Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Michigan Muskie Show

Message Subject: Michigan Muskie Show
MuskyLureFreak
Posted 2/5/2011 6:45 PM (#480003 - in reply to #476806)
Subject: Re: Michigan Muskie Show

2 hour to get there 4 to get back. old man winter is no joke. hope the rest of you have a safe drive.

Edited by MuskyLureFreak 2/5/2011 6:46 PM
JimtenHaaf
Posted 2/5/2011 9:46 PM (#480020 - in reply to #476806)

2 1/2 hr drive there, 3 1/2 hr drive back home. The weather really hurt attendance out there. It started off really strong, but after the first 2" fell, all I heard in all the aisles was, "So-&-So turned around and went back home". Or - "We should leave before it gets any worse". The first 3 hours, every booth had people in front of it with aisles still getting more crowded. But by 4pm, I'll bet there were 4 staff employees or vendors to every customer.
I just hope that the bait manufacturers don't use the day as a whole to decide whether or not they'll come next year. Use the first 3 hrs of sales, then multiply by 3!!
jasonvkop
Posted 2/5/2011 10:15 PM (#480022 - in reply to #476806)

The show was great! I thought attendance was very good in the morning, but it did die out due to the weather. Lots of people left the show early so they wouldn't get caught in the snow and a lot of people didn't make it in for the same reason. Hopefully tomorrow is better and the crowd stays pretty big throughout the day. There were tons of vendors there and a lot of big names, so hopefully this happens again next year and continues to grow.
Chae Dolsen
Posted 2/6/2011 5:49 AM (#480035 - in reply to #476806)
Subject: RE: Michigan Muskie Show

we will be back the show ws put together great. hopefully next year the weather gives us a break!! The show should just keep getting bigger and better year after year!!

On a side note the Lure swap was great also Thanks to The Michigan Musky Alliance guys for putting it on all the procedes went to a great cause & PS I was getting crown Reserve and coke at the swap for $3.40 YOU CANT DO THAT IN CHICAGO!!!!
Chasin50
Posted 2/6/2011 7:26 AM (#480040 - in reply to #476806)

Really nice show... Great to finally have a show in Michigan. Hope it comes togather in the coming years. IMOHO, a big retailer like Thorne or R&H is needed. Would also like to see more bait makers from the Ohio, WV, PN area. Finally more people needed at the swap!

A great start to what hopefully becomes an annual event!
Esoxonthefly421
Posted 2/6/2011 8:27 AM (#480047 - in reply to #476806)

The first three hours was evidence enough that Michigan needed to have a show, it was like hobos on a ham sandwich. There was tons of stuff to look at and people to talk to. As everyone said, the weather really did hurt the later part of the day but I totally expect to see a show again next year.
Strawberry Shortcake
Posted 2/6/2011 1:48 PM (#480100 - in reply to #476806)

Maybe next year he can do Two, I hear there is a great place in Rockford, that has a water park attached to a convention center even bigger than the one in Michigan, why stop at one great show when you can have 2 just in case
Larry Jones
Posted 2/6/2011 3:18 PM (#480117 - in reply to #476806)

Got up at 2:30 am to get down the road toward the Michigan Muskie Show.Roads were clear all the way to Toledo,Ohio,then it turned to a hard show fall as we got to the Show parking lot.The Michigan Muskie Show was a great venue,the Tuff Shad Booth had to restock the shelves 10 minutes into the show.Many great vendors and also good speaker line up.Got a couple SD Baits to try,kinda like Wileys in 6" jtd,also got some more H2O Cranky X 7" crankbaits in Niagara Walleye & Foil Walleye colors.
Over all we had a great time. Jomusky,pleasure meeting you! Talked with John Snow as well.Greg put on a very good show,to bad about the weather.
When we came out of the show to go to the truck to head back home at 6:15 pm there was 8" of fresh snow and more falling.We passed about 40 different incidents of car collision's or cars off the road on the slow in the snow 7 hour ride home,we got back to my house 1:15 am.. But well worth the road trip!

esoxfly
Posted 2/6/2011 6:10 PM (#480153 - in reply to #476806)

I'll echo what everyone has said. Weather killed it yesterday, and then the game killed it today. I thought it was a great show, well done, awesome vendors, great seminars, the whole thing. It was impressive. Agree with Chad in that a big "anchor" vendor was needed. A buddy from Indiana was going to come up when he saw R&H on the list, but then kinda lost interest when he heard they weren't going to be there. Those two places bring alot of people in, I think. But like has been said, I really hope this show happens again. Those that put it on should be proud, and I hope the vendors understand the low attendance and decide to be back.
MACONE
Posted 2/7/2011 4:50 AM (#480235 - in reply to #476806)

Great show !!! I drove from Wilmington , Ohio just to be there Saturday ,It was worth drive the vendors where great. I spent way too much money, but is sure was fun, I drove up there to meet John Snow but could not find him. I hope you have the show again next year.
gimo
Posted 2/7/2011 6:10 AM (#480238 - in reply to #479998)

This was a great show with all the custom bait guys. Yea, the snow was bad coming from the south and it was Super Bowl Sunday so that didn't help.
Won a great pack of door prizes and the Michigan MA guys could not have been more friendly.
Custom muskie baits, great prices on hotels in Dundee, Cabellas and Beef Jerky Unlimited across the street, what elese do you need.
Met up again with Todd from Leo Lures, Roger from H2O Tackle, The Red October guys, Mark Smith from Smuttly Dog, the new Lunge Lodge owners, Jason from Tooth Tamer, Justin from Crash's landing, and Tony Spicker form Big Game. Great to see you all again and hope you're there next year.
Jim
Ross Wagner
Posted 2/7/2011 8:23 AM (#480256 - in reply to #476806)

Greg: You did a great job. Take it from a musky show promoter, there is a lot of work that goes on in putting a show together that the general public does not see. I remember the Ohio Show's first year, my expetations, and then the reality. ( Greg you know what I mean). Spectators keep up the support, if it was not for you, these shows would not happen. The Ohio Muskie Show is three weeks away, lots of new stuff this year, www.ohiomuskieshow.com Ross
Kingfisher
Posted 2/7/2011 10:30 AM (#480284 - in reply to #476806)

Michelle and I did very well Saturday until about 3 pm when the weather really started sending people running for home. There was huge multiple car wreck on I-94 that stopped traffic there for three hours. I had several emails when I got home from guys who were coming that way and were stopped. Greg , You did a great job on the venue and ,the show and the entire organization. We will be back next year. I think that next year we will bring the full lineup with all 13 models of crank baits that we build. I ran out of 4 different colors of Talonz Slashers and had many guys asking where my bigger stuff was. Emails are already piling up for orders on things I didnt have. Next year I will be better prepared by having more depth per color and all of our products on hand. We had a great time. It was good seeing Mark(smuttly dog) , Tony,(big Game) meeting James from Tackle industry, Spanky, Kyle (smoker Tackle), Mike from Muskie Train, all the guys from St. Clair( you all did real well) The Ohio and Wisconsin guys, Tuff Shad, Musky hunter, and all the other great booths. It was great to be back in the loop and seeing what you all have been up to. We picked up some new soft Plastics for the tackle Box, Thanks to Will Schultz for helping me on my weakest area(choosing the right Bull dawgs). Rubber Hairy tackle cool stuff. I wanted to see some of the seminars but Someone had to watch the booth.

As a Michigan Muskie Alliance member Michelle and I would like to thank all the other vendors and everyone who came and took part in our first real Musky Show. I promise next year we will double what we had this year . Thanks to all, Mike and Michelle King Talonz wooden Lure Company
Slimeball
Posted 2/7/2011 11:01 AM (#480289 - in reply to #480040)

Chasin50 - 2/6/2011 8:26 AM

Really nice show... Great to finally have a show in Michigan. Hope it comes togather in the coming years. IMOHO, a big retailer like Thorne or R&H is needed. Would also like to see more bait makers from the Ohio, WV, PN area. Finally more people needed at the swap!

A great start to what hopefully becomes an annual event!

I thought it was a good idea NOT to have the big retailers like Rollies or Thornes there. Alot of vendors including myself do not like competing against a retailer that carries their line under the same roof.
You can order from them anytime in the comfort of your home....

Edited by Slimeball 2/7/2011 11:42 AM
Slimeball
Posted 2/7/2011 11:06 AM (#480290 - in reply to #480238)

gimo - 2/7/2011 7:10 AM

This was a great show with all the custom bait guys. Yea, the snow was bad coming from the south and it was Super Bowl Sunday so that didn't help.
Won a great pack of door prizes and the Michigan MA guys could not have been more friendly.
Custom muskie baits, great prices on hotels in Dundee, Cabellas and Beef Jerky Unlimited across the street, what elese do you need.
Met up again with Todd from Leo Lures, Roger from H2O Tackle, The Red October guys, Mark Smith from Smuttly Dog, the new Lunge Lodge owners, Jason from Tooth Tamer, Justin from Crash's landing, and Tony Spicker form Big Game. Great to see you all again and hope you're there next year.
Jim

Jim, it was great to see you. Glad you made the trip.
esoxfly
Posted 2/7/2011 12:25 PM (#480306 - in reply to #480289)

Slimeball - 2/7/2011 12:01 PM
Chasin50 - 2/6/2011 8:26 AM Really nice show... Great to finally have a show in Michigan. Hope it comes togather in the coming years. IMOHO, a big retailer like Thorne or R&H is needed. Would also like to see more bait makers from the Ohio, WV, PN area. Finally more people needed at the swap! A great start to what hopefully becomes an annual event!
I thought it was a good idea NOT to have the big retailers like Rollies or Thornes there. Alot of vendors including myself do not like competing against a retailer that carries their line under the same roof. You can order from them anytime in the comfort of your home....

Yes and no.  If I want a bait or specific item like a Stealth leader or Red October tube, I do go to the maker, then to MTO.  But remember we don't have a proper muskie shop anywhere near here.  So if we want to get blades, nets, Knipex, rods, reels, hooks, etc, it's really nice to walk in and pick it up.  I make it up to MN once a year to visit Mom and Dad and I actually save up to go into Thornes or R&H's on the way, vs buying online. 

Plus, isn't that what show colors are for?  To ensure the vendors/manufacturers have different baits you can't get at R&H or Thorne's at the show?  That was my understanding of how the bait makers brought product to the show that the stores didn't have.  I know alot of local LSC guys were bummed there wasn't a "store" there, as many for many of them, Cabela's is as close to a muskie store they've ever been in and they just wanted a hat or some good split ring pliers. 

I'm not saying your point of view isn't valid, it is and I appreciate it; I'm just saying from the customer's point of view, the stores are a big draw.

And got your PM on LSCN...thanks Jason.

Edited by esoxfly 2/7/2011 12:30 PM
Jomusky
Posted 2/7/2011 1:55 PM (#480324 - in reply to #476806)

Excellent show! An 8 hour drive but well worth it and I will be back for next year.

I like it that no big stores were there, but my Up North place is less then a mile from Rollies so I get plenty of trips there throughout the year. I can see where it would be nice for a big store to be there for some peeps. I do not think they should be allowed to have any of the lures represented by mfgs attending the show. I have heard stories how a big store gave a mfg a hard time about selling at a show and it should be the other way around. It sure was nice to see Suick able to sell baits instead of just a display booth. I was suprised and disappointed that Drifter Tackle wasn't there.

I am very pleased to have finally put faces to names like Captain Jones, Kingfisher, Will Schultz, Fred Pearson, Melody from Traxstech, and the one who keeps Greg in line (his wife). That was the best highlight of my trip.
Traxsman
Posted 2/7/2011 2:20 PM (#480330 - in reply to #480256)

Ross Wagner - 2/7/2011 9:23 AM

Greg: You did a great job. Take it from a musky show promoter, there is a lot of work that goes on in putting a show together that the general public does not see. I remember the Ohio Show's first year, my expetations, and then the reality. ( Greg you know what I mean). Spectators keep up the support, if it was not for you, these shows would not happen. The Ohio Muskie Show is three weeks away, lots of new stuff this year, www.ohiomuskieshow.com Ross

Thank you for fighting the elements and driving up to the show Saturday, it was good to see you.
Thanks for all your support Ross, it means alot to me. You are a good friend.
As for what it takes to do a show, it was a lot of work and we enjoyed it.
We have a group from LSCMI 58 that will be making it down to the Ohio Muskie Show.
I will take great pleasure in watching you go crazy, while I enjoy the show and catch up with friends, old and new.

Looking forward to the show,
~~Greg
jasonvkop
Posted 2/7/2011 4:26 PM (#480362 - in reply to #476806)

Definitely great to put some faces with names; great to finally meet James from Tackle Industries and Roger from H2O Tackle!
Traxsman
Posted 2/7/2011 4:27 PM (#480363 - in reply to #480330)

We would like to thank our Exhibitors and Attendees who fought "old man winter" to make our show a success.
In all honesty, we had a four hour show, from 10:00am-2:00pm Saturday.
The exhibitors loved our crowd and look forward to next years show.

For those of you that wonder why we decided to have the Michigan Muskie Show on Super Bowl weekend......we didn't.
That was the only weekend when the venue was not booked.
Our choice was simple, have the Michigan Muskie Show on Super Bowl weekend, or not at all.
Not a hard decision for this "Muskie Nut".

We will be back at the MBT Expo Center for the 2012 Michigan Muskie Show.
The 2012 MMS will be a three day event and we hope to have at least one day that is "BLIZZRD FREE".
We are already making improvements for next years show such as, all new Audio/Video equipment for the seminars, 100 seat enclosed seminar area, more stuff for the kids and even more manufacturers.
We are working to add some of the Canadian bait makers, Franky Bait, Bretts Bait, Hose, Woodie, St. Clair Hound, and others.
Our neighbors to the north make some great baits and many are considered "fine art" with treble hooks.

We've added Beckman Nets, Thanks to Captain Larry Jones.
Capt. Larry will also be one of our seminar speakers.
Todd Leopardi (Leo Lures - Elwood City, PA) is going to ask Dale Wiley to give our show a try.
There are many great things in the works right now.

We could use some help though.
We need to know.....
What products do you want to see? Knipex Cutters, reels, line, what else?
What manufacturers do you want to see? Shimano, Power Pro?
How about Seminar Speakers?

We WELCOME your feedback.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] with any suggestions.

Once again "Thank you",
~~Greg Ellison / Michigan Muskie Show

JimtenHaaf
Posted 2/7/2011 5:22 PM (#480383 - in reply to #476806)

I think this was an awesome show. Greg, you did a terrific job. I can't even imagine the headaches it takes to put something like this all together. Got to see some old friends, and meet plenty of new ones. Great to put faces with names from here as well. As said, it's too bad with the storm. If attendance would have kept climing like it did within the first 3 hours, it would've been shoulder to shoulder in there. Still, we signed up more people than we dreamed of for Chapter 47 (Michigan Muskie Alliance). There really seems to be a need for a show like this in that part of the state. I think a lot of people learned more than their brain could handle!
handlebarz
Posted 2/7/2011 5:53 PM (#480399 - in reply to #476806)

My daughter was bummed out when we could not go but like others with the snow it kept us away Sunday was a day of clearing snow at home the neighbors and my folks house. Then the big game at night I hope to see it come again next year so I can bring the family out for it.

Its nice to read all the great posts on the show and gives us that did not make it this year hope that it goes again next year.
Chasin50
Posted 2/7/2011 7:57 PM (#480434 - in reply to #476806)

Would like to see Mustad, VMC, Humminbird/Minn Kota, Jim Wilson, Howard Wagner, Todd Cleveland, Artifact, Shimano, Definatley Franky Baits, Sampo, Spro, Worth... Just to name a few... Seminar on reading new down/side imaging, seminar on muskie movement/seasonal patterns on LSC.
Traxsman
Posted 2/7/2011 9:53 PM (#480463 - in reply to #480434)

Chasin50 - 2/7/2011 8:57 PM

Would like to see Mustad, VMC, Humminbird/Minn Kota, Jim Wilson, Howard Wagner, Todd Cleveland, Artifact, Shimano, Definatley Franky Baits, Sampo, Spro, Worth... Just to name a few... Seminar on reading new down/side imaging, seminar on muskie movement/seasonal patterns on LSC.

That's what I need to know.
Thank you!
Keep it coming,
~~Greg
h2os2t
Posted 2/7/2011 10:20 PM (#480469 - in reply to #480434)

From a vendor's viewpoint: People were great, they came into the booth, looked and asked questions. My opinion they wanted this show.

The building is spotless and big with lots of parking. The amount of guys helping unload was unreal, backed up to the door and it was out and where it belonged in a blink. There was donuts (lots of them and good ones) and coffee in the morning. On Sat. night there was a vendor raffle that included a $100 gas card, and a free booth next year.

Weather sucked but cannot control that though.
Zib
Posted 2/7/2011 10:41 PM (#480472 - in reply to #480469)

h2os2t - 2/7/2011 11:20 PM

From a vendor's viewpoint: People were great, they came into the booth, looked and asked questions. My opinion they wanted this show.

The building is spotless and big with lots of parking. The amount of guys helping unload was unreal, backed up to the door and it was out and where it belonged in a blink. There was donuts (lots of them and good ones) and coffee in the morning. On Sat. night there was a vendor raffle that included a $100 gas card, and a free booth next year.

Weather sucked but cannot control that though.

I was one of the one's asking you questions. I meant to come back to your booth to buy a couple of X-Glides but my buddies rushed me out of there & I forgot. Guess I'll just have to order them off your site.

MuskieE
Posted 2/8/2011 10:50 AM (#480532 - in reply to #476806)

Would just like to say thank you to the wounderfull people I met at the show and a big thank you to everyone that supported us at the show!
msmith0903
Posted 2/9/2011 2:28 AM (#480678 - in reply to #476806)

The set up for the show was great. Local Muskie Inc. members were helping unload your stuff. That was a big help. My buddie had to back out at the last minute so I really appreciate the help. Greg did a great job. Weather is always a big queston. Had a sizeable snow storm last year in Columbus also. You just never know.

And while the flow of people did drop off as the storm increased, the ones left on saturday were there to buy. I think if the snow holds off next year this show could be a big one for the smaller baitmakers. I echo not wanting to compete with your retailers and do a bunch of custom colors to avoid that. also make some baits none of the retailers carry,yet!!!Thanks to all who helped with the show and the commaraderie while there.Mark Smith (Smuttly Dog Baits)

nimmerlures
Posted 2/9/2011 11:12 AM (#480744 - in reply to #476806)

can anyone tell me how the Michigan show went? how many vendors and how was the turnout? I may be interested in attending next year...was it easy to set up booth and get in venue?
esoxfly
Posted 2/9/2011 11:32 AM (#480750 - in reply to #480744)

nimmerlures - 2/9/2011 12:12 PM can anyone tell me how the Michigan show went? how many vendors and how was the turnout? I may be interested in attending next year...was it easy to set up booth and get in venue? :)

Have you read this thread?  I think every question you just asked has been addressed.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)