Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> LOTW biggest Musky???

Message Subject: LOTW biggest Musky???
Posted 2/22/2013 10:52 AM (#619700 - in reply to #619694)
Subject: Re: LOTW biggest Musky???

Larry Ramsell - 2/22/2013 10:18 AM

LD can you post that pic? I'm highly suspect of it.

I agree on the "hope" but the bogus records of the past gave "false hope"!

There's no way a 60 came from Hayward without Larry hearing about it, and Doug is more than just one guy dude. He hasn't even seen one which almost rules out a 58-59 too if you think about it. I wonder I'd he's even heard of one, he's well connected there.
Posted 2/22/2013 11:37 AM (#619711 - in reply to #619087)
Subject: RE: LOTW biggest Musky???

"This post is pretty funny.
Ask yourself, has a 60" ever existed? The answer is yes, but not many.
(I have a published photo from Jim Peterson's Outdoor news from the early 1970's of a 60" fish caught in the Hayward area. Showed it in a seminar at the mn musky expo 3 years ago)
Next question, could it ever happen again? Duh...

But, I don't think the answer really matters. What matters is we HOPE they exist!

LD

LD certainly knows what a 60" muskie would look like and I don't feel anyone should be questioning what he's saying. If he didn't feel the fish in the photo was legit he certainly wouldn't be showing it during a seminar.
Propster
Posted 2/22/2013 11:44 AM (#619713 - in reply to #619087)

"and Doug is more than just one guy dude."

How many guys is Doug J? He doesn't look all that big to me?
horsehunter
Posted 2/22/2013 11:44 AM (#619714 - in reply to #619087)

Maybe girth is not as meaningful as we think. 2 weeks ago Michael Lazaraus was talking of muskies ( St Lawarence ) taking on air and expanding when out of the water ( not particularly harmfull ). I personally witnessed this on a 56 inch fish this past December. This is something I had never noticed before. Michael also mentioned the real big fish coming into the river after the season ends December 15. Who knows what lurks out in the Great Lakes one can only hope. One thing I noticed was that the Nov-Dec fish in the Larry had MUCH more slime than I am used to on fish from inland waters. One biologist a friend of mine spoke to speculated that these fish were recently in from Lake Ontario and had been feeding on trout and salmon

Maybe girth only works for dead fish

Edited by horsehunter 2/22/2013 11:48 AM
ChadG
Posted 2/22/2013 11:45 AM (#619715 - in reply to #619087)

What about this one? Release record at 62"

Edited by ChadG 2/22/2013 11:51 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(untitled.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments untitled.png (32KB - 320 downloads)
horsehunter
Posted 2/22/2013 11:58 AM (#619723 - in reply to #619087)

Chad if you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you
cave run legend
Posted 2/22/2013 12:07 PM (#619725 - in reply to #619723)

I bet the fishing pressure is going to increase on LOTW, lol. Everybody will think they have a shot at a 60".
IAJustin
Posted 2/22/2013 12:07 PM (#619726 - in reply to #619723)

Actually that was one of the few I believed was 60" +, she is long ..Ottawa River fish correct? Whats the story horsehunter?
IAJustin
Posted 2/22/2013 12:09 PM (#619727 - in reply to #619725)

cave run legend - 2/22/2013 12:07 PM

I bet the fishing pressure is going to increase on LOTW, lol. Everybody will think they have a shot at a 60".

You can have every resort on LOTW at full capacity..and IMO its not pressure, SO much water.
Dan Klis
Posted 2/22/2013 12:35 PM (#619733 - in reply to #619087)

I have been fishing LOTW extensively since 1988 (four years were spenting guiding at Flag Island) and never seen what I would consider a 60" fish. And have fished with some very good anglers who know a thing or two about big fish, and none of them have ever seen one.

A friend who was one of the originals to fish Lac Suel claimed to have one on, and I believe him. I believe a couple of fella's named Radcliffe and Johnson may have seen one there also, but you would have to ask them.

Do I believe there is one in the lake? That's why I am a property owner on LOTW and try and spend most of my season there. My goal is too catch a 60 incher, no kidding.
Posted 2/22/2013 1:56 PM (#619753 - in reply to #619087)

one man can only be in one place at a time. because one single person has not seen a 60" fish on LOTW does not mean they are not there. this could be doug johnsons year and i hope it is.

we don't see or catch our biggest our first time or year out unless you fish one of those minnesota aquariums, st clair, or get just get lucky. you obviously have not strayed far from those places if you think seeing or catching the biggest fish in the system is automatic for even the best and most experience muskie fishermen.

there was a 60 inch muskie caught on LOTW last year and there are reports of others over time. the fish caught last year was seen by MULTIPLE boats taking crappies off their lines until finally being caught a few days later. i was on my way to that area to toss pounders around for a few hours the very morning she was caught. just before take off we got the call that she had been landed by one of those crappie guys. and to think it was caught in an area 99 percent of muskie fisherman would not have even thought of fishing.
Dan Klis
Posted 2/22/2013 2:16 PM (#619757 - in reply to #619087)

Guest,

Appreciate your feedback, please read my last sentence. I do believe 60 inchers exist on LOTW and am fortunate to fish with Doug Johnson a great deal ( we are neighbors)

Tell you what, if I catch one I will keep it.

Dan
Musky Brian
Posted 2/22/2013 2:30 PM (#619762 - in reply to #619753)

Guest - 2/22/2013 1:56 PM

one man can only be in one place at a time. because one single person has not seen a 60" fish on LOTW does not mean they are not there. this could be doug johnsons year and i hope it is.

we don't see or catch our biggest our first time or year out unless you fish one of those minnesota aquariums, st clair, or get just get lucky. you obviously have not strayed far from those places if you think seeing or catching the biggest fish in the system is automatic for even the best and most experience muskie fishermen.

there was a 60 inch muskie caught on LOTW last year and there are reports of others over time. the fish caught last year was seen by MULTIPLE boats taking crappies off their lines until finally being caught a few days later. i was on my way to that area to toss pounders around for a few hours the very morning she was caught. just before take off we got the call that she had been landed by one of those crappie guys. and to think it was caught in an area 99 percent of muskie fisherman would not have even thought of fishing.

I find it hard to believe a legitimate 60" musky was caught last year on LOTW and somehow, someway never made into any type of media or social media outlet. This isn't 1970 anymore, pretty hard to keep something like that quiet if it were legitimate...I'll be happy to eat crow when the photo is posted
Dan Klis
Posted 2/22/2013 3:13 PM (#619774 - in reply to #619087)

I find it hard to believe one was caught. Do crappie fishermen normally carry a ruler that long? I thought theirs ended at like 15 inches.
Posted 2/22/2013 4:17 PM (#619789 - in reply to #619087)

We musky fishermen should know by now that we do not have a chance at getting a 60" fish. The only people that I know see numerous 60"ers and that catch those 60"ers are bass, walleye, and panfishermen. It is also helpful to have a previous pb in the low 30" range and to measure it with string, a net, or against an oar for accuracy.
Posted 2/22/2013 4:47 PM (#619795 - in reply to #619087)

Granted this is not a musky, but the following is a photo of what I consider to be one of the greatest freshwater angling records of all time; a 15 1/2 lb. NORTHERN strain largemouth bass caught from from under the ice in Massachusetts. The fish was taken in a pond not otherwise known to produce big bass and smashed the former state record largest LM bass by over 40%! If such a genetic freak exists in the bass world, why not in the musky world? I'm not sure what the largest musky caught in LOTW might be, but in my neck of the woods (MN) a similiar genetic freak - 40% larger than the next largest ever caught in the state - would weigh upwards of 75lbs and certainly be over 60" in length. I prefer to keep the dream alive whether I'm fishing in MN or LOTW! Brian

Photobucket
BenR
Posted 2/22/2013 4:59 PM (#619798 - in reply to #619087)

If the upper range for people are 7 feet, a 40% genetic freak would be just under 10 feet tall. That would be around 2 feet taller than the current record for tallest person in history. I think a 10 foot man and 60 inch muskie are similar in possibilities. BR
The unicorn
Posted 2/22/2013 6:33 PM (#619808 - in reply to #619087)

There are numerous 60" muskies caught every year in MN alone not to mention all the other bodies of water in the US and Canada. What you are all forgetting is how smart a fish of that caliber is. They have learned to avoid muskie baits altogether and if you want a real shot at one you need to catch it while crappie or walleye fishing. They also can sense when their is a bump board or measuring device in the boat and if you carry these...you have no chance. Most are measured by an oar or net handle...some by the keen eye alone.

Just start hanging out at the local baits op and you will soon realize how many of these fish actually exist.

The Unicorn
horsehunter
Posted 2/22/2013 7:02 PM (#619812 - in reply to #619087)

I had a guy tell me ( with a straight face )the head was on one side of the boat and the tail was on the other. This was on a lake that I would be surprised if it had ever produced a 53 inch fish and very few 50's.

His boat a 25 foot cabin crusier
todd booth
Posted 2/23/2013 9:35 AM (#619879 - in reply to #619087)

There are enough musky fishermen in the this world fishing the big name lakes and if LOW has a 60 inch capability someone will catch it. Don't believe in the lottery either on catching a big one.

Regarding Michigan and big muskies up north many people have gone there since the early 1990's to get one. I fished that lake where the michigan record is now in October 1999. I was not the only one there either. Several big fish were caught and released in that area but never publically displayed. None where over 58 pounds.

Regarding long fish don't assume long fish are heavy. A 60" fish caught in Moon River area that was under 40 pounds. I also remember a 57" muskie caught out of Sparrow Lake that weighed 23 pounds. Sometimes those old long fish are full of diseases and don't eat well.
Legend
Posted 2/23/2013 9:10 PM (#620041 - in reply to #619087)

The Legend of all Legends, Craig Stapon claims to have seen a few 60s in his time throwing LOTW. How come he gets to see so many of them and we don't?
esox99
Posted 2/24/2013 8:35 AM (#620094 - in reply to #619087)

I love this post; not only fun reading but this is the stuff muskie dreams are made of.

The biggest muskie I've ever photographed on any lake was "only" 55.5 inches; I got a very good look at one on LOTW a few years back which I would consider several inches longer than that one. It hit a 29-inch pike 3 times; twice at boatside.

Kevin
MuskieMark01
Posted 2/24/2013 11:30 AM (#620144 - in reply to #619798)

BenR - 2/22/2013 4:59 PM

If the upper range for people are 7 feet, a 40% genetic freak would be just under 10 feet tall. That would be around 2 feet taller than the current record for tallest person in history. I think a 10 foot man and 60 inch muskie are similar in possibilities. BR

Nope. That bass was 40% heavier, not 40% longer. A 10 foot tall person would probably weigh well over double what a 7 foot tall person with (the same build) would weigh. I actually think the extent of that bass record holds a fair bit of weight in a discussion like this. It definitely suggests that SERIOUS outliers happen here and there.

The bass example does differ a bit from this conversation in the sense that the bass was caught in an area where bass don't usually reach their maximum size. Muskies in MN are pushing the limits of their size capabilities, so I would expect such a dramatic record to be a bit less likely, but it raises an interesting point nonetheless.
horsehunter
Posted 2/24/2013 11:45 AM (#620150 - in reply to #619087)

If a new world record is ever set it will be by a heavy fish not a long fish.
keithtrophyfishn.com
Posted 2/25/2013 3:48 PM (#620522 - in reply to #619087)

In 2007 a guest from Wiley Point havested a 56" lots of pictures and a video used to be on-line but was removed after people critasized the handling. Biggest fish with video evidence I know of on a measuring tape. I hear "STORIES" of unreal sized fish every season
Jomusky
Posted 2/25/2013 8:37 PM (#620627 - in reply to #619087)

LOTW is an amazing place to fish, it's not about how big your fish is, just go fish and enjoy every minute of it.
rpieske
Posted 2/26/2013 4:05 PM (#620978 - in reply to #620627)

Well, I have only been fishing LOTW for 61 years, almost exclusively for muskies.  As a summer resident I have logged countless hours on LOTW.  In all that time, I have only seen two fish that might, and I say MIGHT, have been 60".  One I had along side the boat and marked the boat but I never got a ruler or bump board.  Heck, I never landed the fish.  But it was an experience that I still see in my dreams.  Maybe this year......
esox911
Posted 2/27/2013 4:19 AM (#621193 - in reply to #620978)

60"er of course there is a possibility of 1 in LOTW. Known 55-56"ers---lots of water and lots of Big Fish. Has 1 ever been caught out there ??? Maybe--I just think that any angler who would have caught it might have wanted to at least show off a picture of it. Has anyone ever even produced a PIC of a LOTW 60 ? But I am glad the lake has the reputation of BIG FISH and the hope of a 60" er keeps it interesting for everyone out there.
fishcrazed
Posted 2/27/2013 5:56 AM (#621198 - in reply to #621193)

there was one caught in crow lake, which is right across the road, about three years ago. caught by a bass fisherman.
Posted 2/27/2013 9:35 AM (#621275 - in reply to #619087)

Okay, while not 'caught' and not on 'LOTW', what about BobM's giant that he hooked - and lost - on film?? THAT was a massive fish. Biggest I've seen on film for sure. I s/w to both the anglers who were in the boat for that event and both think that that fish was noticeably larger than their personal bests - and both anglers have held 57"ers. Say what you want about BobM, but that was a historic fish on his line right there. Was THAT a 60??? My opinion, for what it's worth, is that if it wasn't, it sure was close.

Brian
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)