Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies Inc Members?

Muskies Inc Members?
OptionResults
Member297 Votes - [71.74%]
Non Member115 Votes - [27.78%]
Unaware of Muskies Inc.2 Votes - [0.48%]

Message Subject: Muskies Inc Members?
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/19/2012 3:20 PM (#547009 - in reply to #546576)
Subject: Re: Muskies Inc Members?

Ducks Unlimited gets my moola.
MuskieMruz
Posted 3/19/2012 3:54 PM (#547022 - in reply to #546576)

Anyone that has issue sending your money to the National and wants to support the local Chapters can always make a local donation, or attend a banquet or a local meeting and buy raffle tickets etc. Almost all the local Chapters ran by volunteers (usually the same people every year) raise the majority of thier budgets from the annual banquet. This supports speakers and all other activities for the members and the benefit of the local muskie fishery.

Drives me crazy the number of guys that fish the sport, but won't give back out there. Hats off to the guides, the manufacturers, the retail outlets small to big that even though they struggle they give back lots to the sport and those trying to maintain and improve the fisheries. Thank You to each and every one of you.
muskie! nut
Posted 3/19/2012 4:12 PM (#547026 - in reply to #547009)

Pointerpride102 - 3/19/2012 3:20 PM

We definitely need the bait PP1.02
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/19/2012 4:24 PM (#547033 - in reply to #547026)

muskie! nut - 3/19/2012 3:12 PM

Pointerpride102 - 3/19/2012 3:20 PM

We definitely need the bait PP1.02 :)

Nothing really against MI. I just don't have enough money to go around. I figured I work for fish so they get enough of my time.

Hopefully none on here are SFW members. If you are, you may want to look into what they actually stand for.
sworrall
Posted 3/19/2012 4:37 PM (#547037 - in reply to #546576)

Don't have to be a member to give back through your local Muskies Inc club.

Advertisers listed on the MI site:
http://www.muskiesinc.org/indy_files/sponsors.html

Mission Statement from the MI website:
http://www.muskiesinc.org/indy_files/about.html

Click on the link right of 'Our Purpose'. Read that first. Then read the Mission statement. Then 'Our Organization'.

The Capital City Chapter Muskie School just completed is a great example of doing all of these things well, while raising money to help the local fishery. That's what the Clubs do, pretty much. Get to a meeting, keep an open mind, and enjoy talking muskies for an hour or so.

Individuals like Treats and JS and many others here do much more, eclipsing the 'duty' they have as MI Officers.
Hunter4
Posted 3/19/2012 5:50 PM (#547052 - in reply to #546576)

Steve is absolutely correct. There are a lot of ways to help out. Taking part in a local chapters tournament or banquet doesn't require a membership. You can help out by taking part in a local lake clean up or participating on any of kids fishing derbies. The list goes on and on. Not speaking for Steve here but I love his point. At least this is what I get from some of his comments. You don't need a membership card to be a responsible musky angler. Just need to be involved in something, anything that betters our local fishery and/or communitee. Not going all Rah Rah on this. Its just a great point that Steve has made. Don't think that a membership to a club is the only way to contribute or to a be good steward of the sport we all enjoy and appreciate.

Edited by Hunter4 3/19/2012 5:56 PM
NOFEAR
Posted 3/19/2012 8:25 PM (#547080 - in reply to #546576)

Views for this post= 3230
Muskie Inc Members= 206
% of Members= 6.4 %

I have to assume that most people viewing are musky fisherman. To me that's concerning!

It's up to us to keep this sport growing.
magnum
Posted 3/19/2012 8:25 PM (#547081 - in reply to #546576)
Subject: RE: Muskies Inc Members?

I am. Life member
fastcast2
Posted 3/19/2012 8:35 PM (#547084 - in reply to #547080)

Figures not correct.i voted once,but viewed this forum over 20 times to see comments.the numbers have to be members versus nonmembers,and the percentages.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 3/19/2012 8:50 PM (#547087 - in reply to #547022)

MuskieMruz - 3/19/2012 4:54 PM

Anyone that has issue sending your money to the National and wants to support the local Chapters can always make a local donation, or attend a banquet or a local meeting and buy raffle tickets etc. Almost all the local Chapters ran by volunteers (usually the same people every year) raise the majority of thier budgets from the annual banquet. This supports speakers and all other activities for the members and the benefit of the local muskie fishery.

Drives me crazy the number of guys that fish the sport, but won't give back out there. Hats off to the guides, the manufacturers, the retail outlets small to big that even though they struggle they give back lots to the sport and those trying to maintain and improve the fisheries. Thank You to each and every one of you.

This is it right here. Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been a member for 5 years. The first 2 was just doing the fun thing, hanging out with members, outings, etc. Then, I took a little responsibility and started running the online auction, then helping put together meetings. Then, I bacame a board member, and this year, I've become V.P. I helped co-chair our annual fundraising banquet which was over 5 months of planning and over 1500 emails. (Glad that's over for now!!)
But yes, there are many people who fish muskies who I talk to on the water that have never done anything to give back. When asked if they've ever thought about joining, their response is usually something like "Why should I? The muskies will be in this lake whether I join or not". They don't understand that if everyone thought this way, there wouldn't be any members, and no one fighting to keep size limits up. Or, in our case, no muskie program at all. Our muskie program almost got dropped a few times until our club Ch.47 stepped up to the plate with the needed funds to keep it running. Buying food, fixing the rearing ponds, volunteering our time/gas/money/vehicles to collect fingerlings, stock trucks, buy fingerlings from fish farms, paying grad students to do studies on habitats, movements, etc. Man, the list goes on and on. And other anglers have the audacity to call us "Muskie Humpers" or telling us to mind our own business if someone has speared a fish. Well, guess what -- it IS our business! The fish stocked in our lakes are a result of lost hours at work, missed hours with the family, money out of our own wallets. So do I take muskie fishing,preservation,restoration, and education seriously & personally? You bet I do!
NOFEAR
Posted 3/19/2012 9:02 PM (#547089 - in reply to #547084)

fastcast2 - 3/19/2012 8:35 PM

Figures not correct.i voted once,but viewed this forum over 20 times to see comments.the numbers have to be members versus nonmembers,and the percentages.

I feel better,

Thank you!
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2012 8:44 AM (#547154 - in reply to #546576)

For those that just said it's not for me to I would ne curious to know why. M.I. is always looking for ways to improve and for feedback as are the individual clubs. I know it is one of the things our membership director, an older Italian guy in a pinstripe suit, tries to find out. He always puts a n expense in for whole salmon and sacrete, he just seems to know just how to keep or retention high.
short STRIKE
Posted 3/20/2012 2:32 PM (#547259 - in reply to #547154)

Had contemplated signing up for a while now, just never dove in... Finally made the commitment today, North Metro MI is the one I chose... looking forward to being a member, first adult beverage is on me, WAIT, how big is this particular chapter? I better hold off on the drink promises until my wife gives me my "musky allowance"!
aceguide
Posted 3/20/2012 4:04 PM (#547274 - in reply to #546734)

I don't believe some of the reasons people give for not joining?! Who cares about the international, the real work is done at the chapter level. Without MI there wouldn't be an MMPA either and we'd really be in trouble. There are groups out there doing whatever they can to see that no more Muskies are ever stocked in Minnesota. Believe it or not all you young people, there was a time when 50 inch fish were just a dream for most anglers. Now most of you just expect to catch a 50 every once and a while. That is a direct result of MI working with the DNR and donating time and money to the fishery as you know it now. If you fish for Muskies you should be a member, wether you go to the meetings or not. The important thing is that we have the numbers. Polititions won't help us if we don't have and members to back it all up. It's the same with the DNR, if we can't show them how many people are really out there chasing Muskies they can't justify spending the money on stocking new lakes and maintaining the lakes we already have. So please put aside all those petty reasons for not joining and do the smart thing for all of us and the fish we love to catch.

"Ace"
Homer
Posted 3/20/2012 7:09 PM (#547301 - in reply to #546576)

Other ways to help and you can take part in activities without joining. I would never re-join, but did help a chapter with guide for a day, working at hatchery, shocking fish that went over the spillway on a lake out east. Have done educated many people on how to handle the fish and taken people out and introduced them into muskie fishing. I have donated money, called and emailed representatives on behalf of the muskie community. I do quite a bit without having to be part of MI. Many people do a lot. MI is not for me, the idea that people who are in MI think nobody else does anything is part of the problem. H
archerynut36
Posted 3/20/2012 7:25 PM (#547306 - in reply to #547154)

ToddM - 3/20/2012 9:44 AM

For those that just said it's not for me to I would ne curious to know why. M.I. is always looking for ways to improve and for feedback as are the individual clubs. I know it is one of the things our membership director, an older Italian guy in a pinstripe suit, tries to find out. He always puts a n expense in for whole salmon and sacrete, he just seems to know just how to keep or retention high.

good one todd, and i have fished with him too. he is one heck of a guy and i fully enjoyed 2 days on the boat with him.....bill
curdmudgeon
Posted 3/20/2012 7:53 PM (#547316 - in reply to #547154)

ToddM - 3/20/2012 8:44 AM

For those that just said it's not for me to I would ne curious to know why.

too busy. plus, if I were going to do some volunteer work to improve the world it would be to help sick kids.

Edited by curdmudgeon 3/20/2012 7:54 PM
Shep
Posted 3/21/2012 8:35 AM (#547419 - in reply to #547316)

curdmudgeon - 3/20/2012 7:53 PM

ToddM - 3/20/2012 8:44 AM

For those that just said it's not for me to I would ne curious to know why.

too busy. plus, if I were going to do some volunteer work to improve the world it would be to help sick kids.

Not trying to improve the whole world. Just our little part of it.

Member since 92ish? Former chapter board member. I let it lapse last year, as I'm going to enjoy a couple years of watching the daughter play HS and Tournament softball. I'll rejoin when she's off to college, I suspect. Still support the old chapter when I can through their fund raisers.

Think MI should get rid of the magazine. As long as they keep dumping money in the rag, it is not a total return to the resource organization, as was stated above.
ToddM
Posted 3/21/2012 5:49 PM (#547563 - in reply to #546576)

curdmudgeon, as I stated in an earlier post alot of people have busy lives with work and families that does not allow them the time to devote to putting both feet into an organazation like M.I. That is totally understandable. When I was married I certainly would have had no time for any of it. As I also stated in an earlier post any contribution is worth the effort. It may be procuring one item for a fundrasing banquet and it does not even have to be fishing related. Many of us can make that one phone call, e-mail to someone we know that could give up a gift cetificate, a donation of an item that could be used to raise funds. It does not require jumping in with both feet.
misterperch
Posted 3/22/2012 11:10 AM (#547733 - in reply to #547316)

curdmudgeon
I understand being too busy. Hope that someday life will allow you to help sick kids. The kid in the wheelchair with me is my oldest. Lack of oxygen at birth caused a list of health problems to long for this post and me to reevaluate my being to busy. She is my fishing buddy even though the Cerebral Palsy is so bad i have to help her crank the reel. A great way to help sick kids with long term disability is spending time fishing with them.

Plan on joining Muskies Inc at the April 10th meeting

Edited by misterperch 3/22/2012 11:13 AM
Esox99
Posted 3/27/2012 11:41 AM (#548856 - in reply to #546576)

What a great discussion. I have especially liked the talk about taking kids fishing. MUSKIE Magazine will highlight Youth activities in our upcoming May/June 2012 issue. In the past we have also highlighted the efforts of some of our chapters to make fishing possible for kids with special needs, disabled Vets, and many others.
I'm a proud 35 year member of Muskies Inc. For the past 5 years I have also been Editor of MUSKIE, our non-profit magazine. In 2012 the real cost of the magazine to our members will be about $1.10 per issue per member, or less than $7.00 per member for the entire year. Magazine costs would be higher if not for the support of our many advertisers and the fact that a high percentage of our articles are donated by some fine authors.
To me, one of the coolest changes in the magazine over the past 5 years is the increase in timely reports from our Chapters across North America and the increase in project updates from many Fisheries Biologists involved with muskies. I hope more muskie anglers consider joining Muskies Inc. Heck, the annual membership cost is about equal to the price of just 2 or 3 muskie baits! Either way, I wish each of you a great 2012 season. Finally, after the thrill of catching your next muskie, please do your best to carefully release it to fight another day; the future of our muskie resource will literally be in your hands!
Kevin Richards, MUSKIE Editor
http://www.muskiesinc.org/indy_files/mimag.html
Posted 3/27/2012 9:05 PM (#548973 - in reply to #546576)

I have been a member for 3 years. Even though I agree that the international part of Muskies inc. has it's flaws the chapter I am apart of locally does so many good things. Who wouldn't want to be apart of that. Plus I get to go drink beer with buddies, listen to very good speakers and win my self some gear every now and then.
HD Fatboy
Posted 3/27/2012 10:24 PM (#548993 - in reply to #546576)

I am a member at Chapter 16. I do like there web site, I like being able to enter your fish in the lunge log, plus I am always doing lunge log inquiries to see what is being caught around all the chapters.
Homer
Posted 3/28/2012 1:09 PM (#549099 - in reply to #546576)

Still curious, is membership increasing or decreasing? Thanks. H
Posted 3/28/2012 2:22 PM (#549122 - in reply to #546576)

The Fargo Moorhead Chapter membership is at it's highest level ever.

I can't comment on the org as a whole.

JS
vegas492
Posted 3/28/2012 4:06 PM (#549149 - in reply to #546576)

Milwaukee Chapter is at around 200 members. Pretty much hangs out there.
Ifishskis
Posted 3/28/2012 7:25 PM (#549175 - in reply to #546576)

I have never been a member and don't belong now. Can't say that I won't ever but I honestly don't know what the mission and purpose of the national organization is, and I don't know how the "national" MI differs from the local MI chapters....if there is any difference. Also, what local chapters I checked into had very few events during the year. I do buy more than my share of raffle tix to support MI.

If the MHM and MI magazines somehow combined, I'm almost 100% sure I would join.

Erik J
Posted 3/28/2012 8:40 PM (#549193 - in reply to #548856)

This is a great topic. I Joined the Twin Cities chapter around 1990 at a sportshow. Saw the booth and got my wallet out. Looked like a good cause. Went on to help start the North Metro Chapter in 1992, and served many posts for them. After working a few sportshows, I realized it was not as easy to sign up a new member as I was. Anyone who fishes for muskies owes MI a huge debt of gratitude. Don't over think it. It's a no-brainer to join. Every other reason not to, is just an excuse. Thank you Muskies Incorporated for all you do!

Erik Jacobson
Muskie Treats
Posted 3/29/2012 8:40 AM (#549255 - in reply to #549099)

Homer - 3/28/2012 11:09 AM

Still curious, is membership increasing or decreasing? Thanks. H

It's been pretty stagnant.
Sorgy
Posted 3/29/2012 9:17 AM (#549265 - in reply to #549255)

Eric,
I remember back when the North Metro chapter Started.
Eric Jacobson, Jim Shannon, Caro and Manley Thorson, Steve Sorgenfrei, Roger Andresion ? and who else. There were 7 of us.
It took many years to get up to the 200 member level and we have fluctuated back and forth from aproximatley 400 to the 200 member level ( I may be way off on these numbers).
Our chapter is trying to rebuild its membership- I think the economy is a huge reason that the membership goes up and down.
Over the years many of the same speakers were seen over and over again (I could always pick up a few tips).
Many of the board members and contributers to the chapters projects were the same 10 - 15 people. It is always hard to get new blood in the leadership parts of the chapters.
The chapter has recently had some new and energetic blood added to the membership as well as the board. We also have a new and energetic president- Thank You Mr Murz
Our chapter has
1)meetings every 3rd Tuesday of the month Sept- April with speakers
2)A summer muskie league - fishes 8 nights thru the summer - includes bonus points for attending league nights and points for fishing with new members and old as well on 5 metro lakes.
3) we have had the June Jam tournament in NW WI for many years.
4)We have a chapter picnic in June - Just show up everything is provided
5) we have several outings yearly that include a camping outing on Lake Vermilion and a shared outing on Lake of the Woods ( Red Wing Lodge - Saboskong Bay).
6) We have chapter banquet every year as well
7) we give a Lax Taxidermy replica to the largest muskie released by a club member each year.
We are looking for more ideas every month.
If people want to get involved with things that the chapter has ongoing there are plenty of oppourtunities.
No matter what we do membeship will have its ups and downs. 20 year members are few and far between.

Good Luck everyone

I hope to see you at a meeting soon

Steve Sorgenfrei

Edited by Sorgy 3/29/2012 9:18 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)