Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A Muskies Inc question

Message Subject: A Muskies Inc question
CincySkeez
Posted 1/29/2020 5:22 PM (#953215 - in reply to #953214)
Subject: Re: A Muskies Inc question

Theres a difference between children and young adults who have jobs in the geography.

That said, I know chapters could be more transparent/brag a little more about how their lobbying efforts have improved the fisheries.
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2020 5:30 PM (#953216 - in reply to #953210)

CincySkeez - 1/29/2020 4:16 PM

Perhaps the older crowds resistance to take the word of the targeted demo speaks to the issue as well. Seeing younger people on the water or at shows is good. The explanation as to why certain chapters skew older is unique to each chapter.

The decline in participation (in outdoor activities) writ large is the issue, and the reason people can't access the outdoors is lack of financial resources. I'll stop beating my head against the wall now.

The observation about the big increase in younger muskie anglers on the water and at the shows is accurate. I've seen both, both are areas I work in, and the numbers are real.

I'm not 'resisting' your assessment, it just doesn't match the data I have or my personal observations. I'm looking to address why the significant increase in younger muskie anglers and female anglers in general out there is not translating to more MI members. It's not the few dollars it costs to become a member, but it certainly could be seen as superfluous due to a lack of continuing education and therefore a lack of knowledge of the history of the sport. I won't stop 'beating my head against the wall' partly because it's my job, and partly because it's something I really believe in. Thanks for your insight, it's appreciated.

I was very happy to see the increase in number of younger families at the Chicago show this year.
TCESOX
Posted 1/29/2020 5:39 PM (#953217 - in reply to #952940)

If someone is really struggling financially, and having a hard time making rent or putting gas in their truck, I certainly understand that they couldn't afford to do much of anything recreationally, that costs any money. However, I don't think that is the case with most of who we are talking about. Even though many outdoor pursuits have seen a decline in numbers, muskie fishing is one of the few, that has actually seen a tremendous amount of growth over the last decade. This growth is not driven by 50+ year olds. I would venture that MI memberships have been fairly stable over the last 15 or more years, but the number of people chasing muskies has exploded. That is really the question, regardless how old these folks are. How do we get them to join?
esoxaddict
Posted 1/29/2020 5:58 PM (#953220 - in reply to #952940)

Free Wi-Fi on the boat?
CincySkeez
Posted 1/29/2020 5:59 PM (#953221 - in reply to #953217)

it's exploded because who the heck wouldnt want to catch one of these fish!

You guys are right, I missed the point that membership growth is the goal. I guess it's like any campaigning where you have to be belly to belly with people making them aware of the benefits that a certain group has provided. Most musky anglers are willing to listen to data driven arguments, and the data is certainly there to persuade people into seeing how Muskies Inc. has benefitted them personally. The org has improved fisheries everywhere. I just know a lot of the fisherman I hang out with are elated that I'm taking them out and talk about how they can't wait to buy a boat and gear when they have enough financial stability. I see that as a deterrent to membership, because those people give a #*^@ and would give back if they could.

Either way, have to spread the gospel and constantly fight the misinformation around stocking to spread the word.
RLSea
Posted 1/29/2020 8:47 PM (#953229 - in reply to #952940)

I believe Cincy when he says it's the money, but I think it's more. I think it's also the personal time (PTO). Like I said before, when I was supporting a growing family I had no time for this kind of recreation even though I did take a week a year to fish with buddies. And I went to the fishing shows with friends - i.e. when the Lindners frequented the shows at the Rosemont in Chicago. But could I be involved in a club with the outings, meetings, and charitable activities? No way. It's only when I've grown older with the kids supporting themselves and more disposable time and income, as well as a sense of legacy that I've become active in the club. I'm starting to think that this may be common.
ToddM
Posted 1/30/2020 7:16 AM (#953237 - in reply to #953229)

RLSea - 1/29/2020 8:47 PM

I believe Cincy when he says it's the money, but I think it's more. I think it's also the personal time (PTO). Like I said before, when I was supporting a growing family I had no time for this kind of recreation even though I did take a week a year to fish with buddies. And I went to the fishing shows with friends - i.e. when the Lindners frequented the shows at the Rosemont in Chicago. But could I be involved in a club with the outings, meetings, and charitable activities? No way. It's only when I've grown older with the kids supporting themselves and more disposable time and income, as well as a sense of legacy that I've become active in the club. I'm starting to think that this may be common.

If it were those things it would translate the same to being at the show and on the water. It's not. The point of this discussion is to try and figure out how to make M.I important to this demographic and get them involved. They would be a huge benefit and bring the organization to where to needs to be where it is lacking. This will not be easy because the scenario is a catch 22, they will get involved after they they become involved.

Edited by ToddM 1/30/2020 7:18 AM
ChicagolandMusk
Posted 1/30/2020 8:15 AM (#953242 - in reply to #952940)

Recruit younger members through social media, shows, club meetings, and on the water / at the boat ramps.

Social Media - Does each chapter have a facebook page that is regularly updated with events and pictures of fish? How about a daily twitter feed? Youtube channel?

Shows - Are all the local clubs represented? Are people talking to targeted demographic or just looking at them funny?

Club Meetings - Why not offer free admission to your target audience? Buy a brew for a potential members? Be welcoming to new folks? Have good speakers and fun monthly meetings?

On the water - The boat launch is a common place where fishermen gather. Talk to younger folks out fishing and ask if they've heard of the club/want to join. Some of the club run tournaments. What about offering a discounted rate for specific age groups?

It wouldn't be easy but this is how I think you would be able to draw the younger guys in.

Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/30/2020 9:07 AM (#953246 - in reply to #952940)

Maybe find a youngster or two who are well versed at social media, and ask them to run the chapter's social media page? Members, guides and resorts would likely be generous with photos and content if they saw youngsters contributing.
ToddM
Posted 1/30/2020 10:07 AM (#953247 - in reply to #953242)

ChicagolandMusk - 1/30/2020 8:15 AM

Recruit younger members through social media, shows, club meetings, and on the water / at the boat ramps.

Social Media - Does each chapter have a facebook page that is regularly updated with events and pictures of fish? How about a daily twitter feed? Youtube channel?

Shows - Are all the local clubs represented? Are people talking to targeted demographic or just looking at them funny?

Club Meetings - Why not offer free admission to your target audience? Buy a brew for a potential members? Be welcoming to new folks? Have good speakers and fun monthly meetings?

On the water - The boat launch is a common place where fishermen gather. Talk to younger folks out fishing and ask if they've heard of the club/want to join. Some of the club run tournaments. What about offering a discounted rate for specific age groups?

It wouldn't be easy but this is how I think you would be able to draw the younger guys in.

We do all of this except buy them a beer.
undersized
Posted 1/30/2020 1:40 PM (#953266 - in reply to #953237)

ToddM - 1/30/2020 7:16 AM
The point of this discussion is to try and figure out how to make M.I important to this demographic and get them involved. They would be a huge benefit and bring the organization to where to needs to be where it is lacking.

Everyone always says it's important to get youth and younger adults involved in Muskies Inc., but the reasons are usually vague and assumed. "The youth are our future!" or some such meaningless platitude.
So, why is it important to get younger anglers more involved in Muskies Inc.?
Where does Muskies Inc. "need to be"? Where is it "lacking"? How exactly would having more 18-35 year old members address this?
esoxaddict
Posted 1/30/2020 1:51 PM (#953268 - in reply to #953266)

How much longer can the 55+ over crowd sustain M.I.?? If we don't get younger folks involved, what happens to M.I. in 30 years when we're all off the water for good?

Maintaining a muskie fishery is one hell of an expensive endeavor. No money = no stocking = no more muskies in most of the places we fish for them, and probably no new lakes in the future.

Edited by esoxaddict 1/30/2020 2:00 PM
undersized
Posted 1/30/2020 2:05 PM (#953269 - in reply to #953268)

How much longer can the 55+ over crowd sustain M.I.?? If we don't get younger folks involved, what happens to M.I. in 30 years when we're all off the water for good?

What age do people tend to GET involved in these kinds of groups?
The majority of Muskies Inc members didn't all join 30 years ago when they were 25 years old and age up.
muskyhunter07
Posted 1/30/2020 2:31 PM (#953274 - in reply to #953269)

I'm 31 and most members in my club are in or over 50 years old. I would 90% of the club is that way.
TCESOX
Posted 1/30/2020 5:20 PM (#953282 - in reply to #953269)

undersized - 1/30/2020 2:05 PM

What age do people tend to GET involved in these kinds of groups?
The majority of Muskies Inc members didn't all join 30 years ago when they were 25 years old and age up.

This is a good point. I didn't even start muskie fishing until my late 30s. I was way into walleye fishing before that. In my mid-forties, I quit playing baseball, quit playing golf, quit coaching hight school wrestling. I actually joined Muskies Inc. at a muskie show, when I walked by a booth, and thought it might be a good social replacement for the activities I no longer participated in. While I had been muskie fishing for a number of years before joining, and did know of MIs existence, it never occurred to me to join any club, as I was so busy with other actives on top of fishing.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/30/2020 5:38 PM (#953283 - in reply to #953282)

I joined when I was 34, around the time I started muskie fishing.

Prior to that, I never knew there was such an organization. I was pretty hard core into fishing for 30 years before that, and muskie fishing was one of those bucket list kind of things that I'd get around to one day. Then an old work colleague called me up and said "Hey, you wanna go musky fishing?" "yeah, man. I've always wanted to try that!"

If I ever see him again, I might just punch him in the nose....
RLSea
Posted 1/30/2020 7:30 PM (#953289 - in reply to #952940)

Good discussion. I have seen a membership increase in our chapter in the target demographic in the last few years. These recruits came from the group of fishermen and women who didn't necessarily target muskies until now. I believe there will be good recruitment in the near future from this same group if we can continue to show them the benefits of belonging. That is why MI founding fathers made getting youth involved in fishing a priority, and not just muskie fishing. I, for one, got more joy out of helping my granddaughters catch their first bass than personally catching a muskie. This is where our next group of recruits will come from.
sworrall
Posted 1/30/2020 8:23 PM (#953290 - in reply to #953289)

RLSea - 1/30/2020 7:30 PM

Good discussion. I have seen a membership increase in our chapter in the target demographic in the last few years. These recruits came from the group of fishermen and women who didn't necessarily target muskies until now. I believe there will be good recruitment in the near future from this same group if we can continue to show them the benefits of belonging. That is why MI founding fathers made getting youth involved in fishing a priority, and not just muskie fishing. I, for one, got more joy out of helping my granddaughters catch their first bass than personally catching a muskie. This is where our next group of recruits will come from.

This.

What the younger muskie anglers out there don't know, they don't know. When it's about MI, it's in the organizations best interest to tell them. To do that, one has to be talking to them. That's a great start.
fishdawg
Posted 1/31/2020 5:47 AM (#953300 - in reply to #952940)

If we are going to catch these fish, we have to understand them and want to catch them.

How good is our social media game and how can it be better? What does the club do to intentionally reach out to new members? Are older members willing to see the culture of the club change if new members from a different generation arrive?

Does the club have a presence on YouTube? How about a YouTuber willing to make a video of a club outing?
ToddM
Posted 1/31/2020 7:35 AM (#953308 - in reply to #953266)

undersized - 1/30/2020 1:40 PM

The point of this discussion is to try and figure out how to make M.I important to this demographic and get them involved. They would be a huge benefit and bring the organization to where to needs to be where it is lacking.

Everyone always says it's important to get youth and younger adults involved in Muskies Inc., but the reasons are usually vague and assumed. "The youth are our future!" or some such meaningless platitude.
Where does Muskies Inc. "need to be"? Where is it "lacking"? How exactly would having more 18-35 year old members address this?

Strength in numbers, strength in modernization, better financial strength. It's so easier to bring more people in when the club is diverse. It gives the clubs a better ability to raise funds to stock, fund the DNR, research and youth activities. The more people, the more are involved, the more abilities we have and making the club younger the better it will be to get people involved at a younger age. The easier it will be to use the social platforms needed. Many of these clubs are two moves from the end of a jenga game, some are just one. M.I. may be very different in the next 10 years if we don't.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/31/2020 7:53 AM (#953310 - in reply to #953308)

ToddM - 1/31/2020 7:35 AM

Strength in numbers, strength in modernization, better financial strength. It's so easier to bring more people in when the club is diverse. It gives the clubs a better ability to raise funds to stock, fund the DNR, research and youth activities. The more people, the more are involved, the more abilities we have and making the club younger the better it will be to get people involved at a younger age. The easier it will be to use the social platforms needed. Many of these clubs are two moves from the end of a jenga game, some are just one. M.I. may be very different in the next 10 years if we don't.

I think it would be so easy for the clubs to modernize and attract younger people, but for some reason they just don't. Social media is the easiest way to do it and yet the local club here hasn't touched their page since 2018. Brainerd does a pretty good job of it though.
chasintails
Posted 1/31/2020 8:37 AM (#953317 - in reply to #952940)

Is Lee Tauchen a Muskies Inc Member? If not MI should consider sponsoring him and his You Tube Channel Todays Angler. Times have changed as have media influences most younger kids watch you tube or tick tock more then regular TV. If some one like Lee or Robbie were pushing the benifits and recruiting I think a connection could be made. Does Muskies Inc even have a promotional you tube video, because I'm not seeing one.
sworrall
Posted 1/31/2020 9:14 AM (#953321 - in reply to #953317)

They have a promotional video on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/118841754815660/videos/811155815911084/

sworrall
Posted 1/31/2020 9:39 PM (#953351 - in reply to #953310)

Kirby Budrow - 1/31/2020 7:53 AM

ToddM - 1/31/2020 7:35 AM

I think it would be so easy for the clubs to modernize and attract younger people, but for some reason they just don't. Social media is the easiest way to do it and yet the local club here hasn't touched their page since 2018. Brainerd does a pretty good job of it though.

This. We are heading in the right direction. As I said, I'm optimistic.

ToddM
Posted 2/3/2020 12:02 PM (#953422 - in reply to #952940)

The issue is getting this younger crowd to be a part of something bigger, something that benefits musky fishing. The social platforms are about individuality, not belonging to something collective or for the collective good.

Just what the Illinois clubs have done with the pond netting alone is worth it. Fingerling recruitment from the ponds went from 30-40% to 80-90%. Now we have a more consistent stocking effort year after year and much easier to manage. The nets are not a one and done deal they have to be maintained and replaced which we do when needed.

Edited by ToddM 2/3/2020 12:06 PM
North of 8
Posted 2/3/2020 12:29 PM (#953424 - in reply to #953422)

ToddM - 2/3/2020 12:02 PM

The issue is getting this younger crowd to be a part of something bigger, something that benefits musky fishing. The social platforms are about individuality, not belonging to something collective or for the collective good.

Just what the Illinois clubs have done with the pond netting alone is worth it. Fingerling recruitment from the ponds went from 30-40% to 80-90%. Now we have a more consistent stocking effort year after year and much easier to manage. The nets are not a one and done deal they have to be maintained and replaced which we do when needed.

I disagree about social media and collective good. A great example from a few years ago was the "ice water" challenge that took the simple premise of getting a bucket of ice water dumped on your head for the sake of raising money for ALS research. That was almost exclusively a social media effort and it raised millions of dollars for ALS research. Same with GoFundMe for folks in need. One of my son's former team mates developed testicular cancer and had a lot of unreimbursed medical expenses. Friends of his from multiple states connected on social media, started a page, got the word out and raised over 10 grand to help him out in a couple weeks time.
ToddM
Posted 2/3/2020 10:44 PM (#953449 - in reply to #953424)

North of 8 - 2/3/2020 12:29 PM

ToddM - 2/3/2020 12:02 PM

I disagree about social media and collective good. A great example from a few years ago was the "ice water" challenge that took the simple premise of getting a bucket of ice water dumped on your head for the sake of raising money for ALS research. That was almost exclusively a social media effort and it raised millions of dollars for ALS research. Same with GoFundMe for folks in need. One of my son's former team mates developed testicular cancer and had a lot of unreimbursed medical expenses. Friends of his from multiple states connected on social media, started a page, got the word out and raised over 10 grand to help him out in a couple weeks time.

I don't disagree but those are causes everyone can get behind. Musky causes are not as much. IMHO having an already established organization with members at the ready would be a better approach. Musky matters are only going to gain so much momentum.
ColdLabatts
Posted 2/4/2020 8:30 AM (#953455 - in reply to #953009)

Ruddiger - 1/26/2020 7:29 AM

Howdy,

I've been a MI member since the 90's but only went to two meetings in my life. Even then it was for a chapter that was starting in my area and then I moved for work.

I've always joined in an unafiliated status because I believe deeply in the sport and in continuing the work that MI has done to expand and protect the resource.

That said, I believe the old quote "we have met the enemy, and he is us" applies to this situation. Sadly, many of the muskie fisherman I have met over the last 30 years are jerks. They carry themselves with an arrogance that turns people off (even to other muskie fisherman).

Add in all the secrecy, the condescending attitudes towards other fisherman, lectures about proper holds and releases, not to mention the constant digs over a big fish that's "not as big as the person stays it is" and it all becomes fatiguing. All of the stereotypical millennial/snowflake comments that get repeated about younger fisherman only makes it worse. It's no wonder they tune us out and move on with their life.

For me, I'm still happy to donate and be a MI member, but I don't have the time or desire to wade through the nonsense to find the benefits to being active in a club.

Take care,

Ruddiger

Preach!
OffshoreDrilling
Posted 2/6/2020 9:33 PM (#953584 - in reply to #952940)
Subject: RE: A Muskies Inc question

Chiming in here as someone in the age bracket mentioned, a new Muskies Inc. Member and a newer musky fisherman.

I'm 32, at the tail end of guys who grew up without 24/7 internet access and social media. I didnt have a computer at home until my early teens or a cell phone until I was an adult and could pay for my own. Even at that , it was a flip phone. Smart phones were still a bit of a rarity.

People my age look to different places for social interaction and information. Hop onto facebook and there are countless fishing groups, musky specific and otherwise. Type your keyword of choice into youtube and find thousands of hours of people filming fishing, videos on the latest baits, gear, techniques and tactics, filmed seminars, etc. There's an endless amount of information at your fingertips for free.

My perception of Muskies Inc. as a millenial is more that of a civic club than a social club. The people involved are very passionate about the organization, its causes and the sport.

I don't care to be involved personally at this time with Muskies Inc. but I do support what they represent and I'm more than happy to put some of my money toward that. My time is occupied by so many other obligations, its difficult to support with more than money on any regular basis.

I plan on attending some of the Chicagoland Muskie Hunters Meetings at North Branch this year to meet some local guys and hear the guest speakers.

ToddM
Posted 2/7/2020 7:08 AM (#953586 - in reply to #952940)

That is one of the main reasons to get involved, the causes. If you have caught a stocked fish in Illinois, not just a musky, even a descendant of a stocked fish in Illinois my club FRV as well as the other musky clubs in Illinois, the IMTT through the IMA has had a hand in putting that fish on the end of your line. The same can be said for any Muskies caught in Lake Geneva Wisconsin. We have even helped Indiana some. More than enough reason to be involved in some way. Go to their fundraising events, donate. We are the biggest contributors to the IDNR and their needs.

Edited by ToddM 2/7/2020 7:12 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)