Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Pewaukee Lake reports

Message Subject: Pewaukee Lake reports
PSYS
Posted 7/1/2009 6:17 AM (#386578 - in reply to #376093)
Subject: Re: Pewaukee Lake reports

Copngrats on all the bites! Nice fish!!
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/1/2009 2:09 PM (#386649 - in reply to #376093)
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Lake reports

Pewaukee has been good to me and mine this season. Here are the two from last night. The 37 ate at my feet on the second turn of the big oval. She came out of a windblown weed edge where the wind was pounding in for two long days and nights. The shorty struck short at the end of the cast, only to attack a second time ten feet from the boat with an explosive strike. Great night to be out with another great friend. This lake has made some great memories for me and mine. Ran into Mike Koepp with a fish and took some pictures of him and Sandy holding up there catch. Mike, I'll email these to you.

Edited by Sam Ubl 7/1/2009 2:14 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(kneeling-37.jpg)

(broadside-koepp-sandyski.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments kneeling-37.jpg (192KB - 180 downloads)
Attachments broadside-koepp-sandyski.jpg (176KB - 159 downloads)
PSYS
Posted 7/5/2009 2:46 PM (#387163 - in reply to #376093)

OK.

I've never been to Pewaukee. Never been on the lake. Heck, never even been down to that area of the state before. A buddy of mine is letting me use his trailer and 16' aluminum boat. He mostly pan fishes and does NOT have a trolling motor. But I'm hell bent on getting out on the water tomorrow and more specifically, Pewaukee Lake.

I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants here... since I'm new to the sport of musky fishing, in general. If I launch on the east end of the lake... am I okay to simply drop anchor every so often and just fan cast the entire area... work shorelines, weed edges, docks, etc, etc? Is the east end of the lake producing at all? Not really looking for GPS coordinates... but it'd be cool to hook into something if I'm driving 80 miles for the day.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 7/5/2009 2:59 PM (#387167 - in reply to #387163)

Scott,

I would be happy to help you out. It's almost 3pm and I have a guide job at 4PM. I see you are fishing now from what I see on your post. Hope you stopped in at Smokey's Muskie Shop for a map and where to go. I share a lot of info with everyone at the shop. They can help you out anytime there.

Anyone looking to get out on Pewaukee should not feel bad asking for some spots and hot baits. We all practice catch and release so a few tip and some good info is always there for those who need a starting point. I for one am happy to help others get on some fish. Little late now for you Scott. I hope you have some good action.

The bite has been great. 25 muskies since Monday have came into my Frabil. Lost count of how many we raised, missed, or lost this past six days. Biggest was a 45-inch but lots of 40-inch class fish seen and caught.
PSYS
Posted 7/5/2009 3:08 PM (#387169 - in reply to #376093)

Mike:

Thanks for the reply! I'm heading out tomorrow with my girlfriend. I'll definitely stop in at Smokie's and see what they have to say. I've read too many good things about this lake to NOT try it out tomorrow... I took a last minute vacation day tomorrow. My girlfriend and I haven't had a day off together in a little while so we're going musky fishing. I'm a huge advocate of catch & release and simply want to get on a fish or two. My girlfriend hasn't even seen a musky in person so I'm just looking for a relaxing day out on the water with her tomorrow.

No pressure. No stress. Just dropping the anchor every so often and casting at our leisure in order to hook into a toothy critter or two.

Thanks again for the reply!
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 7/6/2009 4:07 PM (#387340 - in reply to #376093)

I hit Pewaukee today on my day off. Tried all my normal spots with bucktails, DCG, Suicks, gliders, but saw nothing. It started to get a bit windy so I before I packed it in I decided to head back toward the launch and drift the north shore a bit starting just west of the condos. As a last desperation move I put on my new favorite bait the Lindy Tiger Tube. On about the tenth cast or so I pop a 31". After a quick CPR I reposition the boat on the same weedline and about a dozen casts later I pop a 34" on the same bait. After another CPR I continue on down the weed edge and have one more follow on the Tiger Tube before packing it in about 1:00.

My fish were tight to the weedeline. I was casting just up to the weededge and working the bait out like a jerkbait.

Tom

(31 Pewaukee_July 6 2009.jpg)

(34 Pewaukee_July 6 2009.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 31 Pewaukee_July 6 2009.jpg (60KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 34 Pewaukee_July 6 2009.jpg (58KB - 140 downloads)
PSYS
Posted 7/7/2009 6:57 AM (#387423 - in reply to #376093)

I went out yesterday on Pewaukee for the first time with my girlfriend. Very humbling experience, indeed. A friend of mine let me borrow his boat for the day and it isn't exactly set-up for musky fishing. He mostly fishes for panfish so I had a small outboard motor and an anchor and that was about it. No trolling motor.

My girlfriend and I were on the water by 6 a.m. and launched on the east side of the lake. I started casting by some docks on that side of the lake and immediately had a blow up on a top water lure I was using... but the fish either striked too slow or too short... and either way, it missed the bait. Pretty exciting, nonetheless.

I basically worked my way around the entire perimeter of the lake (no depthfinder on board either) and aside from that one blow-up on the topwater earlier that morning... we didn't even see another fish. I basically threw everything but the kitchen sink at 'em. Topwater, bucktails, spinnerbaits, DCG's, Showgirls... but never even so much as had a follow.

Either way, it was a nice day to be on the water but we were off around 12:30 p.m. or so. As Tom mentioned previously, the wind began to pick-up a bit. I would definitely go back to Pewaukee again now that I've been there... and it really wasn't too bad of a drive from Oshkosh. We were at the launch in about 70... 75 min. I'd say.
WIsheds
Posted 7/12/2009 9:43 PM (#388266 - in reply to #376093)

Raised 7 this afternoon. Couldnt get any of em to eat. Almost caught a wakeboarder that was a little too close.
Zak olson
Posted 7/12/2009 10:17 PM (#388273 - in reply to #388266)

Caught a 32" and lost 2 others and my gf got her first figure 8 fish a 39"...gashed her finger pretty bad,but she's proud of her battle wound. This past week her n I got 8 skis up to 44" which Erica caught...her pb. My dad got a 48" couple weeks ago and my brother has 7 this year as well. We are rolling in a 619 maroon ranger, I see Sam ubl out there alot, so drop a hello. I will post some pics later
WIsheds
Posted 7/13/2009 7:35 AM (#388307 - in reply to #376093)

zak. i was in the alumacraft to your west when your gf caught that fish. Looked like a nice healthy fish. Congrats.
Zak Olson
Posted 7/13/2009 11:29 AM (#388353 - in reply to #388307)

Yeah I seen you...I was trying to get her to grab the fish from the net because everytime she catches one she'll say "next fish im grabbing myself", but yet again she bailed out lol, it's ok...one day she will. Once I gave the fish to her she posed for the camera and right when she was going to release it started flipping out, she held on like a trooper, but in the process of that going out she got gashed pretty good. I always insist on her wearing a glove....she doesnt like the look of it though. Well I'm at work today when she tells me that she went to the doctors, the doctor said she needed stitches, but because it was an animal she couldnt get them (which don't make sense to me but w/e). She can't fish for 5 days and has some meds for the pain :(, it was kind of a bittersweet situation. She is stoked though it was her first figure 8 fish, went airborne 3 times.

I'd have to say im one proud boyfriend, she has come a loooong way from last year. It's been a full year since she started, she got 1 last year and has 7 this year already all on pewaukee.
WIsheds
Posted 7/13/2009 5:12 PM (#388434 - in reply to #376093)

I was wondering why she stopped throwing after she caught that fish but that makes sense now. Hopefully she heals up fast. I raised several fish right in that area where she hooked up so I wonder if that waas one of them.
zak olson
Posted 7/13/2009 8:24 PM (#388466 - in reply to #388434)

yeah I got 2 37s on friday back to back casts.....My brother got 2 in that same spot, it sure does get pounded, but the right time you can get one to go. She tried fishing today, but was a bit harder. She's resting for our AML trip in 12 days, cya out there.
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/16/2009 8:15 AM (#388916 - in reply to #376093)

Yesterday was a day I won't soon forget! 4 fish in the boat in just over 3 hours, lost three BIG fish, missed three short strikes, one on topwater from a serious beast of a fish. Over a dozen follows between me and my partner. His first and second musky casting, as well as one of those being first figure 8 fish. So we both doubled up, making the evening worth celebrating. It was HOT!

Edited by Sam Ubl 7/16/2009 8:16 AM
WIsheds
Posted 7/17/2009 7:22 AM (#389126 - in reply to #376093)

Good night to be pout last night. Boated a 41, lost two more due to a hack net job, and saw seven others. The 41 hit a mag dawg on the figure 8. Came out of nowhere and t boned it. Probably my coolest strike. Seen most of the fish on bucktails. Ill try and get a pic up soon.
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/17/2009 9:36 AM (#389144 - in reply to #376093)

Buddies doubled up last night with one fish lost mid-way back to the boat. Still fishing weeds and throwing blades.
Zak Olson
Posted 7/17/2009 12:34 PM (#389192 - in reply to #389144)

rough night for me, should have boated my biggest fish in wisconsin but lost it...that'll hurt for awhile. Going back out tonight hopefully to get the skunk out of the boat.
muskyhunter24
Posted 7/18/2009 9:16 PM (#389352 - in reply to #376093)

Jay and I went out to Pewaukee today, it was the first time we had ever fished the lake. We were out from 6:30 am to 7 pm, raised 2 fish total. I caught this 41.5" which was the only fish I raised all day. She happened to be the first muskie that I had ever caught on a bucktail, first muskie I had caught out of a boat, and first muskie I have had eat in the "8". She inhaled it on the second turn and was caught right around sun over head.

(1st bucktail muskie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1st bucktail muskie.jpg (90KB - 139 downloads)
bigbite
Posted 7/19/2009 9:58 AM (#389391 - in reply to #389352)

Way to go Jeff. Nice fish!!
PSYS
Posted 7/20/2009 6:37 AM (#389500 - in reply to #376093)

Nice lookin' Pewaukee musky!
Zak Olson
Posted 7/20/2009 12:41 PM (#389562 - in reply to #389500)

I fished pewaukee friday got a 43" and my brother got a 33.5", seen 9 others including one real hawg we raised 4 different times. My buddy I took out that never caught a musky, seen a couple real nice fish and lost one at boatside so he was pretty pumped. Went out saturday with just me fishing, girlfriend had net duties since she's still not fishing. Ending up getting 4 on saturday 30, 32.5, 34, and a 43, also lost 1 more fish early in the morning when I was by myself. All the fish still coming on blades and topwater. Pretty good weekend for the crappy weather we had. Didn't find a real pattern though, fish are really scattered all over, weedlines, flats and off the weedlines suspending. Still seeing bluegills off my pier so as long as they are there, I'm casting. Good weekend overall, 6 more days till AML. Ran into sam ubl on friday, he was slaughtering them also in 30 minutes he had two, took a picture of his 2nd one.
greg m
Posted 7/20/2009 1:21 PM (#389566 - in reply to #376093)

Pewaukee's been tough on me this year...had my share of follows but not much to show for it. I was taking my son-in-law out Friday night for his second-time-ever muskie fishing and wanted to do everything I could to show him some action. I talked to Mike Koepp who gave me some great info which was spot on!! We had a great time and fish in the boat! Mike is one great guy who is clearly dialed into the lake and the fish. Thanx again, Bro. Gonna hafta sell some lures so I can raise the cash to hire Captain Mike...I know it'll be worth it!
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/21/2009 8:35 AM (#389675 - in reply to #376093)

Accepted an invitation to hop on board Steve Van Lieshouts boat with my wife and had a hell of a time. Steve hosted us like we were guests in his house, giving up the front of his boat, clipping one of his hottest baits onto Christies rod and keeping the night alive with great stories and plenty of laughter. Catching a fish was just icing on the cake as we could have gone all night without the action we had and thought nothing of it. It sure was a pretty night with the sun setting the way it did. Christie had a high 30's flash off before she had a fair chance at it, Steve had a few decent fish up to the boat, including one or two in the low 40ish range. I had one cookie cutter come in hot that I pulled the bait away from and another, about 34ish, come in so aggressively it hit on my first turn, missed it, and on the second revolution, smacked it again. Hooked up for a couple of seconds before she came un-glued and off she went. The next cast would put a good fish in the net and high fives were had. I hope the floating veg floats ashore soon, in some places it's just so hard to deal with. These cool nights, although awkward for July, makes for less bites and as Steve pointed out, safer releases for these fish with the cooler surface temps than the usual 80+ temps for this time of year.

Thanks again Steve for a memorable day on the water, you're a stand up guy like I've heard from so many.
Esox-Hunter
Posted 7/21/2009 12:11 PM (#389713 - in reply to #389675)

My girlfriend and I along with a good buddy were out on Sunday and ended up boating a nice 34". Goodtime slowed down after we boated this fish.

S.Kiliips
Mikes Extreme
Posted 7/21/2009 6:17 PM (#389789 - in reply to #389566)

Glad to help some Greg. Very nice to see you score. I have been very busy on the water every night after my day job. I have to say this is by far the longest casting bite I have ever seen. Usually the trolling bite is rocking by this time and casting is just early morning and evenings well into the night.

The cool water temperatures has kept the bigger fish working the weeds way longer this season. This make for some extended casting action which I love. My problem is a lot of my regulars have booked trolling trips with kids, dads, granpa's, girl friends, wifes, etc. This means I can't just hand them rods with DC9's and DCG's. I have to trolling and produce with all the floating weeds all over the lake. YUCK, my soar arms, clean those rods and boards guide man. LOL

It's not that bad but most of the time I am watching people I know tear up the weedlines as I troll outside of them. I wish I could troll the weed edges but with all the reports on lake-link and other sites the lake is more packed with fishermen than I ever seen before. Every spot is getting pounded but fish are still being caught.

Lot's of fish being caught trolling also but not the numbers out there as usual for this time of the season. More fish still in the weeds because the pan fish are still in also. Some bait out deep but not the migration July usually has. Less fish deep makes it hard to score multiple fish trolling. I still have over a two fish average trolling but it's been extra hard to score out there. Casting has been a blast this month. I will post a few pictures for you to see some Pewaukee fish from this first half of July.

Check out my website for a more detailed report. http://mikekoepp.com

(7-2-09john38_2x1.jpg)

(7-2-09mike39_2x1.jpg)

(7-2-09jonny45_2x1.jpg)

(7-3-09adam40_2x1.jpg)

(7-5-09mikie36_2x1.jpg)

(7-5-09mikie37_2x1.jpg)

(7-7-09jtdad2x1.jpg)

(7-8-09jt2x1.jpg)

(7-7-09travis2x1.jpg)

(7-9-09budz2x1.jpg)

(7-3-09mike34_2x1.jpg)

(7-3-09adam32_2x1.jpg)

(7-8-09jt2x1.jpg)

(7-12-09fat37_2x1.jpg)

(7-14-09lungen44_2x1.jpg)

(7-16-09grandpa_son37_2x1.jpg)

(7-16-09threegenerations42_2x1.jpg)

(pewaukeerocks2x1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 7-2-09john38_2x1.jpg (40KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments 7-2-09mike39_2x1.jpg (42KB - 118 downloads)
Attachments 7-2-09jonny45_2x1.jpg (39KB - 121 downloads)
Attachments 7-3-09adam40_2x1.jpg (35KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments 7-5-09mikie36_2x1.jpg (43KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 7-5-09mikie37_2x1.jpg (40KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments 7-7-09jtdad2x1.jpg (40KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 7-8-09jt2x1.jpg (39KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments 7-7-09travis2x1.jpg (34KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments 7-9-09budz2x1.jpg (36KB - 102 downloads)
Attachments 7-3-09mike34_2x1.jpg (36KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments 7-3-09adam32_2x1.jpg (39KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments 7-8-09jt2x1.jpg (39KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments 7-12-09fat37_2x1.jpg (38KB - 107 downloads)
Attachments 7-14-09lungen44_2x1.jpg (35KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments 7-16-09grandpa_son37_2x1.jpg (45KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 7-16-09threegenerations42_2x1.jpg (41KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments pewaukeerocks2x1.jpg (42KB - 99 downloads)
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/28/2009 9:34 AM (#390834 - in reply to #376093)

This month of July has shown surface temps more reminiscent of June than past July's. With temps in the low to mid-70's, where the norm for July ranges in the low 80's, it's a shame to see and here about floaters, yet I have been introduced to 5 as of late in the past two weeks. Two days ago a 50+ fish was found floating in the basin, which is pictured below (stole the pics off LL). I made a post to remind the less experienced to practice safe handling to avoid more deaths.

Edited by Sam Ubl 7/28/2009 11:07 AM

(newuploads033.jpg)

(newuploads034.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments newuploads033.jpg (15KB - 150 downloads)
Attachments newuploads034.jpg (17KB - 119 downloads)
capt. ahab
Posted 7/28/2009 9:56 AM (#390838 - in reply to #376093)

if you guys like more pressue, keep posting pictures and reports. Maybe it will draw some of the guys on the lakes in Madison to come down there! ; )
Good work fellas!
PSYS
Posted 7/29/2009 6:29 AM (#391037 - in reply to #390838)

capt. ahab - 7/28/2009 9:56 AM

if you guys like more pressue, keep posting pictures and reports. Maybe it will draw some of the guys on the lakes in Madison to come down there! ; )
Good work fellas!

LOL.

This ought to be good.
Hang on... let me get some popcorn.
Sam Ubl
Posted 7/29/2009 9:51 AM (#391092 - in reply to #376093)

Managed a couple hours after jumping on board a friends boat shortly after 7 last night. The water is finally getting back to it's normal cloudy color for this time of year - man was it clear up until now.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 8/1/2009 12:25 PM (#391745 - in reply to #391092)

Posting here is not the problem. Lake-Link is the worst place to post because that is the place most rookies will got to first. After they are more into the sport they start getting on more serious fishing websites. I have not posted on lake link for over ten years.

Newspaper articals from local guides and lake-link is the biggest problem with new inexperianced anglers getting out on the lakes to hit the HOT BITE.

Posting here is more for the seasoned angler. This is the only site I post on to help others enjoy the outdoors. This is the most informative and TEACHING muskie website on the internet in my opinion. People come here to learn and share. You can be part of it or complain about it.

Lakes like Pewaukee, Okauchee, Madison lakes and others will always get pounded. Posting on this site will not increase problems on the area lakes. Posting on some of the other sites will get more poeple on the water. Trust me, I get e-mails every day from people who read reports on Lake-Link and want to hire a guide. I talk to people weekely that tell me of Lake-Link reports and mishandling of fish. Heck, I see it all summer long on the water.

I am always iffy to post any reports but this site I have been with since before it was MuskieFirst back when it started as Muskiecentral. Great site here and a perfect place to get some info from good fishermen who like to share pics and some info.

If anyone doesn't believe me about this site just keep up with lake-link and this site and see where the rookies post. You will see this site is by far the best out there for people to learn from.

Again if anyone wants to help the rookie mistakes on the water please feel free to post helpfull tips and reminders on this site or expecially Lake-Link. I don't even post or read anything on other site. No internet time for me with two full time jobs.

Sounds like I am ripping on Lake-Link but the site is not the problem, it's the people who use it. Be part of the problem or the solution. Thats your choice. If people want to help others you should post helpfull info on the sites. Take some time and post positive feedback not negitive stuff.

Fish are dying because they are brought into the boats, picture sessions and dropped. They swim off but delayed mortality gets them after they swim off. I have seen 5 fish dropped this season and countless pictures taken of fish. Two quick pictures and back into the water is all it takes. A fish should never get brought into the boat and put on the floor ever. Big nets are the ticket. Livewells in the water.

Best tip to tell anyone who is new to the sport is: Take a deep breath when you take the fish out of the water, when you need air, so does that fish. Keep that in mind next time you bring a fish out of the water to take some pictures. The higher the water temps the more important this rule is.

Sam, thanks for the picture to keep delayed mortality in the minds of all of us who catch and release fish. Posting good advice on websites is huge. Please post sugestions on other site to help teach people the proper ways to handle fish.

As a full time guide I teach every aspect of muskie fishing. Catching them is only a small part of the learning. Handling fish is a huge part of what I stress to evey client. Everyone starts as a rookie sometime. If everyone just helped someone or posted a few tips we would make a difference. Try it, it feels good to know you are helping others build our fish future better and better.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)