Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Sharing information

Message Subject: Sharing information
ToddM
Posted 1/12/2016 8:39 PM (#799300 - in reply to #798721)
Subject: Re: Sharing information

The panfish action on the west side of vermillion is awesome. You try and get a meal of those on the east side and you will have Ethiopians nick naming you skinny.
TheShow
Posted 1/13/2016 7:38 AM (#799323 - in reply to #799298)

This is a great thread and I can see all sides of the argument. For me, I use this forum as a tool to network, learn, and share info. I have asked for advice here on new bodies of water - but I always offer up info on my home waters in return.

However, some of you have mentioned that it is more rewarding to learn a lake yourself; or you've said put your time in on the water and learn it for yourself. Well for me, I only get about 80 - 100 hours of hardcore musky fishing in per season. I don't have the ability to spend more time on the water. There's some of you who probably put 80 hours on the water in a week... I do that in an entire season! Our skill sets are apples to oranges. I appreciate networking to cut my learning curve down a bit. And I'll gladly return the favor.

I really want to try a PMTT event but I just can't justify it when I don't get the time on the water, the knowledge, the experience, that many of those anglers have.
Lumpy
Posted 1/13/2016 8:32 AM (#799325 - in reply to #798721)

I don't share everything with everybody, but I do share. There are a few Muskies Inc chapter members that I regularly share information about our main home water, and they in turn share back. My theory is that we work together to create the fishery we have, we might as well work together to catch them. I can't fish everyday, so I figure if I can't be out there catching them, hopefully someone who helped maintain the fishery can capitalize on it. Also, if I see a father/son at the launch or passing by on the water, I will always let them know what's been working for us, as I love seeing/hearing about kids getting fish.

Now, for waters that aren't as heavily fished, I keep that information very tight to my main couple of boat partners. And, my small rivers that I've figured out, well, those aren't shared with anyone other than my one buddy who explored them with me.
IAJustin
Posted 1/13/2016 10:05 AM (#799337 - in reply to #798721)

The mental approach to muskie fishing is a lot like hunting big whitetails with a bow in so many ways, funnels , looking for feeding patterns... On and on...You can adapt and overcome pressure, but your windows are much shorter and you better be "on point" when you get your opportunity. I'm analytical - so I'd just as soon figure things out on my own - much more rewarding. Most people share info to their "group" - Its just sometimes you get the telephone game and that group of 3-4 grows to 20+ and its too large for a good spot... Oh well lots of big muskies and deer to chase , sometimes it just forces you to find a new spot and pattern

Edited by IAJustin 1/13/2016 10:10 AM
musky513
Posted 1/13/2016 11:13 AM (#799352 - in reply to #798721)

Like many have said already, I find it more rewarding to figure them out on my own. Having summers off allows me to spend as much time on the water as I want...which is awesome. I used to fish bass tournaments and find myself being very analytical and keep a record of each day spent on the water. This, in my opinion, is a great advantage over those who do not. Patterns start to emerge from the data and quickly narrow down lakes, areas within the lakes, cover, baits to use, etc. to lead to a productive day on the water. Granted I've only had the sickness for about 4 years now, but my catch rates and number of encounters have increased with each passing year, much like anything else, the more time spent the more efficient a guy gets.
As far as sharing information with the few guys I fish with, we keep each other informed on whats going on on the lakes we fish. I prefer to keep the loop tight and not get too loose with information around guys I don't fish with... Just the way I am.
sworrall
Posted 1/14/2016 3:32 PM (#799545 - in reply to #798721)

Through the fog of all the crazy BP meds, I finally came up with the proper terminology I should have used when describing Herbie's guide day that put a 51.5 and a 53.5 in the boat for Keith and I, and why I would not offer that information to anyone else as a matter of courtesy. So here you go Nelley...the answer to your 'challenge' that sent this thread south from bull#*#* from the basement.

Not 'his spots'.

His knowledge.

He knows when, where, how, and why to hit the areas he fishes, and is pretty darned analytical about it. The 'spot' is not as relevant as the rest, as missing a tiny crease at the right time means no action...and so on. He knows what a lot of people do not know. If he shares that with me, it stays with me, and it's very possible I still have no clue what his process will be the very next day. Anyone who catches on to the the spot can fish that area, and not see a freaking thing, leaving one to wonder exactly what the hell Herbie does to boat so many monster muskies.

There's this spot by the Golf Course on the Goon. I've caught a few fiddies there over the years. It may be good the entire week I am there, one day, a couple hours, or not worth fishing. After 30 years, I know when it will hold the big girls, and when to go elsewhere. It's just a spot, right?

Same way we find the biggest, baddest crappies in any one system. The 'where' won't help much if you don't know the how, and when. I don't get upset when I come around a point headed to one of my favorite patterns and there's a boat or two there. I just come back the next time I think the fish will be where I want them to be and catchable using the technique I figured out for that area, or join 'em.
BNelson
Posted 1/14/2016 3:39 PM (#799547 - in reply to #798721)

so you didn't want to share his knowledge, which in part is a spot... if a guy doesn't want to share a "spot" well, then isn't a spot part of his knowledge? sort of splitting hairs if you ask me... I can respect that you didn't want to share his knowledge (and spots) but I also think it is sort of funny you were sort of talking down to the rest of us who don't want to share spots ...not because we feel they are "ours" or a "secret" but because it is knowledge we have gained from countless hours on the water and countless dollars spent...! now if you were talking about guys who think they own spots ...I agree, nodody owns a spot and it does sound funny when a guy says they do

Edited by BNelson 1/14/2016 3:41 PM
sworrall
Posted 1/14/2016 3:45 PM (#799548 - in reply to #799547)

BNelson - 1/14/2016 3:39 PM

so you didn't want to share his knowledge, which in part is a spot... if a guy doesn't want to share a "spot" well, then isn't a spot part of his knowledge? sort of splitting hairs if you ask me... I can respect that you didn't want to share his knowledge (and spots) but I also think it is sort of funny you were sort of talking down to the rest of us who don't want to share spots ...not because we feel they are "ours" or a "secret" but because is it knowledge we have gained from countless hours on the water and countless dollars spent...![/QUOT

Bull#*#*. Ramp up your reading comprehension.

It's not at all 'splitting hairs', and I didn't 'ask you'.

Arguing over who owns the water or has the 'right' to it IS like fleas arguing over who owns the dog. My point was and is most good muskie 'spots' were there before you, will be there after you, and are not as secret as most folks think. And I wasn't 'talking down' to anyone, if you took it that way perhaps you need to examine your own position on the matter more carefully... and develop a sense of humor.

'Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Well, you see, Aborigines don't own the land.They belong to it. It's like their mother. See those rocks? Been standing there for 600 million years. Still be there when you and I are gone. So arguing over who owns them is like two fleas arguing over who owns the dog they live on. '

Irony. Get it?

BNelson
Posted 1/14/2016 3:51 PM (#799549 - in reply to #799548)

my reading comprehension is just fine thank you. carry on.
it's an open forum, just adding my opinion and trust me many others that read your posts took them exactly the way I did... sharing info, sharing knowledge, sharing spots, it's up to each one of us to decide what we want to share or not share just like you did with Herbies knowledge tho I could argue that it is now your knowledge too ..and how many of us learn spots, techniques, etc...if you only could share what you, and you alone learned it might not be much to share... if you really think about it...

Edited by BNelson 1/14/2016 3:58 PM
jonnysled
Posted 1/14/2016 3:53 PM (#799551 - in reply to #799548)

i remember a particular time being on Eagle Lake in September in which the camp had a really tough year. later in the week i learned how Herbie was approaching the same week. he went outside of many boxes and scored. to me he is an intuitive guy who stretches the boundaries beyond what at least i was able or willing to do. when i found out what worked it made perfect sense and was something i'd seen before but wasn't smart enough to go to. the answer goes along with Slamr's summer hobby.
sworrall
Posted 1/14/2016 3:59 PM (#799552 - in reply to #799549)

BNelson - 1/14/2016 3:51 PM

my reading comprehension is just fine thank you. carry on.

I already explained what I intended regarding what your last post was arguing earlier in the thread. It's annoying to have to say the same thing 4 different ways. And no, I won't 'trust you' and frankly don't care if you or anyone else is offended, that's ridiculous. Why would you be? Why would anyone give a hoot what I think...any more that they might what YOU think? You know that saying about opinions and anatomy...eh, never mind.

Examine that.

'if you only could share what you, and you alone learned it might not be much to share.'

That applies to everyone. Time on the water, right? Tell me something you pioneered. Something you did no one else before you had EVER done fishing muskies. Then tell me you kept it to yourself. Wait, that won't work...:)

There's always elements of those who were there before us, and that is the entire point. Muskie fishing will always be that way because...or despite of any one angler's position on sharing info.

And it's not an 'open forum'. Never has been, thank goodness.

Carry on your own self...

I love Winternet.
Slamr
Posted 1/14/2016 4:01 PM (#799554 - in reply to #799552)

Please stop fighting
BNelson
Posted 1/14/2016 4:02 PM (#799555 - in reply to #799554)

site would really get boring without a little debating tho!
sworrall
Posted 1/14/2016 4:05 PM (#799556 - in reply to #798721)

Fact that is. I will now stop.
Jeremy
Posted 1/14/2016 5:36 PM (#799580 - in reply to #798721)

Meh, I think "We're all bozo's on this bus!"...

Man, the memories. Remember?

Edited by Jeremy 1/14/2016 5:37 PM
North of 8
Posted 1/15/2016 9:51 AM (#799690 - in reply to #799580)

Wow Jeremy, you really reached back for that one! Firesign Theater came out with that album when I was in the Army in the early 1970s and when everything was screwed up, someone was sure to say "We are all bozos on this bus!". It was even funnier when a group of us EOD guys were sent to the Utah desert to test the chemicals in various munitions (nerve gas, mustard) that had been stored for a couple decades. Half the team went into the bunker each day in full rubber suits, the other half could rest in the bus, standing by as safety team. Six hours in a rubber suit and gas mask in the Utah desert during the summer pretty well whupped you, so we went in every other day. The team on the bus always referred to themselves as the Bozos on the Bus. Thanks for the memories.
Jeremy
Posted 1/15/2016 11:02 AM (#799700 - in reply to #799690)

North of 8 - 1/15/2016 9:51 AM

Wow Jeremy, you really reached back for that one! Firesign Theater came out with that album when I was in the Army in the early 1970s and when everything was screwed up, someone was sure to say "We are all bozos on this bus!". It was even funnier when a group of us EOD guys were sent to the Utah desert to test the chemicals in various munitions (nerve gas, mustard) that had been stored for a couple decades. Half the team went into the bunker each day in full rubber suits, the other half could rest in the bus, standing by as safety team. Six hours in a rubber suit and gas mask in the Utah desert during the summer pretty well whupped you, so we went in every other day. The team on the bus always referred to themselves as the Bozos on the Bus. Thanks for the memories.

*grins*.. you betcha. Me, I was sitting in the rice paddies in SE Asia and keeping the head down, ala 1970-73 too.

Thanks very much for sharing. Those were important times for us older boys...

Cheers,

Jeremy.
eoreilly@fsmlawfirm.
Posted 1/15/2016 3:14 PM (#799758 - in reply to #799001)

First time on-won't be a regular. As to Eagle lake, raised a world class muskie out of the cabbage on the side of Strawberry Island ( far side from the highway-facing Musky Bay ) in mid Aug-nice day. In that I rarely fish there, I would like to know where "Muskie Point " is where Ed Walden got his in the 1930s because it is nostalgic to cross places like that. Thx. Ed
flyingfish8604
Posted 1/15/2016 3:30 PM (#799762 - in reply to #798721)

I'm all for sharing information, but it usually has to be done with care. I've gotten a ton of help from people on this site, but most has been general information and areas and approaches to try. The body of water that I was helped with has a very tough bite, but with the information I've been given, I can almost always find fish. I do not share many of the spots I've found because the information is not mine to share. I've taken a few people out and showed them fish that they said were not in the lake. I have to be careful with whom I tell because I've been burned in the past, usually by my brother. He is the type of person that wants GPS coordinates, bait, depth, presentation, etc. He's even hauled a few of his deadbeat friends to a few locations my wife and I stumbled upon, only to beat them to a froth. I've learned to limit my information sharing with people I know have a big mouth. Sharing info for me is a case by case judgment.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/15/2016 4:45 PM (#799774 - in reply to #798721)

When pressed about good spots, I try really hard not to share misinformation. I'm kidding of course. I'm always happy to help out newcomers with general info and how to find and fish more well known structures. Beyond that...well that's the whole game isn't it?
Musky Brian
Posted 1/15/2016 4:52 PM (#799777 - in reply to #799758)

eoreilly@fsmlawfirm. - 1/15/2016 3:14 PM

First time on-won't be a regular. As to Eagle lake, raised a world class muskie out of the cabbage on the side of Strawberry Island ( far side from the highway-facing Musky Bay ) in mid Aug-nice day. In that I rarely fish there, I would like to know where "Muskie Point " is where Ed Walden got his in the 1930s because it is nostalgic to cross places like that. Thx. Ed

Musky Point is probably the least sexiest legendary spot in the history of fishing.Its within eye sight of the south side of Strawberry. Gets the absolute crap pounded out of it.

You are just as likely to encounter a giant anywhere else in that area...imo
jonnysled
Posted 1/15/2016 5:00 PM (#799779 - in reply to #799777)

Hitchcock Rock and broke back bay are my favorite spots on Eagle ...

Edited by jonnysled 1/15/2016 5:01 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 1/15/2016 5:04 PM (#799780 - in reply to #798721)

Pecker Point. Biggest fish I've ever netted.

Have to admit, I've fished Musky Point more times than I can remember and have never even seen a fish on it.

Slamr
Posted 1/15/2016 5:15 PM (#799782 - in reply to #798721)

Wait, what is my summer hobby?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/15/2016 10:18 PM (#799834 - in reply to #799782)

Slamr - 1/15/2016 5:15 PM

Slamr- You have a hobby, like knitting or needle point?

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Have fun!
Al

esoxaddict
Posted 1/15/2016 10:39 PM (#799835 - in reply to #799782)

Slamr - 1/15/2016 5:15 PM

It's cool AJ. None of us think any less of you...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIQkyZlWtFIAYmw0n...
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/15/2016 11:29 PM (#799837 - in reply to #799835)

OMG EA! This is the best winternet post ever!

Even ToddM can't top that..

Have fun!
Al
ToddM
Posted 1/16/2016 11:03 AM (#799870 - in reply to #798721)

You can't top monty python. Somebody posted the parrot skit a couple weeks ago, classic.

Edited by ToddM 1/16/2016 11:04 AM
FAT-SKI
Posted 1/16/2016 12:18 PM (#799878 - in reply to #799024)

Jeff78 - 1/11/2016 9:31 AM

Let's see some of you ice fishing guys share your panny hot spots. You won't because the hordes will come in and fish it down to nothing. What is the difference between that and sharing your musky spots.

Most musky fisherman release their fish to be caught again by you or whomever. Most ice fishing panny guys only release the fish to their belly's .... thats the difference
Jeff78
Posted 1/16/2016 12:41 PM (#799879 - in reply to #799878)

FAT-SKI - 1/16/2016 12:18 PM

Jeff78 - 1/11/2016 9:31 AM

Let's see some of you ice fishing guys share your panny hot spots. You won't because the hordes will come in and fish it down to nothing. What is the difference between that and sharing your musky spots.

Most musky fisherman release their fish to be caught again by you or whomever. Most ice fishing panny guys only release the fish to their belly's .... thats the difference

You would be surprised at how many casual/accidental muskie fishers keep their catch.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)