Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

Message Subject: Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting
Propster
Posted 11/4/2015 6:55 AM (#791289 - in reply to #781042)
Subject: Re: Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

You won't overrun. I'd start with 3 pins (alternating) and very little tension on the cast control. Then use thumb as needed.
johndtuttle
Posted 11/4/2015 9:12 AM (#791305 - in reply to #791283)
Subject: RE: Revo Toro Beast Preview: A Revolution in Large Bait Casting

Jimmywho - 11/4/2015 3:57 AM

Thanks John et al, that's really useful.

Tbh im dreading using the reel this weekend, I took me a while to get used to the 6500 and avoiding birds nests , im thinking I'm going to get one on first cast with this and spend forever unpicking it.
So if I'm casting a 5oz dawg for a bit, then want to switch to a 2oz spoon, would you make any adjustments ? I was going to tighten the spool tension when changing over.

Also would you start off with 3 pins and some spool tension set, or 6 pins and no spool tension ?

Nothing to dread, these reels cast like a dream.

If you want to be conservative, start with all 6 pins pulled out and the mag brakes all dialed up then make easy casts (ie don't swing for the fences straight off) to slowly get a sense of how much braking you need. Then, use less and less until you get a balance between distance and control.

The rod has a lot to do with backlashes. If it easily loads then the lure will accelerate slower during the cast and make it much easier to control. Its when you really have to whip the rod to get the lure moving that you commonly run into trouble (and need a softer rod).

All in all, much easier to use with braid than a 6500. With the right amount of cast control dialed in you cast without even thinking about it anymore. Leaving it loose enough so you still need a little thumb will be max distance.
Jimmywho
Posted 11/4/2015 10:10 AM (#791313 - in reply to #791305)

The rod is new too , it's a st croix premier pm60hf, upgraded from a Pete mania pmx66mht.
I'm hoping this rod with the toro beast is a good combo, I only fish for pike from a boat in the uk, hope to head across the pond and try my hand at muskies some time
johndtuttle
Posted 11/5/2015 3:56 PM (#791472 - in reply to #791313)

Jimmywho - 11/4/2015 8:10 AM

The rod is new too , it's a st croix premier pm60hf, upgraded from a Pete mania pmx66mht.
I'm hoping this rod with the toro beast is a good combo, I only fish for pike from a boat in the uk, hope to head across the pond and try my hand at muskies some time

You'll love it. Truly state of the art. I fish salt primarily and was reluctant to comment on the cranking power for the big spinner baits muskie guys use...Took the reel out and fished some large lipped plugs that are strenuous with spinning gear or other baitcasters....

Even the high speed Beast (albeit with the longest handle) moved them so well the arm holding the rod is the one that tires, not the one cranking. It was a unique sensation feeling the rod throb in your hands from the big lipped baits while still cranking them effortlessly with the other.

The reel doesn't even notice lures that were a chore to fish before.
Juanfangio
Posted 1/6/2016 5:51 AM (#798302 - in reply to #791472)

johndtuttle - 11/5/2015 9:56 PM
You'll love it. Truly state of the art. I fish salt primarily and was reluctant to comment on the cranking power for the big spinner baits muskie guys use...Took the reel out and fished some large lipped plugs that are strenuous with spinning gear or other baitcasters....

Even the high speed Beast (albeit with the longest handle) moved them so well the arm holding the rod is the one that tires, not the one cranking. It was a unique sensation feeling the rod throb in your hands from the big lipped baits while still cranking them effortlessly with the other.

The reel doesn't even notice lures that were a chore to fish before. :-O

Well I've now used the reel for maybe 10 sessions of 8 hours and no overruns in 80 hours, i love this reel; my old 6501C3 would overrun every trip.
I do however find it hard switching from large bait, say 150g, to something thats maybe 70g - what adjustments to the reel woudl you make when changing to this lighter bait?
On the 150g bait I use zero brake, nearly zero on the dial adjust, and 3 pins in. When I switch to a lighter bait I nearly get overruns so I go back to larger baits.
johndtuttle
Posted 1/6/2016 3:01 PM (#798391 - in reply to #798302)

Juanfangio - 1/6/2016 3:51 AM

johndtuttle - 11/5/2015 9:56 PM

The reel doesn't even notice lures that were a chore to fish before. :-O

Well I've now used the reel for maybe 10 sessions of 8 hours and no overruns in 80 hours, i love this reel; my old 6501C3 would overrun every trip.
I do however find it hard switching from large bait, say 150g, to something thats maybe 70g - what adjustments to the reel woudl you make when changing to this lighter bait?
On the 150g bait I use zero brake, nearly zero on the dial adjust, and 3 pins in. When I switch to a lighter bait I nearly get overruns so I go back to larger baits.

You have to use more cast control. Dial up the mag control to full when you switch to lighter baits and back off as much as you can in successive casts to balance distance vs. brake needed.

You can also come up with a standard amount of centrifugal brake (the pins on the spool) that either works for both or allows you to dial in the mag brake (external) to get it right. For Example, I leave all of my pins "on" all the time and this lets me cast heavy or light by only adjusting the external mag control.

The reels are very fast casters, so they will need fine tuning for light baits that de-accelerate more quickly than heavy baits that cut through the air.
johndtuttle
Posted 1/6/2016 3:04 PM (#798393 - in reply to #781042)

On another note Abu Garcia confirms that replacement gear sets are available, and are $50 for the pair (main and pinion) for those that want to adjust the gear ratio of the reel they bought. The gears will work in the Toro-s or Toro Beast.

Let the tinkering begin!

Part numbers:

PINION T2 S60
MAIN GEAR T2 S60
curleytail
Posted 1/25/2016 12:38 PM (#801122 - in reply to #781042)

Steve Worrall, you've mentioned a few times in other posts that the S has this particular feel or balance that you really like. Seems you may prefer this reel in terms of feel and handling more than the Beast. Can you, or possibly John explain why that may be? It seems like they are essentially the same reel, with the Beast just having a few different/upgraded parts.

Also, does anybody know what replacement handles may cost, and are they readily available from Abu? I like the cost and inch per crank of the 60 S, but may want to change the handle at some point. If I want to try the unbalanced power handle, and/or the double paddle handle, I might be further ahead to just get the Beast if the handles are fairly expensive.

Finally, it sounds like the S, rated at 29" actually does over 30. I believe I read that somewhere - maybe in this thread. Is the Beast that's rated at 34" also greater than 34 inches per crank? If so, that might be a little faster than I want for a double 10 reel.

Either way, I need to have one of these in my lineup this summer.

Tucker
achotrod
Posted 1/26/2016 1:11 PM (#801265 - in reply to #781042)

I have both and no way would I say the S is better in anyway besides $$$$$$ and its mid ratio gearing, but you can put those gears in a Beast. Its a great reel but no beast.
curleytail
Posted 1/26/2016 5:33 PM (#801349 - in reply to #781042)

What would you say the beast does significantly better than the s? Changing the gears in the beast makes it a pretty spendy reel. Is the beast that much smoother? Cast farther?
sworrall
Posted 1/26/2016 10:03 PM (#801445 - in reply to #801265)

achotrod - 1/26/2016 1:11 PM

I have both and no way would I say the S is better in anyway besides $$$$$$ and its mid ratio gearing, but you can put those gears in a Beast. Its a great reel but no beast.

It feels better in my hands all day, is butter smooth, and just fits me nice. So no way would I agree with you no way. The Beast rocks, I just like the S personally. I don't throw double 10s much.
Pal
Posted 1/27/2016 9:29 AM (#801486 - in reply to #801445)

Steve,

Do you go with the 50 or 60 S ?

I don't through DB 10's all that much either.

Pal
sworrall
Posted 1/27/2016 11:24 AM (#801500 - in reply to #781042)

I have one of each, like them both. The 50 is what I started with.
achotrod
Posted 1/28/2016 11:34 AM (#801760 - in reply to #801349)

curleytail - 1/26/2016 5:33 PM

What would you say the beast does significantly better than the s? Changing the gears in the beast makes it a pretty spendy reel. Is the beast that much smoother? Cast farther?

Both my Beasts out cast and are smoother then my S by a good margin. Braking is much more adjustable for different size lures, spool tension knob is much nicer and has a clicker, even the paint job is nicer. I cant see how one would say the S fits them better since they share the same frames. The mid gearing is the only thing I think gives a good compromise in terms of speed and ease of retrieve. Ive seen Beasts online as low as $300, so even if you did decide to get the S gearing its still under retail price of $399. They are all awesome but for my $$ the Beast is worth the cost difference.
sworrall
Posted 1/28/2016 11:41 AM (#801764 - in reply to #781042)

It just feels better to me. That OK?
johndtuttle
Posted 1/28/2016 10:00 PM (#801876 - in reply to #781042)

Tastes great!

Less Filling!

Does that make me old?

There are some cases where the retrieve rate is the determining factor, others where the cost.

Given that is a new introduction it is reasonable that Abu did not offer both reels in all gear ratios. I use the reels in salt and would be very happy with the Toro S if I was on a budget and needed one reel.

But if not, then I like the extra speed of the Beast for popping or the lower gear for jigging. The Beast is a little more refined, but not a deal breaker or maker unless an extra hundy is no worries. And it sure is sweet.

I do lean towards recommending the Beast as a first reel if you can swing the finances as you do have all of the handle options which make it more versatile. If the reel is a little slow you can use the double paddle, if too fast or more cranking power is needed then you can use the jigging handle etc etc. With the Toro S you are kinda dialed into one thing and extra money spent on gears and handles brings you to Beast money very quick. But at least you have the option.

So, I do like them both and am happy to have a choice. The good news is that whatever you decide all the parts and optional handles are interchangeable so you can have a Toro Beast S or Toro S Beast if you want if you need to go faster or slower or more middlin'.
kdawg
Posted 1/29/2016 8:41 AM (#801919 - in reply to #801876)

The Toro Beast-smaller, smoother, lighter, and more powerful than my 7000's? Sounds good to me! kDAWG
Slamr
Posted 1/29/2016 8:48 AM (#801922 - in reply to #801764)

sworrall - 1/28/2016 11:41 AM

It just feels better to me. That OK?

Take Steve's comments with a grain of salt. He has hands the size of a baby raccoon's.
timhutson1
Posted 1/29/2016 9:37 AM (#801940 - in reply to #801922)

LOL
Ruddiger
Posted 1/31/2016 9:06 PM (#802271 - in reply to #801940)

Howdy,

Aside from the weight, how would the 50 size Toro Beast perform as a bass reel? I always liked using the 5500 (before reels got smaller) because of the large diameter spool allowing me to really bomb casts and cover water. I'd like to try the Toro Beast 50 (same size spool and 4.9:1 ratio) but don't know how it would perform casting lighter lures.

I had two opportunities to handle them in a store and, while they seemed heavy, it was hard to tell how much as both times the reels wee either hooked up to a coiled security wire or had an alarm fob hanging on it. Both devices increased the weight considerably so its was hard to tell if it was too heavy or if that was caused because of the aforementioned security devices.

Any thoughts on the weight and ability to cast light lures from those that have used it would be most appreciated.

Take care,

Ruddiger
sworrall
Posted 1/31/2016 9:14 PM (#802272 - in reply to #781042)

I fished bass with mine last Fall, tossed the middle sized bass stuff fine.
Ruddiger
Posted 2/1/2016 6:11 AM (#802287 - in reply to #781042)

Howdy,

Steve, when you say middle sized bass stuff (everyones definition differs) could it throw a 1/4 ounce lure if paired on a properly matched rod for that lure? For example, a DT 6 on a St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass crankbait rod?

Take care,

Ruddiger
DaveG
Posted 2/1/2016 4:57 PM (#802415 - in reply to #781042)

Iv been wondering which one to go for, to save me looking through the whole thread can someone tell me if theres a significant difference between the 51 and 61 in terms of physical size? thanks in advance.

Dave
StevenJ1981
Posted 2/18/2016 8:12 AM (#805376 - in reply to #781042)

So I just upgrade from my NACL to the beast 60 4.9 I like to you 100lb tuf line. Was curious how much backing people are putting on it? I do understand different lines, different amount of backing. Just wanted a little insight to what other people are doning?
StevenJ1981
Posted 2/18/2016 8:21 AM (#805383 - in reply to #781042)

Sorry for double post. Can delete one of them.
johnsonaaro2
Posted 2/18/2016 9:36 AM (#805401 - in reply to #781042)

I had 100 lb suffix 832 on mine last season and will be switching to 80 lb on it this season. casted great with 100 lb but bomb casts left the spool diameter smaller than i'd like. not sure if others had a similar experience with 100 lb on it
curleytail
Posted 2/18/2016 7:38 PM (#805521 - in reply to #781042)

To get the spool filled correctly, I put the amount of braid that I want on, then fill the spool up with backing. Then walk the line off and reverse it so braid is on top. No clue how much backing any of my reels have.
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/18/2016 9:45 PM (#805537 - in reply to #805521)

curleytail - 2/18/2016 7:38 PM

To get the spool filled correctly, I put the amount of braid that I want on, then fill the spool up with backing. Then walk the line off and reverse it so braid is on top. No clue how much backing any of my reels have.

What he said. Then, subsequent spoolings with same diam line will yield same future volume
Dafterzip
Posted 2/19/2016 6:26 AM (#805555 - in reply to #781042)

I saw someone asked earlier about where to purchase the power handle with no response, anyone know if they are available now?
Thanks
Ken
PIKEMASTER
Posted 2/19/2016 12:33 PM (#805576 - in reply to #781042)

The Beast and the S has a all new Square drive shaft, so the handles for them will not fit anything else.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)