Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Thoughts on TranX

Message Subject: Thoughts on TranX
lehighmuskies
Posted 1/15/2012 2:04 PM (#533019 - in reply to #532751)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on TranX

Why would you wanna fight a fish with your weaker arm?Makes no sense
fish4musky1
Posted 1/15/2012 3:23 PM (#533032 - in reply to #532751)

What makes a righty's left arm weaker? I may not be able to write or throw as well with left arm but it's equally as strong. Anyway don't you use your whole body for the hookset, not just your arm?

I grew up using a lefty retrieve spinning reel my whole life. At age 15 got my first baitcaster. Went to Gander and tried both the 6500 and 6501 c3's. The 6500 just felt natural, even though I had been reeling with my left hand my whole life with a spinning reel.
lifeisfun
Posted 1/15/2012 3:27 PM (#533033 - in reply to #533032)

fish4musky1 - 1/15/2012 4:23 PM

What makes a righty's left arm weaker? I may not be able to write or throw as well with left arm but it's equally as strong. Anyway don't you use your whole body for the hookset, not just your arm?

I grew up using a lefty retrieve spinning reel my whole life. At age 15 got my first baitcaster. Went to Gander and tried both the 6500 and 6501 c3's. The 6500 just felt natural, even though I had been reeling with my left hand my whole life with a spinning reel.

And you cast using your left hand as well ?
h2o.
Posted 1/15/2012 4:22 PM (#533045 - in reply to #532751)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on TranX

Medically, a Doctor will tell parents, that if they notice their child writing with their left hand at the beginning of their life, to never force the child to use their right hand to do so. This could cause long term neurological implications.

Switching hands to complete a task would only be advised by a doctor to patients with amputated ligaments. A person, who is right hand dominant, will never be as efficient, if he/she would use their non-dominant hand.

This is what we have been taught at medical school.
Ronix
Posted 1/15/2012 5:46 PM (#533062 - in reply to #532751)

this drama makes for a great read
Chasin50
Posted 1/15/2012 5:52 PM (#533063 - in reply to #532751)

So what is the verdict on the best ratio for burning double 10's?
Posted 1/15/2012 6:12 PM (#533070 - in reply to #533045)

Oh my god.

A doctor should also have been taught that handedness tasks and neurological implications in children have to do with brain pathways development when a child is very young. As long as you're not 5 years old, you can learn to reel with your other hand without messing up your brain. C'mon already Mister Medical School.

I'm equally efficient with either hand. I wasn't the first time I tried, or even the first month. It's called practice. I carry both right and left handed reels in my boat, and switch out during the day in order to prevent fatigue to one hand, something that would have a much larger effect on efficiency than some cockamamie neurological confusion. Funny stuff.

I wonder if Shimano did any market research over the years on the number of left-side cranking reels they would sell and the cost/benefit ratio of producing them?
NOFEAR
Posted 1/15/2012 7:51 PM (#533104 - in reply to #532751)

Is it June yet?
CASTING55
Posted 1/15/2012 8:02 PM (#533107 - in reply to #533104)

looked up the percentage of people who are right and left handed,85% of humans are right handed,out of that 15% of leftys how many want to buy a tranx,lol
Posted 1/15/2012 8:16 PM (#533111 - in reply to #532751)

Not all lefties want left handed reels and not all righties want right handed reels. It is a preference for fishing style. The 85% right handed vs 15% left handed doesn't mean those wanting a left handed reel are left handed. I have two burners for double 10s. One righty and one lefty. I am right hand dominant and prefer to cast with my right hand and reel with my left. I spoke with Avet who makes a left hand burner last summer and I thought the gentlemen I spoke with said about 1/2 of the people ordering left handed reels were considered right handed people.

In terms of Shimano making the Tranx in a lefty would depend on if Shimano feels it is a good marketing decision. In my opinion most right handed people use right handed reels and a for a lot of left handed people it is a benifit to use a right handed reel as they can cast with their left hand naturally and don't have to learn to cast left handed to use a right handed reel effectively.
Posted 1/15/2012 8:44 PM (#533115 - in reply to #533111)

and a for a lot of left handed people it is a benifit to use a right handed reel as they can cast with their left hand naturally and don't have to learn to cast left handed to use a right handed reel effectively.

Exactly. I'm a lefty and I'm the only guy out of my circle of friends who reels right handed.
Targa01
Posted 1/15/2012 9:00 PM (#533117 - in reply to #532751)

I've avoided replying to this thread because of how it turned out but I guess I needed to throw my point out there like so many. It's called a "left-hand crank reel" meaning which side the handle is on and that's it. Nothing to do with what's your dominant hand. Like many I used spinning reels for a long time before I ever picked up a casting reel and like many I cranked with my left hand. I learned to work baits and cast with my right so that feels natural to me. I can crank in baits with my right hand but I can't work a bait or do anything else.

This is no different than right handed people buying left-handed baseball gloves. We learned to throw with our rights so we catch with our lefts. I learned to cast with my right and crank with my left.

And for the other guys saying suck it up and learn to fish with a right handed reel; they should just suck it up and learn to crank in big blades with their Abu 6500's. It's all about comfort and that's what we are all after.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 1/15/2012 9:16 PM (#533119 - in reply to #533063)

Chasin50 - 1/15/2012 5:52 PM

As I stated in another thread,I was fortunate enough to try both models out before the contest with 10's and IMO,I would have the slower ratio for big blades and higher for small blades.Just my thoughts though...
h2o.
Posted 1/15/2012 10:37 PM (#533133 - in reply to #533070)

Guest - 1/15/2012 6:12 PM

Oh my god.

A doctor should also have been taught that handedness tasks and neurological implications in children have to do with brain pathways development when a child is very young. As long as you're not 5 years old, you can learn to reel with your other hand without messing up your brain. C'mon already Mister Medical School.

I'm equally efficient with either hand. I wasn't the first time I tried, or even the first month. It's called practice. I carry both right and left handed reels in my boat, and switch out during the day in order to prevent fatigue to one hand, something that would have a much larger effect on efficiency than some cockamamie neurological confusion. Funny stuff.

That was just the simplest example, and in no way does it apply to "us", but I used it to introduce it as a "thought", and that's why I used it in the first paragraph.. There is more to it. Please, look it up, and don't dissect what I wanted to share.

In the end, you could never be as efficient. Why hammer in a nail with my non-dominant hand, when I can do it better and safer with my dominant right hand. Again, there is more to it.

For my self, and I can speak for all of my fishing friends who are right handed and wind with their left hand. I/we really tried hard to convert, but it just feels so unnatural to me. Things I found hardest to implement when fishing with my non-dominant hand were: fighting fish, setting the hook, working a lure, casting, holding the rod, etc...pretty much everything felt uncomfortable.

When ever I view a fishing show, I can pick up pretty fast on a person who is doing it wrong. And because musky fishing demands so much from our bodies, musky shows are the easiest to differentiate. I can "guaranty" that if that person did it with their proper hand he/she would be much more "efficient", and in the end, caught more fish.

There is just so much to it, I wish that I had more time to share this with you guys.

Tight lines, back to reading, which I have done almost non-stop since 7 am yesterday morning.
h2o.
Posted 1/15/2012 10:40 PM (#533135 - in reply to #533133)

To tired to fix this, please read from,

That was just the simplest example...
sworrall
Posted 1/16/2012 12:20 AM (#533142 - in reply to #532751)

I want the handle in the obvious spot to solve the problem.

The middle of the reel.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/16/2012 6:08 AM (#533148 - in reply to #533119)

missourimuskyhunter - 1/15/2012 9:16 PM

Chasin50 - 1/15/2012 5:52 PM

As I stated in another thread,I was fortunate enough to try both models out before the contest with 10's and IMO,I would have the slower ratio for big blades and higher for small blades.Just my thoughts though...

I would also have the 4.6 for hard pulling DC10-13 and the 6.6 for picking up slack line ripping Dawgs or Jerk baits. One thing I did notice about the TranX reels is that the handle length, it is shorter then the Trinidad, so if U wanted a little more power U could install a Trinidad handle on the TranX. But I wonder if Shimano did that so the reel won't engage on the cast .
KSauers
Posted 1/16/2012 8:14 AM (#533165 - in reply to #532936)

catchandrelease - 1/15/2012 12:21 AM

I knew it was going to be big, but I never expected the TranX to dwarf a Trinidad 16 and it makes that 400TE look like a bass reel.

I thought it was going to be too big but when seeing it didn't think so. It fit perfectly in my palm.
KSauers
Posted 1/16/2012 8:24 AM (#533167 - in reply to #532751)

I'm all confused about this righty vs. lefty stuff. It seems backwards to me .I'm a lefty and all my reels are rightys and it seems perfectly natural to me. Too me a lefty reel is assbackwards.
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/16/2012 8:24 AM (#533168 - in reply to #532751)

As I thought I would/could,, I SMOKED the Tranx with my 400 LJV this weekend. The Tranx is an amazing reel, not doubt about it, but I think I will keep on fishing and buying the 400 LJV's. Best reel I have ever used, by a mile. The Shimano Tranx is sweet for sure, fast, smooth, etc...but I don't think it is any better than the LJV's.
Posted 1/16/2012 8:49 AM (#533174 - in reply to #533148)

PIKEMASTER - 1/16/2012 6:08 AM
I would also have the 4.6 for hard pulling DC10-13 and the 6.6 for picking up slack line ripping Dawgs or Jerk baits.

I guess I'm missing something here Dick. If you're (and others are) saying you'll use the 4.6 for the blades, then what's the selling point of this reel for you? I thought the glory of this reel was that it's a 43" burner with a levelwind and thumb bar. But if you're using the lower ratio for blades, why not use a 400TE with a power handle or LJV? What the difference in line pick up...5"? That's no biggie. I know it'd pull harder, but if I were getting one I'd get it for the blades and get the 6.6. I guess I don't see the selling point of the 4.6 model when there's so many other options in that ratio class, and you're not using the 6.6 for blades. That's my head scratcher. For day time bucktails I use Trinidads and had a 16N and now a 16NA (as well as a 14) and I love them for blades and if I were to get a Tranx (which I'm not planning on) I'd get the 6.6 and roll with the 43"....but you're saying you'd use the 4.6 for the blades and that ratio isn't really anything special compared to what we have on the market now...in a smaller package and for less money.

I value you're opinion and I'm not arguing, I'm asking because I don't know. Thanks.
MJPfeiffer
Posted 1/16/2012 9:12 AM (#533178 - in reply to #533174)

Another question for Pikemaster. I use a Calcutta TE 700 for moderate speed on big blades, and i am thinking the slower Tranx would not be much of an upgrade. I use the foregrip, so "palmability" is not a factor for me. If I remember correctly, theTE700 is lighter at 19 oz, and has plenty of power to get the job done.
Thoughts?
RStien321
Posted 1/16/2012 9:15 AM (#533180 - in reply to #532843)

figureight - 1/14/2012 1:36 PM

not to mention setting the hook with your weaker arm. whats the sense in that?? :-O

Personally, my arms are definitely not the primary hook setting muscle. Much more core and lower body to generate the power, just like swinging a baseball bat.
Posted 1/16/2012 9:37 AM (#533189 - in reply to #532751)

Here is the part I'm not sure I get about the Tranx and other high speed reels for us musky fishermen.

For example if I cast into a pocket on a shield lake and I truly want to burn and the water is only a few inches deep around the pocket. I will have to have speed to burn it over the rocks without getting hung up. The majority of the people I fish with will cast with their right hands for accuracy, then switch hands, tilt their rod, and then start cranking with their right hand. In the above scenario half of them will be hung up on the rock by the time they start reeling no matter how fast the reel is.

The supposed advantage of a high speed reel is more line pick up per inch and thus less fatigue on the hand doing the reeling. I can see right handed people reeling with their right hands for speed on reels with lower line pick ups. Now with the newer high speed reels it seems that reeling with a right hand is not a big deal anymore as speed of the handle crank is no longer the issue. I prefer to cast right handed on my burners so I use a left handed cranking reel. If I had to use a 6500 reel for burning I would never use a left handed cranking reel. I would use the right handed reel because my right hand would be quicker and cast with my left hand.

I think this is why some are wishing high speed reels would come out in left hand versions.

jackson
Posted 1/16/2012 10:20 AM (#533198 - in reply to #532751)

$200 price tag maybe... but no way am i parting with $500 for this reel.
KSauers
Posted 1/16/2012 10:38 AM (#533205 - in reply to #532751)

200 price tag. Wow some people are really living in the past. I can't believe so much complaining about the price. I don't remember anyone complaining about 480 for a 16na. This is a BETTER reel for us.
Ruddiger
Posted 1/16/2012 10:41 AM (#533207 - in reply to #533180)

Howdy,

Just to add my 2 cents on lefties and the gear ratio question....

first I am a true lefty who writes with my left, throws with my left, bats left handed etc. I actually consider myself blessed when it comes to baitcasters as I can cast with my left, crank with my right and buy ANY "right handed" baitcaster on the market. I use spinning reels the same way and all of my "push-buttons" were like that as a kid. Total muscle memory from my first day of fishing to my most recent. Its great!

Interestingly, all of my friends who fish are right handed. All of the younger ones who have never been conditioned to switch hands during the cast (like most older fisherman have) prefer "left handed" baitcasters like a 6501 so that they can cast with their right and crank with their left.

I suspect that they, and fisherman like them, are the ones driving the market for left handed reels more than left handed dudes like myself... so don't hate on the lefties as our life expectancy is short enough already due to can-opener accidents!

Now on the issue of saltwater reels and their higher gear ratio and cranking power-and again, don't hate- I have to say I didn't find my Trinidad 14 and its 6:1 ratio to be any easier to crank DCGs than my Curado 300 with an after market EJ handle on it. I know that sounds like heresy, but I thought they felt about the same. Either one could blow the lure out of the water if I really pushed it and both were harder to crank a DCG than my CT-400 was with a lower ratio and the rosewood power handle (which also generated a lot of speed if I worked harder.)

That said I'm struggling with the Tranx (which I originally planned to purchase), which no doubt is awesome, its gear ratio (and the whole ratio debate in general) and the price to value of the $400+ saltwater reels compared to reels on the $200-300 range.

While DCGs are harder to crank on traditional reels, the addition of a power handle and investing in the occasional replacement gear (no different than maintenance items like tires on a truck) makes them very manageable for most situations on the water. Even with higher gear ratio reels.

Also, all reels break, even saltwater reels. When they do, however, its usually a part that costs less than a case of beer, and we all stock up on that. Parts are no different (or could be at least).

Now-and get ready to flame away-I'm wondering if a Curado 300EJ at $270.00 and the purchase of an extra drive gear and pinion gear (just in case) wouldn't be a better cost to value approach when paired with 65lb line. Even with the added torque of DCGs the reel wouldn't crank that much harder than a Trinidad 14, would be cheaper (even if you had to replace the occasional pinion or drive gear) and would be more versatile for everything else.

That said, pop the gasoline and go crazy =-)!

Take care,

Ruddiger
catchandrelease
Posted 1/16/2012 11:49 AM (#533220 - in reply to #532751)

For all of those crazy right-handed individuals like myself that cast and reel with their right hand, when exactly do you switch hands? For me, it is during the cast while the lure is in the air, so I'm ready to crank with my right hand as soon as the lure hits the water. It is incredibly easy.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/16/2012 12:30 PM (#533224 - in reply to #533174)

Guest - 1/16/2012 8:49 AM

PIKEMASTER - 1/16/2012 6:08 AM
I would also have the 4.6 for hard pulling DC10-13 and the 6.6 for picking up slack line ripping Dawgs or Jerk baits.

I guess I'm missing something here Dick. If you're (and others are) saying you'll use the 4.6 for the blades, then what's the selling point of this reel for you? I thought the glory of this reel was that it's a 43" burner with a levelwind and thumb bar. But if you're using the lower ratio for blades, why not use a 400TE with a power handle or LJV? What the difference in line pick up...5"? That's no biggie. I know it'd pull harder, but if I were getting one I'd get it for the blades and get the 6.6. I guess I don't see the selling point of the 4.6 model when there's so many other options in that ratio class, and you're not using the 6.6 for blades. That's my head scratcher. For day time bucktails I use Trinidads and had a 16N and now a 16NA (as well as a 14) and I love them for blades and if I were to get a Tranx (which I'm not planning on) I'd get the 6.6 and roll with the 43"....but you're saying you'd use the 4.6 for the blades and that ratio isn't really anything special compared to what we have on the market now...in a smaller package and for less money.

I value you're opinion and I'm not arguing, I'm asking because I don't know. Thanks.

Here is my thinking on the the 2 gears, I don't fish lakes that DC10-13 need to be burned at warp speed, if I did then I would use the 6.6 gear TranX for DC10-13 blades. So the TranX 4.6 has a line pickup of 30" per turn of the handle and a TE/LJV has a line pickup of 25" per turn of the handle, only 5" right !!! but on a 150ft /50yd cast a TranX 4.6 U will have to turn the handle 60 times to bring in a bait and the TE/LJV 72 turnes of the handle, 12 more turns so after 500 casts you have 6000 more turns of the a reel handle, so the 5" becomes a Big factor in a day of fishing.
The TranX has the same size gearing as the Trinidad which is bigger then a TE/LVJ
so they will last longer then a TE/LJV. The TE/LJV is a great reel but the TranX has more power and speed then the TE/LVJ but at a price, weight and cost, each person will have to make that decession if it is worth it to them. I always disliked not having a levelwind and a push button spool release.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 1/16/2012 12:43 PM (#533226 - in reply to #533178)

MJPfeiffer - 1/16/2012 9:12 AM

Another question for Pikemaster. I use a Calcutta TE 700 for moderate speed on big blades, and i am thinking the slower Tranx would not be much of an upgrade. I use the foregrip, so "palmability" is not a factor for me. If I remember correctly, theTE700 is lighter at 19 oz, and has plenty of power to get the job done.
Thoughts?

The TranX 4.6 would not be any faster but U have bigger gears in the TranX so it will have more power over the 700TE not much but a little, both reels have level winds but the TranX has a push button spool release over the lever of the 700TE. The TranX cost more and has a little more weight so that one U will have to decide on.
I would try them out on a reel and go with the one that feels right to U.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)