say that Wisconsin is the best strain. If you don't believe the records, I still say there were way more 52" plus fish in the old days. I'm saying I don't care - we'll get bigger fish either way.

The fisheries folks I talked to today spoke more of harvest VS CPR to grow big fish where they can be grown, and that some systems plane will not support big fish, or produce fish over 48" much less 53". The statement was 'There is nothing wrong with the genetics of the fish we are stocking today'. They tried Leech Lake fish, and those attemts to have a population successfully 'take' failed here. OK, that one seems to be setteled.

f)
5) You do not think that offspring from 50" fish would all reach 50". I stand corrected. How much of an effect would your plan actually have on the lake's total population assuming stockings of perhaps 1 fish per acre every other year that are added to the naturally reproducing population already in place? How would they differ? Should those fish that are not 'superior' and do NOT reach trophy size from the stocked fish be allowed to breed, and how would that be checked? How much a percentage of the adults stocked reaching trophy size is acceptable?

Reply - this will depend on the natural reproduction in the individual lakes. You credit a lot of your big fish to DNR stocking. I truly believe thaat you will be catching, more big fish in 6 years. I truly believe that 10 years after we start this I will never need to fish in Minnesota again. We cannot control breeding other than in our "brood lake".
I believe 100% of the female muskie that is stocked from the eggs of a 10 year old 50 inch female will reach 50 inches by age 20 - regardless of where we stock them. This should be our goal.
Q) So you are saying that our lakes should all be 'put and take'only? there's no way to stop the inbreeding of fish already in the stocked system, and natural selection may work against your superfish in some systems. What about those points?

f)
6) Are you suggesting that all fish are aged before stripping them for spawn?

reply: If it is possible - yes. absolutely. If not we need to focus on the largest fish. I could ramble on about Isolating, the fat and stupid genes too, but that is best done over a few beers.
Q) Fat and stupid genes? Talking mammals here, I presume. I am assured that aging the fish on the boat at the time they are being stripped would not be possible. I'll check this with the Biologist tomorrow or Wednesday.

g)
7) Are you going to answer the continuous question that I asked:
Why does the same stocked fish, from the same lake, stripped during the same spring, raised at the same hatchery, grow to 50" in one lake, and only low 40" class in others?

reply) tough question. It'd be easier if we had no big fish in WI, but we do. Too many variables to say for sure, but with better fish stocked you will be asking why they grow to 57" in one lake and only low 50" in the other.
Comment: I am absolutely certain this isn't going to be proven to be fact. If I'm wrong, I'll owe you a steak dinner! I'm betting I'm not.

h)
8) Where are the biggest, fastest growing fish in Wisconsin? What lakes should we use for stripping spawn? What strain are these fish, and how do they differ genetically from fish in 'other' areas? Shoepac aside, that one is out of the discussion for obvious reasons and is a Minnesota strain anyway.

Reply) I've seen evidence of large fast growing fish in the Chip (the "Jaws" were from a 58" fish that was around 15 years old. if I remember right). Certainly the 50" lakes in Hayward are good places to start. The Wisconsin river stands out as well.

Q) Why are there no fish caught in the Chip like the one the 'jaws' were recovered from? Where are they, why are they not fyke netted or caught or shocked?

i)
We BOTH agree with some Wisconsin fisheries folks that there should be lakes in Wisconsin that are trophy only or at least managed for trophy fish. I'd like to see 54", but we couldn't pass FIFTY on LIMITED water, for cripes sake. I won't ignore the social and political reality here, and I'm baffled why you think you can. THE 50" PROPOSAL CAN PASS, but it will take a temendous amount of PR work.

Reply) The political troubles are why we should pursue selective breeding - no one will care if we change how we get our eggs

Q) If the limit is not raised to over 50", and the fish you stock are harvested in a 1 to 3 ratio (I disagree, we'll see what the lead biologist thinks), by your own claim this entire project will collapse due to accelerated evolution and natural selection. You had BETTER be ready for tremendous resistance and a very rough road with the Conservation Congress to educate the general public as to why we need to do ANYTHING other than what we are doing. How long does it normally take to get a proposal from the public on the Conservation Congress ballot? First things first, get the limit on trophy waters to 50" maybe?

OK, last:
FSF said it well. Re-read his post, it's pretty well presented, in my opinion.

Comment: Yup. Answers most of the direct concerns pretty well.

sworrall
Posted 11/1/2004 8:08 PM (#123573 - in reply to #123566)

Steve - please note that the DNR did not answer your question about whether stocking Spotted Muskies will produce larger Muskies. (politics)

It also seems as though they feel harvest of large fish is a real problem. But then they state that there is no effect? Interesting.....but I don't buy it.

Also - they suggest that they currently take spawn from varying age groups? Do they age them in the field today?

Do they take records of the different sizes, sytems and Age groups as they state? Can I see those records? If they don't take records - How DO They Know This? Do they assume big fish are old and all small fish are young like we did in the 1920's?

Yes, I always have more questions - and again I appreciate your answers. THANKS!!!!!

1) Yes they did. He clearly said that they tried the Leech Lake strain and that the attempts failed.

2)Actually, he said that they were aware of the biology behind accelerated evolution and take the necessary steps to guarantee genetic stability in the stocking and management programs. He did say he felt there was no evolutionary acceleration in the Wisconsin Muskie fishery. They are aware of it, manage to be certain it isn't an issue, and the management folks are comfortable that it isn't.

3) They age the fish using scales taken during sampling and stripping. They also do the same in the fyke net sampling and boom shocking sampling that have to do with population estimates, and can correlate the data. I don't know where that data is kept, but it is important to the overall management program, I'm sure. More tomorrow when I talk to the biologist from up here.
Lockjaw
Posted 11/1/2004 8:09 PM (#123574 - in reply to #123387)

Steve

No. I am not crabby. If there is one thing I do not like about internet message boards its this. Too many times, too many people interpret or perceive comments in the wrong way. We have all done it at times. Its way too easy to get a negative feeling from a comment from someone when you can't talk verbally or eye to eye and especially if there is a difference of opinions. I just wanted you to either post or tell us where we could see the data you were refering to is all. No hard feelings here. I think this is one of the most important topics ever discussed on this site. The bottom line is that I am very interested in it and only want the same as the rest of us want. Better fishing, larger fish, and more of them. I'm sure we would agree on that. Bob has some very good ideas here. Its something I think we should really take a honest look at. A different strategy for stocking Wi waters could turn out to be beneficial to everyone including the money strapped DNR. We can't be so fast to just toss it aside because of the challenges that will arise. Not everything we want comes easy. Getting 50" size limits on selected waters in Wi is evidence of this. My god, if we can send people into outer space I don't understand why an idea like this should be looked upon as unrealistic and not even be considered. This is exactly the kind of thing we need and should be looking in to. New, fresh, creative and different ideas on how we can improve the muskie fishing in Wi. There has to be a better way of doing things than what we are currently doing to get the results we want and we should never quit trying to come up with better ideas.

____
I'm still Nuts about muskie fishing.
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2004 8:25 PM (#123577 - in reply to #121481)

Please ask these questions of each DNR guy you talk to:
1. Do all muskies in the same lake exhibit the same growth rate?
2. Do you feel that eggs from a 10 year old 50 inch female will produce larger offspring (as adults) than a 10 year old 40 inch female?
3. Which of these two fish is more likely to get harvested and will contribute to the gene pool for a shorter period of time?

1) I'll ask the question, but the answer is obvious. No. I'm pretty sure there isn't any organism that consistent in the fish world.
2) I'll ask that question, but perhaps you're assuming the DNR can age the fish while stripping them. I am pretty sure they can't, it's done later using scale samples from each group of fish, as I understand things.
3) The biologist answered that question today I think, but I'll ask again tomorrow. Now I have a question for you. If the limit is set at 50" on that lake after you introduce your super strain fish, wouldn't BOTH fish contribute equally and perhaps forever to the pool? if the limit ISN'T set at 50" or better, and accelerated evolution is in play as you feel it is, wouldn't the introduction of a class of fish that ENCOURAGES harvest make the problem worse?Does natural selection always favor the biggest, fastest growing critter?

This is the most fun I've had in weeks. It's fun to exercise the old grey matter.
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2004 8:30 PM (#123578 - in reply to #123577)

Lockjaw,
Agreed and I apologize, I WAS crabby.
Lockjaw
Posted 11/1/2004 8:42 PM (#123579 - in reply to #123578)

Steve

Likewise
FredJ
Posted 11/2/2004 9:04 AM (#123623 - in reply to #121481)

I am glad to see that this discussion is back to being civil. I don't think they actually were out of line but were begining to be perceived that way.

This is way to interesting and important of a topic to have it turn south and run the risk of being pulled. Bob brings up some interesting subjects that I think deserve more investigation. I have to admit that I know Bob and we have discussed some of these ideas before but not at great length.. I can assure you though that Bob has nothing but the best intentions. He is a stand up guy who wants nothing more than to have the greatest fisheries we can have.

I would encourage more people from this board to add to the discussion. There are some great fisherman here who have fished all over the country in different systems. Please add your thoughts.

muskiemachinery
Posted 11/2/2004 11:30 AM (#123644 - in reply to #121481)

The only thing my limited knowledge can contribute to this discussion is the boom/crash scenario in lakes. As discussed before an example is in the late 70's and early 80's Big and Mid McKenzie was in a boom era. The DNR stripped fish in Mid every spring because I watched them a couple of times. I have not fished there for many years because of a living location change but it sounds as if they have crashed. The fish in these lakes during the boom were very impressive. I didn't kill fish even back then but I caught a 48 incher on Big one fall that is still the heaviest 48 inch I have ever caught. (I had a picture but can't find it)The fish from the McKenzies were stocked in the lake I now fish (very pleasant coincdence) These fish are so big for their length that I have learned to automatically subtract 2 inches from estimated lengths because they have such a big girth it throws guessamates off. I caught a 53 incher on the stocked lake and it DID have the exact same markings of the 48 inch out of Big McKenzie. Should I be worried that my stocked lake may crash like McKenzie did??????? Yes I am. Don't really know if I should be because I don't understand if the genetics cause the crash or if it is the system. Wish I did know however.
Bob
Posted 11/2/2004 2:31 PM (#123675 - in reply to #121481)

Steve - I did some homework. For the record:

I can find no information related to poor success of other strains of fish. All information I can find points to other strains of fish growing faster and larger in Wisconsin than the Wisconsin strains do.

Do you or the DNR have evidence to refute this? Please provide if you do.

I did not want to take this discussion into strains of fish, but I don't want to let some of the previous dismissals of other strains pass. The DNR has told me what they tell you, but their own data tells another story. I will not take the DNR's word on any of this - I want facts.

Bob
Posted 11/2/2004 2:47 PM (#123677 - in reply to #123577)

sworrall - 11/1/2004 8:25 PM

"Now I have a question for you. If the limit is set at 50" on that lake after you introduce your super strain fish, wouldn't BOTH fish contribute equally and perhaps forever to the pool? if the limit ISN'T set at 50" or better, and accelerated evolution is in play as you feel it is, wouldn't the introduction of a class of fish that ENCOURAGES harvest make the problem worse?Does natural selection always favor the biggest, fastest growing critter?"

Steve - I Won't be able to get to everything but:

Steve - it was actually you that lead me to believe we could age fish in the field. If we can't, let's just use big fish. I still believe we can age fish in the field.

I'm glad to see we won't need new nets - I'm stating there will be no additional costs. I see questions, but if we are using the same hatcheries and producing the same number of fish (I'm ok with less fish) there should be no additional costs. We will use these fish everywhere. there is no reason not to.

When we stock muskies taken from large fish they will be able to breed with the "smaller muskies" that are in that lake - that is true. I believe we are just evening the playing field because small muskies are harvested less than big ones. More big fish will likely encourage more harvest. Let's get more big fish as we work on the harvest issues - I'm sure we are both OK with that.

I will say that if the DNR believes there is an overabundance of Muskies in any given lake, I feel they should have a maximum size limit and encourage harvest of fish in the 30-40 inch range. The BIG FISH MUST STAY. In some lakes - I would like to see a "genetic cleansing" of small fish. This may be going off the deep end, and would not be something I'd reccomend unless the selective breeding concept is proven to work in the field. Then I think it should be expanded to other species as well as possibly removing small unwanted breeders.

Bob
Posted 11/2/2004 3:31 PM (#123680 - in reply to #121481)

I'm looking for evidence of Lakes where Leech or Great Lakes strain muskies have been stocked, but rarely exceed the low 40 inch range. I cannot find such lakes. I know there are lakes with Shoepac strain that do this, but can't find evidence of Leech or great lakes fish doing this. Surely there must have been a stocking in a lake without suitable forage at least once.

Minnesota DNR - please help!!! Thanks.

Bob
Posted 11/2/2004 3:52 PM (#123684 - in reply to #123680)

MuskieMachinery - Big Mckenzie has a history of Big fish. Don't know what could have caused a collapse. your post sent me to the compendium where I see a picture of a 57 inch 60 pounder caught out of season. a few pages later I see a picture of a 55 pounder from Hunter Lake (126 acres 17 feet deep, 5 ft mean depth.) I assume Hunter is now full of 34" fish - WHAT HAPPENED???????

The whole area around Big Mac has a history of big fish (Lake 26, yellow River, etc.).....If your fish came from Big Mac a while ago, I'd try to prevent fish from anywhere else being stocked in there.

Funny - The DNR say's we should not expect to have muskies like these in Wisconsin. I say we SHOULD EXPECT NOTHING LESS!!!!!!

If we keep doing the same thing year after year, we will get the same results year after year.

Folks - you all need to go re-read the compendium with an open mind on the genetics issue.
sworrall
Posted 11/2/2004 5:56 PM (#123703 - in reply to #123684)

Bob,
Keep your shorts on. I'm interviewing the leading experts as rapidly as I can get to them, including Minnesota. You'll get facts, probably more than you want. PLEASE quit implying that the DNR here in Wisconsin is somehow not being truthful or is intentionally misleading us. I've found nothing to suggest that yet, in fact everyone I've talked to has been very forthcoming. More to come, patience, dude.
sworrall
Posted 11/2/2004 6:06 PM (#123704 - in reply to #123703)

Let's keep this conversation moderate and acquire the facts as rapidly as possible so we all can make an accurate value judgement.

This is a great subject. We'll see what the experts say very soon.
GregM
Posted 11/3/2004 11:34 AM (#123789 - in reply to #121481)

'There is nothing wrong with the genetics of the fish we are stocking today'. They tried Leech Lake fish, and those attemts to have a population successfully 'take' failed here.

Curios about this comment.

Wasnt Lake Nancy a success??

I cant remember the county but it's up in the Trego/Minong area, stocked with Leech Strain, opened to a musky season in 1997 (??)......thought growth rates were very positive.....??

Why didnt Lake Nancy "take" with Leech lake Strain fish?
sean61s
Posted 11/3/2004 11:40 AM (#123792 - in reply to #121481)

The DNR seems consistent in their view that 'big fish' genetics still exist in WI waters. If this is the case, then this is very good news. Could we get the DNR to be a bit more specific? Could they give us some observations? If the genetics still exist, then I don't think that we should bring in new genetics. We need to make sure that we preserve these genetics going forward as well with, along some of the idesa coming from Bob, spread these genetics to prospective WI waters.

Sean Murphy
MuskieBum
Posted 11/3/2004 7:27 PM (#123846 - in reply to #121481)

Like I said before. The DNR does not think in the same terms as we do. This is there job, not there passion and addiction. They really don't care whether a fish is 48" or 52". Steve they were very politically correct in your first interview, as they should be.

Do you actually think they would say that WI has poor genetics and isn't capaple of producing huge fish??? wake up here.

Steve,I commend your reserch into this, but interview someone who's job isn't tied into his statements.
sworrall
Posted 11/3/2004 7:45 PM (#123849 - in reply to #123846)

I AM interviewing the top muskie managers across the ENTIRE muskie world over the next couple months. We'll see what they agree on, and on what they differ.

I'll get the facts and post them here. This has become a personal project for me for the winter months.

I am hoping to get a few of the fisheries managers online for a chat, which I MIGHT get done if folks don't trash them out of hand in advance.

By the way, Bum, these folks work in a field that requires a substantial educational background managing a difficult resource under less than ideal circumstances, and make less than a manager at a big box store in many cases. Be careful who you bash here, please.

sworrall
Posted 11/3/2004 7:59 PM (#123851 - in reply to #123849)

sean61s,

Big fish do swim in Wisconsin waters, just not in the numbers we would like. I am asking the right questions, and will find out what there is we as sortsmen can actually do to improve the situation.

A couple years ago, Greg Bohn caught a 56.5, pretty nice fish. I got one last year from a 500 acre lake that weighed 39#, pretty nice fish. There's a bunch of 50's right here onsite from Wisconsin, two or three from Pewaukee alone.

I'll find out what the DNR thinks and why, and what they are trying to get done to improve the big fish population. I know of two things right now:
Stocking the Great Lakes Strain in selected waters.
Continuing to recommend and support larger size limits on select waters.

We'll see what else they have to say.
sean61s
Posted 11/4/2004 8:19 AM (#123891 - in reply to #121481)

Steve,

In your upcoming conversations with the DNR and others, could you please ask them:

1) What is there view on ‘slot limits’ for muskys?
2) In order to get the increased size limits passed, what needs to be done?
a) Would a signed petition speed up the process of getting this back on the ballot?
b) Can ‘out of state ‘ musky hunters have a voice in this mater?
c) What mistakes were made last time around?

Actually, so that you do not spend allot of your time and effort, and in the end, fail to ask specific questions that many of us may have, why not compile a list form users of this message board and others?

Good luck,

Sean
Muskiebum
Posted 11/4/2004 12:54 PM (#123944 - in reply to #121481)

Steve,
If you want REAL answers try to find professors who teach icthyology or retired Fisheries Biologist who indeed have a muskie addiction.

sworrall
Posted 11/4/2004 7:16 PM (#123992 - in reply to #123944)

MuskieBum, I am doing exactly that. I'll ask the questions guys.

As for the question about size limits, I asked those directly after the proposal was voted down. I called local and Madison DNR folks the next day.The DNR fisheries people I spoke with supported the proposal. The Conservation Congress vote, in most areas, didn't. The PUBLIC voted down our recent best clear chance to protect our trophy muskie waters in Wisconsin. Not the DNR, the PUBLIC. Everyone wanted to point at guides and resorts, but in actual fact, those folks were there, but were not there in enough force to project a majority. What happened was the others there who were NOT resort/Chamber of Commerce/guides against the proposal/etc listened to the commentary and voted no. In the opinion of all the DNR folks I talked to, the proposal had good merit, and could pass with the proper PR/education/promotional efforts and the required time efforts like that require were applied. I personally agree.

Regulations here are tough to change, even when those who manage the resource agree the change would be positive. In order to get the public to agree to a change on waters they use everyday, we need to carefully educate folks to the benefits to the area resulting from the regulations change.

I've always scratched my head at the Conservation Congress idea. Biologists are biologists because they spent an immense amount of time studying the subject. It somehow has always seemed ridiculous to me that the 'public' should dictate management practices based on 'tradition'. My opinion, just that.
MuskieBum
Posted 11/5/2004 1:22 PM (#124108 - in reply to #121481)

Steve, I'll agree with that
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 11/8/2004 10:25 AM (#124342 - in reply to #121481)

God I love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Many of the arguements made here for the case to improve the fishery I made 3 years ago when I started to push for slot limits. I was going to stay out of this one as I have been there with most of you and I have been there with some people from the D.N.R..
The D.N.R. will tell you its too expensive to just go after bigger fish to milk.
But they would not need as many spawners . They also told me big fish are too hard handle. How they can say that one is beyond me. They will say a slot limit is hard to enforce. I know as I've asked befor.
Now the other thing they will tell you is a slot limit won't work as the musky is a low density fish. Thats exactly why it will work and why it should be implanted with the program of milking older and bigger fish. YOU HAVE TO PROTECT THE BEST OF YOUR GENE POOL!!!!!!!!Regardless if it 10 fish in the lake or 1000.

I have said all along that what the slot will do is to protect our bigger fish. You know the ones you say the eggs should come from. However to eventually get a better population of these bigger fish you need to remove some of the smaller ones(SLOT LIMIT).

Bob benson and firstsixfeet had two great post here. I was called all kinds of names when I brought this up years ago. Got nasty calls and emails. I hope you are beginning to see why I was opposed to just a 50 inch limit on many lakes. It would not help much at all and would just keep us on the same path we are on now. We need changes and this is a conversation about it. Bob Benson, Fred hirch,Larry Ramsell and I sat down and talked about this at length.
If your not willing to go out on the limb and try something new your stuck right where we are. A good program with the fisheries and and a slot limit will achieve the goal of bigger fish. If the fish milked are used to stock they came from you'd not uset the strain in that water also if thats what your worried about. Its unfortunate but the muskie strains in wisconsin are very messed up allready We have some great lakes and we have lakes with big fish fish and the chance to improve them is there in front of you. You have to push the D.N.R. for these changes.

My last ? for you. What woke some of you up? My god when the 50 inch proposal was to be voted on I had a young guide from the hayward are tell me genetics had nothing to do with it. Now it seems we are all talking about the gene pool. I know this thread was not about slot limits but its such a valuable tool to use with an enhanced program as discussed. Please don't make this thread about slot limits as it allready enough to follow if we stay genetics

Don Pfeiffer
sean61s
Posted 11/8/2004 10:53 AM (#124344 - in reply to #121481)

Don,

I started the thread.

My wife and I did our annual Georgian Bay trip a while back with Jodi Mills. Our home lake is Big Sand Lake outside of Phelps, WI, but we know that the giants we are looking for in Georgian Bay, for the most part, do not exist anymore in WI.
Jodi and I started talking about the claims of Louis Spray. We also talked about some of the conclusions that Ramsell had made on size and age of fish on the Chippawa Flowage.

When I returned from the trip, I emailed Jodi, and stated that, technically, if giant musky Genetics are indeed gone from WI., then you could throw out the arguement, "If Spray caught them, why hasn't anyone else since?"

A day or so later, a freind of mine sent me an article on how we are altering the genetics in Cod by keeping only the large fish. I posted that article, and this thread has been off to the races ever since.

Sean Murphy
Muskiebum
Posted 11/8/2004 3:20 PM (#124384 - in reply to #121481)

What kind of slot limits would you suggests? I'm not sure killing an 8 year old 42" fish is that great of an idea? Killing a 4 year old spike horn is but we have no idea what genetics are in a fish without knowings its age. Kareem Abdul Jabar was once only 5' tall at some point it his life.

Let Em All Go and Milk The Biggest Fish.

Lockjaw
Posted 11/8/2004 4:04 PM (#124394 - in reply to #121481)

Here is some stuff to think about. Some good examples of why myself and many others feel something must be done very soon to improve our trophy fisheries in WI so this state is competitive and can influence us from travelling out of state for a respectable shot at a trophy fish. I would much rather stay and fish right here in WI if we had opportunities like MN has. But we do not.

This information is based on the last 20 years of Muskies Inc. data on fish over 50” from WI & MN.

In the last 20 years a total of 599 fish over 50” were registered from WI & MN.
20% of them were caught in WI.
80% of them were caught in MN.

In the last 10 years a total of 531 fish over 50” were registered from WI & MN.
15% of them were caught in WI.
85% of them were caught in MN.

In the last 5 years a total of 416 fish over 50” were registered from WI & MN.
11% of them were caught in WI.
89% of them were caught in MN.

In 2003 a total of 124 fish over 50” were registered between WI & MN.
4% were caught in WI.
96% were caught in MN.

In the last 5 years the average number of fish over 50" registered per year in WI was 9.

In the last 5 years the average number of fish over 50" registered per year in MN was 74!

In 1985 WI and MN each registered a total of 1 fish over 50”.

In 2003 WI registered a total of 5 fish over 50”, an increase of 400% over its total in 1985. Not too bad.

In 2003 MN registered a total of 119 fish over 50”, an increase of 11,800% over its total in 1985! Amazing!

In the 10 year period from 1986 - 1995 a total of 89 fish over 50” were registered between WI & MN.
57% were caught in WI.
43% were caught in MN.

In the 5 year period from 1996 - 2003 a total of 503 fish over 50” were registered between WI & MN.
13% were caught in WI.
87% were caught in MN.

MN has registered more 50” fish than WI in 15 of the last 20 years.

MN has registered more 50” fish than WI in all 10 of the last 10 years.

There were 479 fish over 50” registered from MN in the last 20 years.
77% of those were caught in just the last 5 years!

There were 120 fish over 50” registered from WI in the last 20 years.
38% of those were caught in the last 5 years.

The first fish over 50” ever registered from Lake Vermilion, MN was in June of 1998.

There was a total of 3 fish over 50” registered from Lake Vermilion, MN in 1998.

The was a total of 8 fish over 50” registered from the entire state of WI in 1998.

Lake Vermilion, MN has a total of 109 fish over 50” registered since 1998.

The entire state of WI has a total of 53 fish over 50“ registered since 1998.

Lake Vermilion, MN has more 50” fish registered than the entire state of WI in all 3 of the last 3 years.

In 2001 Lake Vermilion, MN registered more fish over 50” than the entire state of WI by nearly a 2 to 1 margin.
Lake Vermilion 13
Wisconsin 7.

In 2002 Lake Vermilion, MN again registered more fish over 50” than the entire state of WI and this time by more than a 2 to 1 margin.
Lake Vermilion 29
Wisconsin 14.

In 2003 Lake Vermilion, MN again registered more fish over 50” than the entire state of WI and this time by more than a 3 to 1 margin.
Lake Vermilion 18
Wisconsin 5.

So far in 2004 Lake Vermilion, MN has registered more fish over 50” than the entire state of WI by more than a 4 to 1 margin!
Lake Vermilion 37
Wisconsin 9

Muskies Inc. stats may not be 100% accurate in showing exactly what the differences are between WI & MN or why there is such a difference but these stats definitely give many of us a pretty good idea of whats actually happening out there. I don’t care how many fish go unreported in WI, how many acres Lake Vermilion is, how deep it is, how much or what kind of forage it has, how little pressure it gets, how much stocking it gets, when the stocking began, and all the other excuses people come up with for why it is as good as it is compared to WI. If one single lake in MN can out produce the entire state of WI as convincingly as this and more convincingly with each passing year, then WI needs to try something different from what we are doing now or we can only expect this kind of thing to continue.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)